Magnepan LRS... thoughts.

Options
pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
I'm half tempted to give these a shot. I've always wanted to listen to a pair of Maggie's but never had the chance. No local dealer.

The price is right but they are in such demand that it's a 6 month wait. They also come with a 60 day in home trial period.

The reviews are all exceptional but as we all know you have to listen in your room on your gear.

A total different animal from a box speaker for sure.

I am not looking to replace the KEF R3's... just curious that's all.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Probably depends on the music you like. Bach? Yes. Pantera? Maybe not.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I listen mostly to classic rock, vocals, smooth jazz, folk, oldies. I'll give something new a shot also. No head banging heavy metal though.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited March 2022
    Options
    They will need plenty of space all around them to perform the way they’re intended. A couple fast subwoofers help them dynamically but they can be enjoyed by themselves for what they are. Just don’t expect low bass. Once the timing is dialed in with the room and listening spot they can be spectacular, fast, spacious, and very revealing of any weaknesses in the system or recordings. Like all Magnepans they will need a strong high current amp.

They are the kind of speaker everyone should experience.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I would love to hear a pair someday but I don't think they're the right speakers for me to actually own.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Exactly. I need a speaker that plays all types of music. My musical interests change over time as I get bored with one genre and move to another genre. Being retired I can’t afford to change speakers for each genre.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    They will need plenty of space all around them to perform the way they’re intended. A couple fast subwoofers help them dynamically but they can be enjoyed by themselves for what they are. Just don’t expect low bass. Once the timing is dialed in with the room and listening spot they can be spectacular, fast, spacious, and very revealing of any weaknesses in the system or recordings. Like all Magnepans they will need a strong high current amp.

They are the kind of speaker everyone should experience.

I definitely have the room, amp & sub. Very tempting 😏

• pearsall001
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I would love to hear a pair someday but I don't think they're the right speakers for me to actually own.

If you never heard them how do you know?

• Nightfall
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Just based on my music preferences & what I've heard from other people.

You are right though, I could love them.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Give them a go. I had th eprevious MMG and also a set of MG20’s... I miss Maggie’s but just don’t have the room for them and with kids, they can be a bit wobbly...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Worth a try and the wait. 42 years with Magnepan here. Space behind them and perhaps some absorption and/or diffusion will be needed. Play with tweeters in vs out and toe-in. Mark the floor if they end up sounding best in some inconvenient location for you or your partner.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    Worth a try and the wait. 42 years with Magnepan here. Space behind them and perhaps some absorption and/or diffusion will be needed. Play with tweeters in vs out and toe-in. Mark the floor if they end up sounding best in some inconvenient location for you or your partner.

Wow...42yrs with Maggie's! I would think you know a thing or two about them.👍 What model are you currently listening to.

From what I've read the most important factors in having success with them is being able to bring them out in to the room at least 3'. No problem here.

Then you need a high current amp that can put out some horsepower into their 4 ohm load... got it covered.

Next up is a sub...some will say not necessary but for the most part a good sub is recommended. Check.

I've heard about listening with the tweeters inside & outside to see what sounds best to you in your room.

I haven't heard much about side wall placement though. Is it best to have them close to the wall or further out in the room.

I think I will go ahead and order a pair. My curiosity has got the best of me. 🤗🎶

• pearsall001
    Options
    Give them a go. I had th eprevious MMG and also a set of MG20’s... I miss Maggie’s but just don’t have the room for them and with kids, they can be a bit wobbly...

Just me and the wife & 2 dogs. So no concerns there. I see that you can buy custom stands for all the models. I would imagine they will help stabilize them if you do have kids. Just to be on the safe side.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    The 1.7i model I have isn't particularly sensitive to side wall distance because the design calls for having a fairly aggressive toe in and having the speakers fairly close together. The front to back distance is more important, but having a couple feet to the sides and some distance behind the listening spot helps with the wrap around/enveloping effect too. Finding the ideal setup distance and angles can take a while. Even a couple inches difference in setup can have a significant impact. That's another reason for putting some kind of marking on the floor to mark their ideal spots.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    The LRS have very low sensitivity (83dB), from what I’ve read.

For the price, they would be a fun experiment.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    The MMG/LRS have traditionally been a gateway drug for Magnepan. They aren’t for everyone.....but assuming you have the space to accommodate a dipole, enough amp and are realistic about bass requirements and output.....they are the bees knees.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Emlyn
    edited March 2022
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

Sensitivity levels and demands on even a high current amp are no joke with Magnepans. I found them to be a more demanding load than the L800s when pushed to a good listening level. That's with running the 1.7i on a Parasound JC5. A Parasound A31 was plenty enough amp for them too though. I could have lived with them in a home theater setup with the LSiM making up the rest of the system but the L800s went on sale while I was waiting the few months in lockdown for the Magnepans to be built. So I ended up with both.

:)

People often say that Magnepan speakers themselves may be relatively inexpensive but they cost a lot because people who buy them have either already invested in good gear (amp, preamp, and source!) or need to buy better gear soon after getting them.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Well, think people who buy Maggie’s aren’t folks who walk into Best Buy and grab a receiver and head out the door.....that said, one of El Grande’s neighbors had an MMG home theater on a Denon 5.1 receiver and by all accounts sounded good.

The nice thing about the LRS....zero downside. Send them back if you don’t like them....credit to upgrade or there is a strong demand for them.

What’s not to love?

Put this way, if the L800’s aren’t a long term solution, I’m looking for a pair of 3.7i’s
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

Sensitivity levels and demands on even a high current amp are no joke with Magnepans. I found them to be a more demanding load than the L800s when pushed to a good listening level. That's with running the 1.7i on a Parasound JC5. A Parasound A31 was plenty enough amp for them too though. I could have lived with them in a home theater setup with the LSiM making up the rest of the system but the L800s went on sale while I was waiting the few months in lockdown for the Magnepans to be built. So I ended up with both.

:)

People often say that Magnepan speakers themselves may be relatively inexpensive but they cost a lot because people who buy them have either already invested in good gear (amp, preamp, and source!) or need to buy better gear soon after getting them.

For @pearsall001 , he seems to have the equipment to not incur further cost. So for him, would be an affordable experiment.

Otherwise, yes, more $$$ outlay for those who aren’t ready to drive them.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I have listened to small Maggies (MMG's) and large Maggies (1.3's ??). 4 things to consider, pickier about amp selection, very small sweet spot. Even moving your head a couple inches reduces the soundstage and they lack bass and dynamic scale (somewhat). They really aren't a rock speaker and aren't very forgiving of poor recordings. In both systems they were augmented with a sub for anything below about 48Hz.

They were one of the most transparent speakers I've ever heard when the recording emphasized the mid-range, like vocals and acoustic instruments. Well recorded vocal and acoustic music, they were sublime. Classical, light jazz, vocal, acoustic style of music are, IMO, what they excel at. I just didn't seem to hear the dynamic swings in some of the music we listened to even with a sub.

I always wanted a pair too, but I listen to a wide variety of music and I ultimately decided over 50% of my music collection would be better served with a more versatile speaker.

FWIW, my .02c

The 60 day in home trial sounds like a good deal to at least get your ears on them.

H9
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Hey H9,

It's been awhile...glad to see you back in action.

I agree on taking the opportunity of their 60 day in home trial.

It's a 6 month wait... sheesh 🙄

Hopefully well worth it. One thing I really haven't heard is that they are tailored to certain music genres. I'm sure I'll find out in due time.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hey H9,

It's been awhile...glad to see you back in action.

I agree on taking the opportunity of their 60 day in home trial.

It's a 6 month wait... sheesh 🙄

Hopefully well worth it. One thing I really haven't heard is that they are tailored to certain music genres. I'm sure I'll find out in due time.

I'm always checking in, but I admit until recently audio hasn't been center stage. But, I'm back on the horse and have bought a couple new things for my office rig and am looking at revamping the main rig, slowly.

All I can say is in my experience with both well set-up systems with the proper gear and room treatments, there was big difference between Led Zeppelin, Black Keys, Rush, Joe Bonamassa, Tool to name a few harder hitting bands vs. Keb Mo, Jazz at the Pawn Shop, Leo Kottke, Indigo Girls, Al Dimeola, Adele, etc.

The harder rock oriented music just didn't have the same scale and impact vs a more conventional speaker. Was it "awful"? No, just very subdued and much less impactful. Personally, I gave up my quest to own a pair simply because, as I said before, over 50% of my music collection just wouldn't sound its best on Maggies. It's always a bit of trade-off with speakers.

Personal experience in your room is the best way to do it. As long as you don't mind the minor hassle of shipping/carting them back after the demo, I think that's the best way to go for something that is going to be a bit different in it's presentation.

Good luck and I look forward to your impressions if you decide to do it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I might second Brocks thoughts on the Maggies, but, they do image like a mo-fo that's for sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    Options
    “What model are you currently listening to.“

I’ve had 3.6Rs for about 9 years. MG IIBs before that. I got them circa 1980 at the store owned by Jim Smith (who wrote Get Better Sound). I tend to agree with @heiney9 regarding the types of music they favor. If I were more into hard rock, I’d probably have tried subwoofers a while ago. The true ribbon tweeter is definitely a huge improvement over the old speakers. I’d like to get some time with one of the current models with quasi ribbons.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2022
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I might second Brocks thoughts on the Maggies, but, they do image like a mo-fo that's for sure.

Transparency and imaging is simply fantastic when in the sweet spot. Very, very seductive. That's what made me fall in love with them. Except not all source material excels on Maggies.

H9

EDIT: I haven't heard the most current line, so maybe they are a bit different than the MMG's and 1.2's I heard about 10 years ago.
    Post edited by heiney9 on
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Very interesting observations about the music genres.
    Once they arrive (approx Sept) I will have 60 days to give them a vigorous workout.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Once they arrive (approx Sept) I will have 60 days to give them a vigorous workout.
    If you can get a couple of fast, articulate subs that can use the high level outputs, you will be able to get a seamless blend. Doing so will give the little Maggie’s the ability to play any genre with a level of realism that will be amazing. You will end up sending them back however, and getting the MG 3.7’s instead.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • maxward
    Options
    Like a lot of things, the 3.7s have gone up. Up to $7995.00, unless The Absolute Sound got it wrong in the current issue.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    If you can get a couple of fast, articulate subs that can use the high level outputs, you will be able to get a seamless blend. Doing so will give the little Maggie’s the ability to play any genre with a level of realism that will be amazing. You will end up sending them back however, and getting the MG 3.7’s instead.

I have the sub covered...KEF KC62.

Nothing like putting the pressure on. Lol!

Let me at least get my ears on the LRS first to see if I like the presentation vs a box speaker.

This will be a lot of fun! 🤗

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    You will need two of the KEF’s...