Options

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    edited March 2022
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    Dealing in hash? LMAO!!!
    LOL....ummm, stories for not on the net and I also lived near Frankfurt and in Munich. I do know the event you're referring to, believe it was in Heidelberg. Can you imagine getting away with half the stuff he did while serving (cough, cough) back in the day?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    If I don't have work I'm in.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I was never stationed in Germany......been through Rhein Main and Ramstein a few times enough to wish I HAD gotten stationed there.

Some of the old timers when I first came in had some REALLY epic stories about Germany back in the 60's and 70's........
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I enjoyed watching this setup video. The practice of ear height even a 1/2" can make the difference. Reason why stands and chairs are part of my chain when purchasing and setting up a system.
    Jaycee thanks for sharing this...At 10:44 I have been introduced to a "new to me Clandestine Amigo frontwoman Jessica Carson."

Doing some googling and Tidal searches discovered some dynamic recording even listening through Youtube and Tidal on my desktop rig you will notice.
    Upon further investigation, on why Paul has a sweet spot...(pun intended) for using them in demo's.
    1- Jessica Carson has a beautiful voice and plays piano/keyboard extremely well.
    2-Paul has her Native DSD recorded album/SACD on his website with samples.

Color me impressed with Clandestine Amigo, I'll be ordering the SACD.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/temporary-circumstances/
    JayCee wrote: »

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • JayCee
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @txcoastal1, glad you enjoyed it. I have the SACD and agree, it's nice. It was one of the early releases for their new Octave record label. I have 2 or 3 subsequent releases and it seems every few months more come out. Don't have the 2 compilation's Octave's cobbled together but they'd be my recommendation for sampling their Native DSD recordings.

Really cool initiative and they have Gus Skinas at the helm. For anyone not familiar, his pedigree is legendary: https://www.discogs.com/artist/406473-Gus-Skinas

The label was created with the goal of world class recordings and ensuring the artists get as close to 100% of the profit in the pursuit of this. No big label exploitation.

Coolest part of the story is the mixing board was originally used by the Stones and Neil Young as I remember. They gutted it and restored every inch.

Anywho, the releases keep getting better in the short time they've been around.

....also, in relation to Clandestine Amigo and several other bands Octave has released, Chris Brunhaver, PSA's FR30 engineer/designer (in the setup vid's above) is also a musician and plays bass on Temporary Circumstance and some of the other Octave releases. Pretty cool that a speaker designer also has a musical background and is not just another techno nerd. LOL.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • JayCee
    Options
    @xsmi, thanks for posting the vid. Missed it when I opened this thread. Sounds like a promising weekend for them. I did a quick search Friday evening to see if there was any chatter from the show but too early. I've been to Capital Audio Fest/Munich High End and didn't witness applause after tracks, so this bodes well for them.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    On order in charcoal fabric & cherry trim. ETA in Sept. possibly sooner. Fun is on its way 🙂
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • JayCee
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Received TAS Editors' Choice email this morning and they are on the Speakers Under $1K list . https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/editors-choice-speakers-under-1000?mc_cid=ea2d52190a&mc_eid=8269e8c834

Quote from the LRS review..."in the midrange they sound like the real thing, and that, folks, is not a given, no matter how much you spend" Possibly Sep delivery? Holy Cow, you are a patient man. I think the cherry/charcoal will be a nice combo. Congrats in advance and looking forward to when you receive them.

...Polk also made the list for the R200 and L100.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    ASR didn't recommend them, but he also botched the measurements.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pearsall001
    Options

If I'm not mistaken he very rarely if ever actually listens to any of the gear he measures. He speculates on how it will sound based off of his machine's findings. 🤔
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • invalid
    Options
    He actually took the measurements of the LRS from a 1 meter distance, planars should be measured from a greater distance.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

If I'm not mistaken he very rarely if ever actually listens to any of the gear he measures. He speculates on how it will sound based off of his machine's findings. 🤔
    If he doesn’t listen then he is a fraud...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    ASR is all based on paper
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• invalid
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ASR is all based on paper

This is true, but you would think Amir would at least measure the speaker properly.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    He lacks common sense and street smarts.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    And humility.

:)

Measuring can only measure what the measuring equipment is properly set up to measure.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I appreciate the DAC & amp measurements, less so the speakers. But when he's "measuring" AudioQuest power cords, it basically amounts to trolling. We get it, your measurements don't show any appreciable differences. So stop doing it over and over and continuing to "measure" cables.

We get it, you're not a cable believer, let it go.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    He couldn’t measure the ingredients needed to make a box of Mac and Cheese.

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    And humility.

:)

Measuring can only measure what the measuring equipment is properly set up to measure.

That’s a lot of “measure” in one sentence! 😂
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I appreciate the DAC & amp measurements, less so the speakers. But when he's "measuring" AudioQuest power cords, it basically amounts to trolling. We get it, your measurements don't show any appreciable differences. So stop doing it over and over and continuing to "measure" cables.

We get it, you're not a cable believer, let it go.

I agree, if we don’t listen, we haven’t “tested”.

That said, I basically came full circle to my original opinion with cables after my recent small experimentation with KK and WW, vs. my previously resident BJC and Philips wires.

I think there are sonic differences between cables, however, I do not think the differences are necessarily commensurate with price. This makes chasing cables high $$$ risk IMO.

So I guess one could say I’m a “believer with tempered expectations”.

I kept and added more KK speaker cables on that journey, but returned WW and KK ICs, preferring my el-cheapo ICs.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Of all the speakers that I’ve bought and sold over the years and no longer own, I miss my Magnepan 1.6 the most. They don’t do everything well, but for what they do well I’ve never found a better replacement
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Of all the speakers that I’ve bought and sold over the years and no longer own, I miss my Magnepan 1.6 the most. They don’t do everything well, but for what they do well I’ve never found a better replacement

I'm hoping to get a taste of that with the LRS. If they tickle my fancy the next step will be the 1.7's. Now if only Sept will hurry up & get here for the scheduled delivery date....sheesh that's a long wait.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I suspect the plus in LRS+ is really code for plus an additional six months added to the production and delivery time.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    ^^^…or + $$$ for Magnepan.

This makes R200s extremely attractive now.

• txcoastal1
    Options
    We loved Danny’s Mag’s

zhptlbd6ikce.jpeg

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Chuckle....well, I think the production lag is part of what’s going on in the world....as far as gouging for money....I’d argue that Magnepan is THE greatest bang/buck company in audio. Full stop.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    Chuckle....well, I think the production lag is part of what’s going on in the world....as far as gouging for money....I’d argue that Magnepan is THE greatest bang/buck company in audio. Full stop.

Certainly it has been among the best bang for buck companies, esp. when the MMG first introduced.

I wasn’t suggesting gouging, but relative to that starting point it is now approaching double for introduction to the Maggie sound.

Relative to the LRS, I’d rather keep the old “legs” and $250, and forego the “+” designation.

This isn’t entirely Magnepans fault; inflation is real.