L800 L+R

Options
xsmi
xsmi Posts: 1,793
Those of you who have Legend L800’s is there a definite Left and Right Speaker? Mine came in yesterday and both boxes have left on them. I called customer service and they say there is no left and right speaker.
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,604
    edited October 2021
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    Those of you who have Legend L800’s is there a definite Left and Right Speaker? Mine came in yesterday and both boxes have left on them. I called customer service and they say there is no left and right speaker.

I believe they are wrong. In SDA's the outside speakers are the dimensional so with two left speakers one speaker will have the dimensional speakers on the inside.

besides if it didn't matter why would they be marked as LEFT or RIGHT?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,066
    edited October 2021
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I believe they are wrong. In SDA's the outside speakers are the dimensional so with two left speakers one speaker will have the dimensional speakers on the inside.

besides if it didn't matter why would they be marked as LEFT or RIGHT?

I believe you are right -- I seem to recall a (another!) speaker chirality imbroglio here quite some time ago involving an L800 purchase...

ahh, yes... take a look at this post and others on that page.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2549190#Comment_2549190

hj0tk9vvi64g.jpg

2n09lciy2zn9.png

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,066
    Options
    Yes there is a dedicated left and right speaker. On the website it is not very clear but when you place an order, one blk/brown color choice is left and the other brown /black is right.

Ie if you just put quantity two on your order you will receive 2 left speakers.

If you put quantity one left brown or black dot, that it the left. If you put quantity one brown or black dotx that is the right.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited October 2021
    Options
    i2pvmbq5uaxa.jpg
    0gvg7u1socfy.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    edited October 2021
    Options

Yes, there is a dedicated speaker for L/R channels and I ordered/received one each. The respective speakers are labeled "Left" and "Right" on the binding plate. SDA still works the same as illustrated in the current L800 owner's manual:
    mel41fz3bkz5.jpg
    and the setup instructions specifically reference this:
    lx2jdr437ssp.jpg
    Although the L/R speakers are most likely mirror images the internal wiring (and possibly the XO's) have to account for this. As illustrated above, the outer mid driver is the SDA, inner is stereo and to make two lefts or rights work, may be as simple as swapping the connections internally. Will say from experience, because they are sold as left and right (separately), it can be confusing when ordering from their site...especially for someone new to SDA. Who buys a single 800?????

If it is as easy as swapping the internal connections, not a big problem, but don't know I'd want to do this from day one. Also, if you go to sell them at a later date, IMO, would be a disadvantage trying to convince someone it's not a problem...and adds to the confusion when trying to determine which one is the modified "right". You'd have to mark the binding plate and that'd be no go for me.

Can't believe I'm incorrect but please ensure you get confirmation and not only take my opinion. I'd push back and find someone at Polk that knows what they're talking about.
    Post edited by JayCee on
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • JayCee
    Options
    LOL....lots of folks chiming in as I was typing.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Time to get one unit returned/exchanged.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,819
    Options

I hope you got that person's name as they shouldn't be working for Polk.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    This is why Crutchfield only lets people order them by default in matched L/R pairs and calls buyers to confirm adequate amplification available too. Not sure why the Polk store site would still let someone order two left speakers or two right speakers.

:)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,604
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

May actually not, may have been a call center. Heck we have a pizza place in town, you call them up and a HEAVY accented Indian answers. Found out the use a call center FOR A PIZZA JOINT.... Needless to say they lost my business.
  • xsmi
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I have all three names. They finally told me that I have to return this one, for a full refund and purchase a right speaker. I hope it doesn’t mess up the Legend discount. They had no idea what that was.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,078
    Options
    Good luck. This sounds like it could turn into a long, arduous process.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • xsmi
    Options
    Yep. I’m afraid you’re right.
  • VR3
    Options
    Considering they didn't know the right speaker existed could present issues 😁😁
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options
    I don't know why polk wouldn't fix this from happening again, it will definitely cost them money if people have to send one speaker back for a refund. Seems like crutchfield has a better system in place than polk does.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    Polk, How many times is someone going to order one L800?
  • xsmi
    Options
    I have a tracking number already for the new speaker.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,066
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Whoo-boy.
    Well, we'll hope for the best for the OP, @xsmi
    I suspect (hope) that the visibility of the discount program and its stated goal (to get some real-life reviews) will help to ensure that the imbroglio will be sorted out without too much Angst.
    Meanwhile, let's just do what we can to flag this thread so that it's seen by the Powers that Be: @CarlJacobson_POLK
    (best I can think of doing)

• xsmi
    Options
    Still unresolved because Polk doesn't have an exchange program. I'm still waiting on the refund to show up in my account so that I can order the right speaker...
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,877
    edited November 2021
    Options
    i don't see what the problem is, they should have shipped you the correct speaker and had a carrier pick up the incorrect speaker. this is them shipping the wrong item. i bet they would have done the right thing if you had ordered and paid for 600"s and they shipped you 800"s :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Osarion
    Osarion Posts: 180
    Options
    That's a lot of money for them to be taking their time with.
  • JayCee
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Still unresolved because Polk doesn't have an exchange program. I'm still waiting on the refund to show up in my account so that I can order the right speaker...

@CarlJacobson_POLK, shouldn't take a month to get this rectified. If longstanding and dedicated "Polkies" can't get an assist...what's a first-time Polk customer going to take away from a similar situation??

• xsmi
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    i don't see what the problem is, they should have shipped you the correct speaker and had a carrier pick up the incorrect speaker. this is them shipping the wrong item. i bet they would have done the right thing if you had ordered and paid for 600"s and they shipped you 800"s :D

I have called them several times about doing just that. They insist on refunding the money and recording the product. One good thing is that they are going to honor the discounted price.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Wish I would have been wrong. Hope you get it worked out soon.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Well hope all works out...

I had to quit asking the family for socks for Xmas...

Last minute gift shop to Dollar Tree, I kept getting six packs of left foot socks. I'd put them away to hope for the next year...just maybe getting six packs of right socks....nope!!...cheap bassturds

That's ok, I just added $1 slots on the pinball machine >:) ...That'll learn'em
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • xsmi
    Options

Wish I would have been wrong. Hope you get it worked out soon.

Well, finally got a call from the local freight company, my right speaker should be available Thursday. I’ll have to pick it up because their truck can’t get down my street. The. Hold up was on my end. Every time I had a little extra dough stowed away, something else was more pressing. I’ll keep you guys updated.
  • VR3
    Options
    Wow this still isn't resolved? Shame on Polk
  • xsmi
    Options
    It was my fault. I didn’t have the cash on hand to place the order.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    It was my fault. I didn’t have the cash on hand to place the order.

I respectfully disagree that it was your fault. As Marvin mentioned you should have just been able to exchange the incorrect speaker for the correct one. That’s on them for shipping you the wrong speaker.

In any case, glad it’s finally resolved and I hope you love the new speakers.