S60 bubble in vinyl

Just wondering what others would do. I've had my S60's since September and love them. I just got around to taking off the power port stickers on the bottom front of them. Honestly I've been listening to them with the grills on since I got them and forgot they were there till last weekend. Anyway, when I took them off it left a bubble on the vinyl of one of the speakers. It's not huge, runs diagonally about two inches high and a couple inches wide, and barely noticeable, but it is there. What are the chances it gets worse over time? Would you guys contact customer support about it?

Thanks
o4297aid7mej.jpg
Family Room 7.2.4: S35, S60, S10, MM2104 endtables, TL1
Basement 5.1.2: CS400i, RT55i, RT25, PSW450, MC60
Living Room Stereo: SDA 2a

Best Answers

Answers

• _mo_
    _mo_ Posts: 53
    I needed to call them anyway to see about getting a replacement pair of mounting brackets for a pair of atrium speakers I am thinking of buying used...guess I'll add another item to talk to them about. Thank you both.
  • _mo_
    So an update on this: On the positive I contacted Polk and they replaced the speaker pretty easily. On the downside, I peeled the sticker off the new speaker, and while it seemed ok at first, it developed an even bigger bubble in the same exact spot. I was even extremely careful to tease off the sticker. The thought of asking for yet another replacement is really frustrating.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Try a needle or a pin, poke a small hole and work the vinyl with a credit card or the like back to the hole.
    Maybe this will end the problem.
  • _mo_
    Yeah, I was considering that, and now that I essentially have an extra I can try it without as much fear of damaging the vinyl. I have a heat gun I could use to try and reset the glue as well.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    If this is the sticker you’re removing, I’m not sure that was ever intended to be removable. I can see why you might want to do that, but, it certainly looks like it was intended to be permanent.

zymbjqccbwv7.png
    Alea jacta est!
  • _mo_
    Nope, this was from removing the red sticker above the power port.
  • Kex
    So, some sort of promotional sticker for store display? If that’s the case, and they can’t be removed without damage, then that’s a problem that needs to be fixed.
    Alea jacta est!
  • _mo_
    Yep, that's exactly what it is...very frustrating
  • Kex
    @CarlJacobson_POLK @SeleniumFalcon

Any chance this can be escalated?

My guess is that if store display stickers are causing damage when removed, then there are dozens of unhappy customers out there who don’t ever call, for every one customer who does (like _mo_).

It should be possible to remove promotional stickers intended for store display without causing damage to the speaker!

This is a quality control issue with the supplier of the stickers.
    Alea jacta est!
  • _mo_
    Thank you Kex. I'm hoping they are aware and fixed the issue with the new Signature Elite line.
  • Kex wrote: »
    @CarlJacobson_POLK @SeleniumFalcon

Any chance this can be escalated?

My guess is that if store display stickers are causing damage when removed, then there are dozens of unhappy customers out there who don’t ever call, for every one customer who does (like _mo_).

It should be possible to remove promotional stickers intended for store display without causing damage to the speaker!

This is a quality control issue with the supplier of the stickers.

Hi, this is the first time I have heard of this issue (but granted I don't work in support). I can assure you that if this was a known issue, we would have addressed it with the line refresh to SIgnature Elite, if not sooner. I have forwarded this to our Director of Product.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I was curious so went looking for the red stickers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr0hewg40Ao
  • _mo_
    edited March 2022
    Here is a picture of the new speaker I received. The bubble in this one is bigger, but oddly not as noticeable, It seems to have less air behind it. You can even see the little outline of the down arrow from the red sticker left behind:

vhcv5ihnwmya.jpg
  • Kex
    That’s quite horrendous (thanks @Emlyn for the visual)! 😳

I would give them a call again. You shouldn’t have to live with that. Have a picture at the ready and offer to send it to them. Anyone who sees that will know that you’re not exaggerating.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I hate stickers.
  • Kex
    edited March 2022
    I take them all off components etc., the ones that announce features like Dolby this and WiFi that, but most people seem to just leave them on. However, these are far more visible than most.
    Alea jacta est!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Wow, that's pretty bad.
    I wonder if a warm iron over top of a dish cloth would help stick it back down. Then maybe bungy a couple of hardback books to the face overnight afterward? You know, those ones you bought 9 years ago and never read.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    _mo_ wrote: »
    Here is a picture of the new speaker I received. The bubble in this one is bigger, but oddly not as noticeable, It seems to have less air behind it. You can even see the little outline of the down arrow from the red sticker left behind:

vhcv5ihnwmya.jpg

That's horrible.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk