Magnepan LRS... thoughts.

Options
124»

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited April 2022
    Options
    This just dropped from Steve Guttenberg (Audiophiliac). Appears (sounds!) as though the "+" is not just about the stands. Although a bit of a price bump...If you trust his reviews, for me, the + would be my choice...
    "The NEW Magnepan LRS+ vs. Original LRS and KEF LS50 META!"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGR6iw9FpkI
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    Options
    You can still get the original LRS. The LRS+ is offered as an option. I'm trying to find out if there is any difference between the two models besides the upgraded stands.

Your spot in the queue remains the same whether you stay with the LRS or go go for the LRS+. My delivery date remains the same...Sept.
    I'm mulling over just staying with the LRS & adding stands later or go with the LRS+.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Guttenberg pointed out the option to upgrade for existing orders...still enough time, I'd assume, that you can decide prior to Sep if you drag your feet; there should be more reviews to help you decide?
    Wonder what details Magnepan will actually tell you since Steve said he wasn't able to find out (or he wasn't allowed to say).

Based on his observations and knowing me, it'd bother me knowing there was a bit more performance to be had. Heck, I always think about any equipment purchase w/the intent of DIY upgrades at a later date. I'm an audio tweeker by nature. Not sure these panels are DIY friendly w/the exception of the stands. Also thought it interesting that he found taller stands worked better in his situation.

Considering the price point of the LRS, I can understand balking at an ~25% price difference for the + if price is also a driving consideration. Regardless, I'm really interested to hear a set of these in either configuration.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    The stands on the + appear to be very similar to those sold by a company called Magnestand (I believe).
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Yep... the company is Magna Risers. Even nicer because you can choose from a few different models & they come in black (my preference)
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I've decided to stay with the LRS & not go with the LRS+. The stands shown in the LRS+ photos are prototypes & not included. The stock stands are identical on them both.
    The LRS+ will also take longer, they will start building them once all LRS orders are filled.
    Still shooting for September delivery.