Not thrilled with the Klipsch Heresy 1s

Options
2»

Comments

• MikeUp
    MikeUp Posts: 86
    edited July 2022
    Options
    My good friend who is the farthest thing from an audio enthusiast or audiophile, but does like to listen to his vinyl. He bought some Klipsch bookshelf speakers around $800, he didn't know the model number. The more he listened to them in his house, the more he hated them. Same reason I don't like Klipsch, the bright sound.

So he got rid of the Klipsch and bought some Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary speakers and loves them.
    On to new and better adventures
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Wharfedale and Klipsch are completely opposite each other sonically.

I have both and don’t listen to the Heresys at all. I like the Cornwall IVs, though.

Have to agree with your friend.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Options
    I redid these 1977 Heresy 1’s that belong to a cousin recently. I tried all of my amps and found that the little 1030 was their happiest pairing. Top end is really smooth, especially at low levels. But, in all honesty, I’m glad they don’t belong to me.

I have read that there is a good woofer/porting mod where the cabinet receives some damping and the rear board receives a port. Several threads I found on AK seemed to really laud this upgrade, but just the Crites x-over kit (consists of sonicaps, some plastic mounts and zip ties…) didn’t really win me over. Still a fun project and I’ve enjoyed getting to know them.

4thnpu1qi013.jpeg
    sqwu2mp8n0lc.jpeg
    2vvsaseuh1gl.jpeg
    s1gmz4hqeucm.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    ^^^ nice photos.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I bought a set before. Sold them QUICK ! Thought I might have had them wired out of phase on one channel. Swapped it out to see, same sound. Still have a set of Forte's and a set of Quartets and both of them sound very, very nice. I do not take to the "titanium" diaphragm either. I like the stock better. I have a set of Warfedale rosedale's that will blow the Heresy off the map with ease. I will have to say that the Heresy was made for a center channel speaker to accompany the Corner Horn so......
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 999
    edited August 2022
    Options
    If that was a pic of the heresy’s how could that be?
    No bass with a driver that large?

Never heard any klipsch…..
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    If that was a pic of the heresy’s how could that be?
    No bass with a driver that large?

Never heard any klipsch…..

Because it is a misaligned woofer in too-small a sealed box. Theoretically an infinite baffle (not acoustic suspension), but in fact just a bassless loudspeaker. Not the Colonel's finest hour (despite the fact that Klipsch has sold zillons of them over six or so decades in, AFAIK, continuous production).

I believe that the Model H (original Heresy) was introduced in 1957 or 1958.

In fairness, Klipsch did, at least for a while, make a ported variant of the Heresy for the pro sound market (as I alluded to, very obliquely, in the Trinity Sessions post on the first page). I've never heard one, but it might(??) do a bit better than the classic domestic version of the Heresy.

jwg0urd80bb2.png
    https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/103867-details-on-kp-250-speakers/

I think (?!?) even the current Heresy IV still uses a sealed box/IB alignment -- and an accordion surround woofer that's probably not capable of much bass in such a small box.

wxp475smcxbk.png.
    https://www.klipsch.com/products/heresy-iv-floorstanding-speaker

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited August 2022
    Options
    IIRC, the heresy was originally intended to be center fill for the big boys. Not sure what that really meant back in the day, but somewhere along the line Klipsch marketing convinced the general public they would be great main speakers. Not!
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    Options
    You are correct as to the original intent of the Hersey, although I am pretty sure that the Col. himself also endorsed their "Heretical" ;) use as "mains".
    I.e., I don't thnk we can/should just blame the marketeers. ;)

As an aside, Klipsch also very much endorsed the Cornwall for derived-center channel fill for a pair of K-Horns! :o

48555295941_b340bcaf78_b.jpg
    early '70s brochure cover. That's a Cornie in the middle; K-horns are kind of large. B)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Is anybody else's OCD on overdrive with this pic?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Needs some room treatments and I'm wondering where the electronics be hiding at? The reflections off what appears to be metal doors can't be helpful but then again khorn's are better seen rather than heard imo.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    He's talking about the two pics on the wall. Yep, that would bug the crap out of me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    They serve a purpose, but great "HiFi" sound is not their forte.

They work great as a limited bass speaker, with fairly high output level in some settings, but just NO deep bass and a somewhat bumpy response.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    He's talking about the two pics on the wall. Yep, that would bug the crap out of me.

It was the '70s, and they were from Arkansas. Cut 'em a little slack!
    B)

PS Just kidding about the Arkansas thing. I don't want this to turn into another Leon Russell thing where, I dunno, the Governor of Arkansas (or, worse yet, a former Gov. of AR) joins Club Polk to set the record straight. :#
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/177800/leon-russells-estate-sale-i-had-to-smile
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Meaning the couch??