SDA Playlist

Comments

• JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    http://klf.de/home/record/come-down-dawn/

This is a “new” album from the “old” electronic group The KLF. I will tell you I’ve not had a more immersive SDA experience in a long time. Epic! It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, and not really what I listen to on the daily but their imaginative mixes and experiments back in the day were always a personal favorite.

This is a reworked version of their classic album Chill Out that follows an imaginary trip from Brooklyn to Mexico City. It felt like it was remixed specifically for SDA! Almost constantly there are sounds and audible “objects” all around if you listen with your eyes closed. The steel guitar samples in “Baltimore to Fair Play” are haunting! What a trip! Well mixed. And the sub-sonics are sometimes very surprising in a very cool way. Give ‘er a whirl! I’m curious to hear your impressions. 👍🏻👍🏻
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • I'm sure this has been posted before.

Sounds amazing on my SDA-2B

https://youtu.be/7zjU28f6sE4
  • DOTK
    DOTK Posts: 4
    WOW...the new LORDE Album SOLAR POWER is really really engineered well with an amazing sound stage on my set of gen 1 CRS (w RD0194s) . Find a high res version and check it out...for sure the songs SOLAR POWER and OCEANIC FEELING! The cicadas moving around in and out during OCEANIC FEELING were unexpected and put a smile on my face. The last vocal in SOLAR POWER snapped my head across the room!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Good to see this thread still alive!
  • lms
    lms Posts: 26
    This is awesome as I'm about to setup some crs+ in the next month or so and wanted to have a few albums where I could compare.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited December 2021
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited January 2022
    Whether you like TOOL or not, this is a must listen on the SDA’s..

Chocolate Chip Trip..

https://youtu.be/POdNTtDi-eA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I was so disappointed that track wasn't on my original super expensive CD I sold it.
  • djreef
    djreef Posts: 71
    I bought the Hi-Rez download right when it came out, so I got everything - Totally blew me away. Clearly the best thing they’ve done since Aenima.
    = 8-->{I>
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I have been playing some of these tracks from page one that were used on the original SDA, and man do they make the L800 shine!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    John, happy to hear you're digging the new L800's. If I wasn't so intent on getting a hot tub right now I'd seriously consider getting a pair. Glad you drummed up this old discussion. Some awesome tracks here!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • I'm posting prematurely, but one of the first 10 songs on my re-done, new-to-me, never-SDA'd-before 1c will be this:

https://youtu.be/K7ZqZVunCb4

And live? They are amazing:

https://youtu.be/QRg_8NNPTD8
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • lms
    lms Posts: 26
    If you like southern rock, The best of The Outlaws shines. The separation of the 3 guitars is amazing on most of the songs when listening through my crs's. Of all my cd's, this is top 5.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    lms wrote: »
    If you like southern rock, The best of The Outlaws shines. The separation of the 3 guitars is amazing on most of the songs when listening through my crs's. Of all my cd's, this is top 5.

I somewhat matured to this group. Little Feet too.

When I was around 17 to 20, I had to drive 20 miles to get to somewhere. The Outlaws 8-tracks were played A LOT.

Green Grass and High Tides... <3 Forever. :p

I'll have to find my CD and play it soon!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • djreef
    The live album has been in steady rotation for decades in my system.
    = 8-->{I>
  • A mix/production quality question:

I'm going through a lot of music from this list, making playlists to play right now on my Monitor 12 so I can do a well-listened comparison to the 1c.

3 albums that stand out, so far, to me are:

- The Wall (original CD master)
    - Guero by Beck
    - The Gereg by The Hu

A question:

What other albums do you guys recommend that match the fullness, presentation, instrumental separation, tonal accuracy, and overall presence of The Wall?

I'm a lifelong Rush fan, but after listening to The Wall repeatedly, Moving Pictures sounds oddly antiseptic and... I don't know... flat? Not dull... just lacking the dynamic completeness of The Wall.

So, now I'm looking for other albums that have the balance and richness of The Wall.

Anyone else know what I mean?

Anyone else have SDA recommendations based on that?
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I've yet to hear a Rush album that was recorded at that level....or anywhere close to it, for that matter. Damned shame too.

Here is a recommendation for something even better than PF's The Wall. "Ascent" (song 1) from Don Dorsey off of the Telarc album "Time Warp", performed by one of my favorites. Erich Kunzel and the Cincinatti Pops Orchestra.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • djreef
    A mix/production quality question:

I'm going through a lot of music from this list, making playlists to play right now on my Monitor 12 so I can do a well-listened comparison to the 1c.

3 albums that stand out, so far, to me are:

- The Wall (original CD master)
    - Guero by Beck
    - The Gereg by The Hu

A question:

What other albums do you guys recommend that match the fullness, presentation, instrumental separation, tonal accuracy, and overall presence of The Wall?

I'm a lifelong Rush fan, but after listening to The Wall repeatedly, Moving Pictures sounds oddly antiseptic and... I don't know... flat? Not dull... just lacking the dynamic completeness of The Wall.

So, now I'm looking for other albums that have the balance and richness of The Wall.

Anyone else know what I mean?

Anyone else have SDA recommendations based on that?

Pick up an original Mercury ‘atomic’ copy of the CD, or download the hi-rez version two (the one that has the dynamics still intact). You’ll get that depth and width quality back in spades.
    = 8-->{I>
  • tramp59
    tramp59 Posts: 13
    Frank Zappa-Jazz From Hell. Pretty much anything he produced is top shelf. As is Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler.

Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.
    HST
  • djreef wrote: »
    Pick up an original Mercury ‘atomic’ copy of the CD, or download the hi-rez version two (the one that has the dynamics still intact). You’ll get that depth and width quality back in spades.

I'll check. I know I still have some of the Mercury atomics... just not Moving Pictures =(

I'll also check the hi-rez versions.

Moving Pictures and Synchronicity were the first CDs I bought with allowance money... in 1987. Most of Synchronicity is really rich on that original CD. I'll give that one a re-listen this week =)

• tramp59 wrote: »
    Frank Zappa-Jazz From Hell. Pretty much anything he produced is top shelf. As is Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler.

I never liked Money for Nothing (something about the McEnroe headband and the computer graphics...). But I can see I need to suck it up and give them a chance [laughs].

Jazz From Hell = I like Joe's Garage... but jazz makes me anxious. I can't follow it when it gets crazy. Is he gonna make me crazy?
  • treitz3 wrote: »
    I've yet to hear a Rush album that was recorded at that level....or anywhere close to it, for that matter. Damned shame too.

Here is a recommendation for something even better than PF's The Wall. "Ascent" (song 1) from Don Dorsey off of the Telarc album "Time Warp", performed by one of my favorites. Erich Kunzel and the Cincinatti Pops Orchestra.

I'm hoping the ones reef suggested make a difference.

I'll put your suggestions in the queue.

And I should've responded to all 3 of you in one post... Sorry everybody for the alerts!

• Been comparing Spotify Premium and Amazon Prime (Ultra HD) through my analog out vs the digital out from my 94 Nakamichi CD. Main reference source = The Wall

CD beats those 2, no contest.

My Yamaha has a Sound Enhancer mode for digitally compressed music. It makes an audible difference on the streaming sources. But still not close to the digital signal from my 28 year old player...

How do you lot listen to your music on these speakers to get the best quality?

Debating on modding my 4th Gen iPod and stuffing lossless tunes on it. Or taking my MacBook Pro that still has an optical out and using that.

The world of standalone DACs and how that could factor in escapes me...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    If the bitstream is not there no amount of processing will bring it back. :D
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    FLAC (16/44) stored on OMV NAS box. All devices Gigabit hard wired. Raspberry Pi4, Allo BOSS2 DAC, IOT Electronic Allo Nirvana SMPS power supply. I have yet to find a streaming service that is adequate, so I rip my own files. Absolutely no signal processing. Schiit Freya + passive mode, Krell KAV-250a, SDA SRS I. If it's not spinning, it's NAS streamed.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • djreef
    crashb4 wrote: »
    FLAC (16/44) stored on OMV NAS box. All devices Gigabit hard wired. Raspberry Pi4, Allo BOSS2 DAC, IOT Electronic Allo Nirvana SMPS power supply. I have yet to find a streaming service that is adequate, so I rip my own files. Absolutely no signal processing. Schiit Freya + passive mode, Krell KAV-250a, SDA SRS I. If it's not spinning, it's NAS streamed.

Agreed. I use an old Apple MacBook Pro with a 4TB expansion drive, and load my own. I abhor the sound of most re-masters, so I purposely seek out the older pressings and download un-mastered hi-rez to load.
    = 8-->{I>
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    There are few remasters that I find worth wile. That said, a few of the Led Zeppelin original remasters are quite good compared to the original releases.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • djreef
    crashb4 wrote: »
    There are few remasters that I find worth wile. That said, a few of the Led Zeppelin original remasters are quite good compared to the original releases.

Yea, those and the Foreigner remasters were pretty good. Plus anything Steve Hoffman and Steven Wilson does seems to be well done.
    = 8-->{I>
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 990
    What was the original Polk recommended playlist for the SDA’s?
  • djreef
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    What was the original Polk recommended playlist for the SDA’s?

Click on page 1.
    = 8-->{I>