Preamp output question

Ceruleance
Ceruleance Posts: 991
my friend blew his budget on a massive HDTV and wants to save on the surround sound, so I am trying to use the tv's built in L and R speakers as fronts and just get him the other 3.1 speakers (polk's no doubt !) My question is, If i buy a receiver with pre-outs such as the denon AVR-1802 (L,R, C, Sub preouts) and then connect the left and right to the tv, will the volume of the preouts fluctuate, allowing the TV speakers to operate at different levels according to the receiver, or are the receivers pre-outs a constant volume?
Post edited by Ceruleance on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    will the volume of the preouts fluctuate, allowing the TV speakers to operate at different levels according to the receiver

yes
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    I would advise against that mode of thinking. Obviously, if it works out for your friend, no worries. What I would consider is this, figure what a sub, center and two rears go for, you could buy a good pair of main speaks. I would do that and start out with a good foundation of sound. A quality pair of front speaks is, IMO, more important than the other 3.1 channels. Then add the sub, center and rears as money becomes more available. Just my opinion though.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    I agree to that logic.Start with the mains and build off them as the money flow's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited May 2002
    it's not that there is no money available to spend, its just that he doesnt want to spend that much, but also doesnt want some home theatre in a box type thing. The built in speakers are no joke, i forget the specs but they are 3 way with a 10inch woofer. the fronts and the other 3.1 channels would be about the same price i agree with you, but wouldnt it be better to start with a 5.1 rig and upgrade to some serious fronts if and when you want to? Can any comment on the feasibility of the volume control?
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    It's a personal quest.Can't answer the question.But can comment on what I would do.
    I stand my ground on good pair of mains first, then move over into a center,sub,rears.
    For one thing, the tv speakers are not going to match the Polk's you finish off the system with.Thats one main reason I wouldn't use the tv speakers.
    Use the Tv speakers for late night watching.If you want theater, gotta spend the cash.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    If the dude in question is on a QUEST for 5.1 then yes, he could probably get away with it. I still think folks underestimate the good sound of quality 2ch stereo sound. It can be very satisfying. I will take good 2ch over half-assed 5.1 every day of the week and twice on Sunday....

I think he might have a volume control issue as well although I could very well be talking out of my arse. It could probably be done though.

BDT
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    I will take good 2ch over half-assed 5.1 every day of the week and twice on Sunday....

Me TOO! :D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • cgravil
    cgravil Posts: 101
    edited May 2002
    Originally posted by Ceruleance
    but also doesnt want some home theatre in a box type thing.

You know... Polk makes some GREAT home theaters in a box.
    Check them out here

I'm gonna use an analogy here....

Don't buy a sports car and put in cheap gas.

IMHO. Your friend can go to CC and get a nice set of polks for ~600 the RM6200's they are loud and clean. and on top of that they sound pretty darn good too... but um hey their polk. <go figure!>
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    I like your analogy,
    I perfer in compare...wire!!
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    I still say have your friend handle up on some good main speaks and go from there.....

Then go to HD and pick up some good 14awg wire to hook them up with. :D

BDT
  • dllarkin
    dllarkin Posts: 33
    edited May 2002
    Ceruleance,

If you do it the way you're talking about, then you'll have a center channel sitting on top of the TV, and the main L&R in the TV.

Soundstage = 0

He probably won't even know that he is listening to 5.1 sound. I agree with the other posters... get a pair of mains. Then you could always use the TV's speakers for the center ch. Just use a 'Y' out of the center pre-out and hook up to TV L&R. I know it won't be a good timbre match, but hey at least the sound will be coming from the right spot.

Then you've only got surrounds to go, and some decent ones can be had for very little $.

just my $.02,
    David