Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2022
    I believe it was S.L. Clemens ("Mark Twain") who referred to the UK and the US as two countries divided by a common language.

Back in my days workin' for a British company (Oxford spin-out/start-up), I experienced this at least twice, in gastronomic context.

First time was gammon steak. I asked the server what it was, and they told me as best they could -- but it didn't make any sense, so I ordered it.
    ham

Second time was aubergine. If I spoke French, I'd have saved myself this one.
    eggplant

Actually, I guess it happened thrice -- but the other time, I figured out what rocket was for myself.
    arugula

... and we won't talk about black pudding, 'K? ;)

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Well, at least it wasn’t Rocket J. Squirrel.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    ogdyympzmf3b.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    audioluvr wrote: »
    OleBoot wrote: »
    t5w10e8yir0w.png

Corned ox tongue! Yum!

Used to have ox tongue with a salad growing up. Very tasty.
  • OleBoot
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I don't even want to know what mayonnaise of salmon is....

Erm..salmon and mayo?
  • OleBoot
    edited April 2022
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I believe it was S.L. Clemens ("Mark Twain") who referred to the UK and the US as two countries divided by a common language.

Back in my days workin' for a British company (Oxford spin-out/start-up), I experienced this at least twice, in gastronomic context.

First time was gammon steak. I asked the server what it was, and they told me as best they could -- but it didn't make any sense, so I ordered it.
    ham

Second time was aubergine. If I spoke French, I'd have saved myself this one.
    eggplant

Actually, I guess it happened thrice -- but the other time, I figured out what rocket was for myself.
    arugula

... and we won't talk about black pudding, 'K? ;)

You really only scratched the surface. I have adjusted to U.S. terminology in the main, but still toggle between U.S. and U.K. terms when it comes to foodstuffs. How about bees and ees, wing wang, bubble and squeak or chipolatas?
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Might I suggest to compliment your oolong that you grab a nice handful of wing wang ?

I might. 🤔
    Sal Palooza
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited April 2022
    t5w10e8yir0w.png

The first time I realized I liked Indian cuisine occurred the first time I visited London and had a few English dishes, starting with bangers and the English version of scrambled eggs.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Plus: Fried bread is a don't miss!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    5z46kzzilh4j.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • OleBoot
    t5w10e8yir0w.png

The first time I realized I liked Indian cuisine occurred the first time I visited London and had a few English dishes, starting with bangers and the English version of scrambled eggs.

I have found scrambled eggs to be the same in the UK as here. Wonder what you had that was different?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    t5w10e8yir0w.png

I have found scrambled eggs to be the same in the UK as here. Wonder what you had that was different?

Maybe they leave the shells in for fiber....
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    audioluvr wrote: »
    t5w10e8yir0w.png

Corned ox tongue! Yum!

Used to have ox tongue with a salad growing up. Very tasty.

Oh Hell no! I've never been that hungry!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited April 2022
    The male sometimes perches on dead branch 25' away from the box. I got a picture of the Female going into the box this morning. The pair were sitting above our bird feeders even though they never go to them. I think they prefer bugs and worms.
    iil3tjahm8uo.jpg

I waited for 10 min. but the male flew off to the back and never returned. An afternoon and evening lighting is better for the male anyway. He's a looker. ;)
    :)
    krifl15v1cg0.jpg
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited April 2022

I thought that was "French" eggs.

[EDIT:] I believe you are referring to The French style creamed scrambled eggs. Small and tender curds but still pasteurized and creamy.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueBirdMusic
    treitz3 wrote: »

I thought that was "French" eggs.

[EDIT:] I believe you are referring to The French style creamed scrambled eggs. Small and tender curds but still pasteurized and creamy.

Tom

The scrambled eggs I had the first morning were "plastered" to the plate. There was nothing "French" about the eggs.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    I just bit my tounge laughing damthit
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited April 2022
    My truck was gleaming extra nice today for some reason. So I took a shot of it. :)
    8r6kwf0g7yx5.jpg

Now I said I'd get a picture of the glorious male Bluebird and I had a magazine cover shot in my camera screen. His colors were superb and contrasting like a male in his prime.

The camera has a timer to shut the screen off after 10 or 15 seconds. Just when I was about to push the button down, the camera goes into sleep mode. I push the button and it comes back on. I instantly clicked the button again...He flew off 1/2 a second before the second click. :s:'(

jd9h89cnl61i.jpg

Maybe next time... ;)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Wow that Ford is clean. I learned how to drive stick in one of those with a straight 6. Perfect for learning, plenty of torque so it was lenient on not giving enough gas as you let the clutch out but dog slow to stay out of trouble.

I bet you could sell that for a pretty penny
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    we used to have a cat that tried to catch its tail for hours :)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Tony M wrote: »
    The male sometimes perches on dead branch 25' away from the box. I got a picture of the Female going into the box this morning. The pair were sitting above our bird feeders even though they never go to them. I think they prefer bugs and worms.
    iil3tjahm8uo.jpg

I waited for 10 min. but the male flew off to the back and never returned. An afternoon and evening lighting is better for the male anyway. He's a looker. ;)
    :)
    krifl15v1cg0.jpg

Love those Bluebirds. My "name" was derived from my love as a kid of all the Bluebirds.

I remember one school science project where my cousin and I kept a detailed log of a family of Bluebirds until the babies left the nest.

Harry / Marietta GA