1.2TLs A Winter Project

Options

Comments

• bored184
    bored184 Posts: 324
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    That is one clean looking speaker, I am used to seeing glue running down the corners..

Honestly it was too clean. The whole back side had no glue so I resealed it with powergrab. The driver side had the usual glue runs all over the edges so I left them alone. The other speaker I will have apart tomorrow but just looking through where the passive was it looks to be sealed better.
    Speakers: TL Monitor 10s, RTA 11TLs, Fortes, Thiel CS 1.2
    Amplifiers: ]Ashly FTX 2001 III, Dynaco ST-70, DIY F6
    Pre: Adcom GFP 750, Aikido Tube Pre
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Agree, never seen quite a tidy inside enclosure.

If someone built new enclosures for the 1.2's and left the dados out, could the BH5 be relied upon solely for standing wave rectification?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    bored184 wrote: »
    That is one clean looking speaker, I am used to seeing glue running down the corners..

Honestly it was too clean. The whole back side had no glue so I resealed it with powergrab. The driver side had the usual glue runs all over the edges so I left them alone. The other speaker I will have apart tomorrow but just looking through where the passive was it looks to be sealed better.

Whatever glue they used gets quite brittle with time. Almost like peanut brittle......hey wait a minute......nah 😉
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    Options
    Polk must have hired the fired Porsche workers that downed lagers for lunch.
  • bored184
    Options
    Should all the old dripping glue runs be removed and cleaned up?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    edited December 2021
    Options
    That's a really good question. My 7B's are a real mess with the brittle glue squeeze out. It's an individual decision but someday I'm going to clean it all up with maybe a dremel tool, flex shaft, and a drum sander attachment and run a fillet of JB-Weld all around the box joints, kind of like we do with the magnets.

Edit - Actually I will probably use my multi tool with the carbide attachment.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    edited December 2021
    Options

Only if it is in the way. I'm sure where you think there is no glue, there is in the joint. I used Power Grab on mine. Applied pretty thick and smoothed out up the sides of both panels and around all braces etc.

Agree most all Polk cabinets I've seen glue was poured on and ran all over the inside of the enclosure.
    While some of it can be brittle for the most part all I have done is still intact pretty darn well. The run drips I've found to be brittle the rest not so much.

If for any reason you need to remove some I'll suggest a very sharp wood chisel.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited December 2021
    Options

No, it is not necessary unless it's in the way of a mod you might be doing..

Edit: Ivan answered it..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Leave the effing glue alone.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I have had to chip some away to install rings in certain areas..

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I have had to chip some away to install rings in certain areas..

Oh yeah, absolutely. I was referring to those asking or thinking about cleaning up the runs, etc.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Well. Just to clarify what I was talking about, I had a little dumbass incident where I leaned with one hand on my baffle while the speaker was on the *surgical table* during the xschop semi rings install and heard a disturbing crack. Looked inside and the squeeze out was spider web cracked all over. Even though it wasn't really right not to remove the peanut brittle (if you will) I ran a fillet of JB-Weld in the area in question to try to do some damage control. Not the best thing to do obviously; gluing to something that has already had its bond compromised (the peanut brittle). So I said to myself that I would do it right in the future to make it more idiot proof and strengthen all the joints. I suppose that the glue in the joint may be brittle too as well, in speakers as old as mine.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2021
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Only if it is in the way.

I'm sure where you think there is no glue, there is in the joint. I used Power Grab on mine. Applied pretty thick and smoothed out up the sides of both panels and around all braces etc.

I Agree most all Polk cabinets I've seen glue was poured on and ran all over the inside of the enclosure.
    While some of it can be brittle,(drips) for the most part I have found most is still intact and holding pretty darn well.

The run drips I've found to be brittle the rest not so much.

If for any reason you need to remove some I'll suggest a very sharp wood chisel.

Fixed it.

Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Stop!
    Your going to waste good money on those Erse that could benefit you better down the line on something else.
    The stuff you have in it right now is as good as the Erse stuff.
    You folks really think new 3% ERSE film caps aren't any better than aged-out 10+% electrolytics ten years past their expected service life?

I think you're crazy.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I know I'll probably get flamed for this but I'll probably do the recap with Erse capicitors first. Later on down the road I can slowly upgrade to better capacitors. December and January are expensive months for me.

Out of curiosity I did some pricing. Prices do not include taxes and shipping.
    Erse: $47.07
    Clarity PX (getting the right values required some paralleling of caps to get the right values): $97.10
    Sonicaps: $496.26
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Stop!
    Your going to waste good money on those Erse that could benefit you better down the line on something else.
    The stuff you have in it right now is as good as the Erse stuff.
    You folks really think new 3% ERSE film caps aren't any better than aged-out 10+% electrolytics ten years past their expected service life?

I think you're crazy.

The OP stated the ERSE was only a stopgap measure
    It's crazy to buy Erse to then go ahead and buy again, that $50 spent on the ERSE easily buys the better Clarity right now.
    So yes I stick with my original comment that for him to buy only to replace later is not money well spent.
    The original caps would be just as beneficial as the Erse since he planned on removing them later.

I put Erse in the same camp as Solen and Bennic/Dayton. Do they work OF COURSE they do. Are there better caps for 75-100 dollars more YES YES there is especially if you do NOT plan on them being the last cap on the board.

I've used Solen once they hurt my ears, I do not recommend them in anything other than a shunt or low pass because of the higher values they make.

Bennic/Dayton even the 1% Daytons left much to be desired. They seen to be a little rough around the edges so to speak. Cymbals didn't have a smooth decay they just seem to stop and all sounded the same. Guitars also seem to have more distortion than with better caps.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Agree solen on the tweeter circuit is like a distortion filter
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Agree solen on the tweeter circuit is like a distortion filter

Sounds more like a distortion generator.
  • bored184
    Options
    Tweeters should be in this week along with hurricane nuts and 1in 8/32 socket head cap screws.

Got these for the drivers. https://monsterbolts.com/products/socket-cap-blk-alloy-8-32?variant=36768787532

Got these for the tweeters. https://monsterbolts.com/products/socket-flat-blk-alloy-8-32?variant=37100764300
  • bored184
    Options
    RDO 198 tweeters installed with hurricane nuts and washers under the bezel to prevent warping. The passive woofers were also given hurricane nuts. The car driver has been replaced with the proper MW6503 albeit one that doesn't look great. I hope to remedy that soon.

gjicbttxqin1.jpg

Yes those are Erse Parts in the crossover. I know I could of probably spent a little more and gotten "better" but I'm on a budget. I did replace the one lone pair of resistors I forgot and I removed the jumper and used a .5 ohm resistor. No photos of those exist and I don't plan on pulling the crossovers out.

ff0ys5qsws3h.jpeg

Next is to find a proper amp for these.

Side question, has anyone tried these on rebuilt Dynaco ST-70? Yes I know what the SDA handbook says about power requirements but curiosity has gotten the best of me. I've gone from a fairly efficient system, modded klipsch fortes and tube amps, to now these 1.2TLs. I have having to redo my setup, hence the above post about looking for a proper amp.
  • bored184
    Options
    Next time these come apart will be for treating the drivers with dynamat and other sound dampening material.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2022
    Options
    The Dynaco ST70 is 35 watts/channel...right? Within some volume limits, should work just fine. I'm not saying that's my preferred amplifier for those speakers, just that it'll make music. Wild Guess: You'd want the 4-ohm tap on the transformer, not the 8-ohm tap. 'Course, you could try each one. I'd start with the 4-ohm then--if you're in the mood for higher volume and feeling frisky--move to the 8-ohm.

What happened to the glue on the inductors to keep the windings from rattling?
  • bored184
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »

What happened to the glue on the inductors to keep the windings from rattling?
    It was peeling off so I removed it. I did put a new layer of hot glue down though in its place. Again all that was done after this photo was taken. I did wonder why it was there though.
  • xschop
    Options
    Wouldn't 35wpc put those new RDO's at risk?
  • bored184
    edited January 2022
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Wouldn't 35wpc put those new RDO's at risk?

Hence my question, haha. With the addition of these speakers I am now forced to look for a new amplifier. I have an Ashly pro amp but its getting pretty long in the tooth.

Here is the final form of the crossover, I pulled them today to get a better photo. I have also attached a photos of the tweeters. I recently added spikes to the bottom of them as well.
    0jm7dlhv0jy6.jpeg
    b1ggiqahcr1v.jpg
  • xschop
    Options
    Would be a shame to hear the snap-crackle-pop from clipping. Properly powering those towers is just good common sense and insurance. That, and F1 will have a hayday if you go that route lol.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    What kind of resistors did you use there? Let us know how it sounds with those Erse Capacitors. I actually have noticed that the Erse Transient X capacitors were very highly rated. I looked on their website and they seem to be unavailable, as if they have decided to never make them again? Too bad if so.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • bored184
    Options
    What kind of resistors did you use there? Let us know how it sounds with those Erse Capacitors. I actually have noticed that the Erse Transient X capacitors were very highly rated. I looked on their website and they seem to be unavailable, as if they have decided to never make them again? Too bad if so.

Most of the resistors are Erse as well (white ones), the green one is a Dayton 1% and the black one is a .5ohm Mills. I saw the Erse transient caps on their website but I have never seen them available. I wondered what they were but not finding any info on them I gave up.

I hope to have some initial impressions this week if time allows.
  • bored184
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Would be a shame to hear the snap-crackle-pop from clipping. Properly powering those towers is just good common sense and insurance. That, and F1 will have a hayday if you go that route lol.

What about the VTA-M125 tube monoblocks? I would have build the dreadnaught but that's not to hard.
  • bored184
    Options
    If I run a common ground amp for the highs and a separate common ground amp for the lows do I need the Dreadnaught?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    If I run a common ground amp for the highs and a separate common ground amp for the lows do I need the Dreadnaught?

What are you trying to gain with this?

The answer is NO but I'd like to hear what you're trying to gain from this.