Not thrilled with the Klipsch Heresy 1s

newbie308
newbie308 Posts: 674
After reading about Klipsch Heresy's on this forum and others, I decided to pull the trigger on a pair of Heresy 1s with Crites A crossovers and titanium diaphragms already installed. My first impression is, "I don't understand the love for these speakers!"

Maybe I need more time with them, but I really don't like the sound of male vocals I'm hearing.

A little about my system. Jolida JD502 amp with KT88s, JD9 preamp, Technics SL1200MK2 with SME3009 arm. Vinyl is my only source.

Until I plugged in the Heresy's, I had Polk SDA 1As
Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    You're not alone.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Klipsch excel at home theater, and little else.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• newbie308
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Klipsch excel at home theater, and little else.

I'm seriously considering doing just that with them and putting the SDAs back in the 2ch system until I find something better. I love the way my Polk speakers sound,but the look butt ugly. The boxes are beat to death with busted corners, water marks, and Nick's. The covers are gone, too.

Maybe it's time to build new cases with oak plywood or MDF...
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    The Heresies aren’t listenable without room correction. Even then, with sub(s), they are the least favorite of all my speakers, and I have many.

The good news is you should be able re-coup what you paid if you didn’t pay too much yourself.

Planning to sell mine soon.

I do like Cornwall IV, however, those are $$$.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    great disco/party speakers
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Give them time and you'll learn to hate them. Especially with the titanium tweets. If you can find the original ones, put them in and throw away the TT's they are harsh. Some people love them though.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I suggest ear plugs.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Don't be knocking titanium tweeters, they can sound excellent
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I had 3 pair come and go here. Their best quality is they sell quickly and for good money. I have no idea why some people like their sound.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited June 2022
    They are very aggressive, harsh and shrill loudspeakers, with very limited bass output.
    They are sensitive, and can be fun and even rewarding with certain types of music (small combo jazz and some acoustic music), if excellently recorded & mastered. They are unforgiving of poorly recorded or mastered material (including most "pop" recordings).

They will be at their best (IMO and IME) with lower-powered vacuum tube amplification. A push-pull EL84 amplifier will work well with them, as will a single-ended direct-heated triode amplifier using, e.g., 2A3 or 300B power output tubes. Solid state amps tend to be extra harsh and gritty with them (again IME and IMO). A McIntosh MC-225 (PP 7591A) or Marantz 8B (PP EL34) would also be good, but pricey, choices for them. The popular Fisher 400/500C/800C receivers (PP 7591A outputs, like the aforementioned MC-225) work well with the "Heritage" Klipsch loudspeakers, tending to smooth off their rough edges. The Fishers are more reasonably priced than the aforementioned Mac, Marantz, and SE amplifier options -- if the OP wanted to try to rescue the Heresys. ;)

I owned a pair of their big siblings, the Cornwalls, for a decade.
    The vintage big Altecs of their era (and before) are much, much better sounding loudspeakers.

If the OP wants something like the Heresy in size and sensitivity, but easier to live with, seek out a pair of Electrovoice Esquires ("Esquire 200", the early version, with 8" midrange driver) from the early 1960s. Hard to find, but likely cheaper than a pair of Heresys and much smoother and more pleasant to listen to. :)

9646591383_35cc2a8bf7_b.jpg
  • newbie308
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    They are very aggressive, harsh and shrill loudspeakers, with very limited bass output.
    They are sensitive, and can be fun and even rewarding with certain types of music (small combo jazz and some acoustic music), if excellently recorded & mastered. They are unforgiving of poorly recorded or mastered material (including most "pop" recordings).

They will be at their best (IMO and IME) with lower-powered vacuum tube amplification. A push-pull EL84 amplifier will work well with them, as will a single-ended direct-heated triode amplifier using, e.g., 2A3 or 300B power output tubes. Solid state amps tend to be extra harsh and gritty with them (again IME and IMO). A McIntosh MC-225 or Marantz 8B would also be good, but pricey, choices for them. The popular Fisher 400/500C/800C receivers (PP 7591A outputs, like the aforementioned MC-225) work well with the "Heritage" Klipsch loudspeakers, tending to smooth off their rough edges. The Fishers are more reasonably priced than the aforementioned Mac, Marantz, and SE amplifier options -- if the OP wanted to try to rescue the Heresys. ;)

I owned a pair of their big siblings, the Cornwalls, for a decade.
    The vintage big Altecs of their era (and before) are much, much better sounding loudspeakers.

If the OP wants something like the Heresy in size and sensitivity, but easier to live with, seek out a pair of Electrovoice Esquires ("Esquire 200", the early version, with 8" midrange driver) from the early 1960s. Hard to find, but likely cheaper than a pair of Heresys and much smoother and more pleasant to listen to. :)

9646591383_35cc2a8bf7_b.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a Fisher 600 receiver with 7591 output tubes. I can give that a try, but I am more inclined to relist these and look at alternatives. In regards to size, I would like something smaller. My current dwelling is 288 years old and has very small rooms with odd shapes. It's very difficult to place speakers correctly, so I think smaller is better in my situation.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    Yeah, you should sell them. As others have mentioned, they hold their value well -- which is puzzling, but true. ;)

Smaller will be harder in terms of finding good sound and reasonable sensitivity (per "Hoffman's Iron Law"). You might get away with a pair of the new Polk R200 with PP KT88 amplification, but your amp might run out of steam with them. I quite like the R200s, FWIW, but I do use 'em with soiled state solid state amplification. :#

EDIT: Fisher 600 with 7591A? I am drawing a blank. I remember the 600T, but it's soiled state. ;) ... and there was a 600 "tuner/amplfier" with separate AM and FM tuners to receive AM-FM stereo simulcasts, but it appears to have used 7189 outputs.
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/fisher/600.shtml
    Now that I think about it, the 600 has a vacuum tube rectifier, doesn't it?

wu4z6cm5o4tg.png
    source: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1960_radioshack_catalog.html

• newbie308
    Yeah, you should sell them. As others have mentioned, they hold their value well -- which is puzzling, but true. ;)

Smaller will be harder in terms of finding good sound and reasonable sensitivity (per "Hoffman's Iron Law"). You might get away with a pair of the new Polk R200 with PP KT88 amplification, but your amp might run out of steam with them. I quite like the R200s, FWIW, but I do use 'em with soiled state solid state amplification. :#

EDIT: Fisher 600 with 7591A? I am drawing a blank. I remember the 600T, but it's soiled state. ;) ... and there was a 600 "tuner/amplfier", but it appears to have used 7189 outputs https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/fisher/600.shtml

This is a brass faceplate Fisher "The 600" with a compliment of 22 vacuum tubes. I think it is 1959 vintage with an external multiplexer.
  • newbie308

EDIT: Fisher 600 with 7591A? I am drawing a blank. I remember the 600T, but it's soiled state. ;) ... and there was a 600 "tuner/amplfier" with separate AM and FM tuners to receive AM-FM stereo simulcasts, but it appears to have used 7189 outputs.

wu4z6cm5o4tg.png
    source: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1960_radioshack_catalog.html

I just looked at the R200's per your recommendation. Very attractive speakers, and a reasonable price, too! Based on their size, I presume a subwoofer should be included in the setup?
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    newbie308 wrote: »

wu4z6cm5o4tg.png

I just looked at the R200's per your recommendation. Very attractive speakers, and a reasonable price, too! Based on their size, I presume a subwoofer should be included in the setup?

I guess it depends on one's expectations.
    I do (usually) use one, but they're good sounding full range in my roughly 25 x 25 foot space.
    Compared to the Heresys' LF -- naaaah, no subwoofer needed! ;)

• mhardy6647
    That Fisher 600 receiver is a cool piece. They're not common.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    They aren’t for everyone! In the 70’s I lived in an old church that was turned into something of a hippie style building for wayward teenagers! Those were the speakers that were planted there and I remember them being played so long and loud nobody could sleep! I lasted almost 3 months there and swear it was the speakers that drove me to my own nice little apartment 😊
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    in fairness to Klipsch (EDIT: and to old churches! ;) ), the pro version of the Heresy (KP201 or KP250) played the part of Margo TImmins for the Cowboy Junkies famous "live" Calrec mic recording that we know as The Trinity Sessions. :)

To record her vocals, Margo was actually not in the circle with the boys when that epochal recording was made. :o You can see the Heresy on the right in the photo below. :)

She was, of course, close by!

02nmsf6v6xdw.png

yiho03wu8yf4.png

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/cowboy-junkies-sweet-jane

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    They might sound better if you order takeout from Chipotle while listening to them.

390hfupajpya.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    ^^^ Yes, and painfully so IME. Chipotles (or is that Chipotleses?) tend to be noisy, "hot" acoustic environments as is. I did indeed notice the speakers when further assaulted by (to me) agonizingly metallic sounding music atop the intrinsic, steely din (not tot be confused with Steely Dan). :#

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    VR3 wrote: »
    Don't be knocking titanium tweeters, they can sound excellent

I was referring to a horn.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    Yeah, the Crites upgrades -- aren't exactly my cup of tea for these already-edgy loudspeakers. :|
  • Never heard them, Cornwall IV are my favorite speaker though.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 wrote: »

wu4z6cm5o4tg.png

I guess it depends on one's expectations.
    I do (usually) use one, but they're good sounding full range in my roughly 25 x 25 foot space.
    Compared to the Heresys' LF -- naaaah, no subwoofer needed! ;)

I've decided that I'm going to relist the Heresy's and purchase something else (Polk audio) instead. To that end, I just saw a pair of Lsi M 703's for sale locally on marketplace. Now I need to choose between the new R200's or the used Lsi M's. They are very similar in price, so that's not a factor. I really like the Jolida JD502 and I'm not inclined to purchase a solid state amplifier, and I'm not sure about the efficiency of the R200 or how well the R200 will perform with KT88's driving them, but I understand that the Lsi M 703 pairs well with tubes from reading reviews on here... Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I’d be inclined to say R200
    As for the 703’s …6550’s in the Jolida have better bass response than the 88’s
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    LSiM 703’s are better than the R200’s. I don’t know what they are asking for the 703’s but I bet you could get them to come down a bunch. If not, wait awhile.