Must try MOD - Foam inside the stamped steel baskets - YES!

Options

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    I'll disagree as this mod has changed my mind on building billet frame baskets with only 1/4" dia. cylindrical uprights.

If Polk designed the new Legend drivers with even cast frames, I'd own a set. As for me I've NEVER heard Najee sound as accurate on any of my older Polks, even the ChimeraPolks.

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I think you guys are over analyzing this one a little bit :-p

Understatement of the year.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Live a little F1, if I donate the 99 cent foam, would that help your apprehension?

48 spokes is a little daunting lol.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Try it you'll like it! Is that simple enough? If anyone sees the Grinch Who Stole The New Mods in their neighborhood please report to the authorities (kidding!)

bbkhzbv4ia38.png
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    edited December 2021
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Sorry F1, I've just begun. There's still performance to be had. I'll be relocating the terminal tabs next to remove them from the equation. I don't like them blocking the windows.

Didn't cost a dime, dremeled off tab rivet, cut an extra width insulator from the same .090" PVA foam, redrilled above basket 1/8" hole and 8-32 stainless machine screw. Then re-soldered leads to factory tabs after bending them downwards a bit. Windows are completely unobstructed and the leads pivot without any restriction.
    Sorry for over thinking....

op6trm8l272c.jpg

ytjnz1eeyppd.jpg

451wvz9nkva0.jpg

b6hth86ed76p.jpg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    What do the red symbols mean?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,925
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Wouldn’t it have been easier to just bend the tab up, and just pop rivet it back on? You could have put two small cuts next to each side of the tab where the radius is, this should make it easier to bend that tab up to your desired angle.. I’m just not sure if the leads would be long enough without re-soldering to the tabs like you did. But if by chance they were/are, no extra hole to drill, don’t have to cut off tab, and no soldering..

BlueFox: 14k plus posts, and you don’t know what those red marks are? You should turn in your audio card. 😂 it’s the positive side of the driver.. BTW, I was just teasing.. B)
    Post edited by Toolfan66 on
  • xschop
    Options
    I tried that. The rivet doesn't let it bend correctly out of the window.

Bluefox, that's real special.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
    🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I tried that. The rivet doesn't let it bend correctly out of the window.

Bluefox, that's real special.

My suggestion was to still take the old rivet out, make two small cuts, one on each side of the tab where you see the radius, this will help bend the tab up to your desired angle, and pop rivet the tabs on the opposite side, if the leads are long enough for you to do so. This would eliminate a few steps that you did, and might look a little better, but it all comes down to the leads..

• Toolfan66
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
    🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Red symbol = Positive
    Blue symbol = Negative

😃😀😅😂🤣
  • xschop
    Options
    There was barely enough lead length to do it this way, I wanted to cut down the tabs that the leads are now soldered to, but no dice.

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    I did this mod and am pleased with the results. To my ears it removes some "smear" from the music, resulting in greater resolution/detail in the midrange and lower frequencies. It's an instantly recognizable improvement, not one of those changes you make that takes time to sink in. Since the outer drivers on my original RTA-12's are already utterly, completely damped (a comb filtering mod) I was worried about going too far with the damping, but I'm not hearing that. However, I intentionally don't have a very large strip of Sonic Barrier behind the inner "unaltered" drivers. I'm guessing this mod does what's advertised - it mitigates the sound bouncing inside the baskets which corrupts the primary soundwave coming from both the front and rear of the driver (sort of like diffraction?) Doing the mod is tedious, but once you get rolling, Dremeling tabs and cutting/placing the foam (I used 1/8 in.) isn't too bad. I did mine in front of the cabinets (on a bar stool) without unsoldering them (a time saver). For those of you with many more midwoofers to "treat" my sense is that if you can muster up the endurance you will be rewarded.

One question for those of you that would know - does an improvement in midwoofer performance (such as above) result in a corresponding improvement in PR performance? My sense is that the lowest frequencies were benefiting as well.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thanks for keeping an open mind and giving it a try and I'm glad it worked as well for you as it has for me! I too noticed an improvement in bass but I did not report it because I was halfway thinking it was still that I was not used to the effects of xschop's semi rings and I also was not so sure the Armacell would absorb low frequencies so well.

It is plausible that to whatever extent it does reduce those reflections, it will help clean up the MW cone movements in those frequencies as well, but it may make the backwave transmission to the passive a wee bit more coherent. Some of the reflections inside the basket can come back and hit the cone, but some of them can also escape through the windows with a time delay and phase change, thus muddying the passive behavior. Just a theory.

We know that open cell is a better absorber of sound in general but closed cell (like the Armacell) may have equal or better performance in the lower frequencies, on an equal thickness basis. Still researching that and info is scant.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2022
    Options
    To those that need a little more confirmation - it WORKS!

I got to hear George’s system w/ one modded and one unmoved channel - THIS IS a simple, VERY inexpensive, worthwhile mod.

Armacell is closed cell? Please suggest an open cell product for this mod?

Side note: I can’t recall any discussion of open versus closed cell foam from my July ‘21 visit. I’m not questioning the validity of the same - it makes SENSE. Closed damps the physical. Open absorbs or damps sound.

Do this to all shielded drivers to damp the riiiiinging shields…

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/editor/6z/i11syvrozytc.jpgjbktvgqe1tly.jpeg

Thank “G!” Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Cool Tony! Now put some on the inside o:) When you can find time that is :)

Rob used 2mm "Silly Winks" foam sheet from Hobby Lobby, which he believes is an open cell. Had to be applied with a thin layer of PowerGrab to ensure longevity, which may help damp the basket some.

Edit - I believe this is what he used @xschop

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Basic-Crafts/Craft-Foam/Black-Self-Adhesive-Foam-Sheet---9"-x-12"/p/28642

OR?

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Basic-Crafts/Craft-Foam/Black-Foam-Sheet---12"-x-18"-x-2mm/p/28626

I used the 1/8" Closed Cell Armacell which is marketed as heat insulation tape for piping:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armacell-2-in-x-30-ft-R-1-Foam-Insulation-Tape-TAP18230/100539553?keyword=armacell+gasket+foam+tape&semanticToken=21300000111_2019112209124893870_bbbn+21300000111+>++cnn:{0:0}+cnr:{7:0}+cnd:{4:0}+cne:{8:0}+cnb:{0:0}+cns:{5:0}+cnx:{3:0}+st:{armacell+gasket+foam+tape}:st+oos:{0:1}+br:{armacell}:br+rt:{gasket+foam+tape}:rt+dln:{553329}+qu:{armacell+gasket+foam+tape}:qu

PS: It might be something for some *intrepid* soul to try; a composite of this foam over the Armacell, giving around 5mm total thickness. I would bevel the edges near the window and surround with scissors prior to installation. Wouldn't be a bad idea to do an adhesion test for a while to ensure long lasting adhesion and this is pure experimentation here. :#
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    If the adhesive on the foam is “iffy,” try contact cement or Tri-tix rubber cement. I’ve used contact cement w/ great success to Armacell interior closure walls, driver baskets, and magnet shields
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Thanks I will try that if mine ever fall off with only the Armacell PSA. So far it has been 6 mos. on one and 7 mos. on the other. The Armacell is light as a feather.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @Jazzhead I meant to ask you what 1/8" thick foam did you use?

I did some measurements to the best of my ability with what I had I had to measure with, and for the closed cell Armacell I got 0.1345" thick and 4.6 lb/cu ft density.

Anyone wanting to experiment with alternative foams could use that as a reference point.

As far as open cell goes I found some Microcellular Polyurethane stuff at Grainger that is twice the density (10 lb/ cu ft) that might be interesting to try out. One thing that comes to mind with open cell is that it might not be any different in performance to the closed cell if it has a skin on it (could be sanded off??).

https://www.grainger.com/product/USA-SEALING-Open-Cell-497J78

Another option would be to stick with closed cell but go even lower density than the Armacell. This closed cell EVA at 2 lb/ cu ft might be something to try:

https://www.grainger.com/product/USA-SEALING-Water-Resistant-Closed-Cell-497K02

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    I used some 1/8 inch self adhesive pipe insulating foam that I had around. It is closed cell and has a rough texture on the non-adhesive side.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Thank you! So may or may not be Armacell. If not, probably something very close.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    Options

Jazzhead wrote: »
    I used some 1/8 inch self adhesive pipe insulating foam that I had around. It is closed cell and has a rough texture on the non-adhesive side.
    Thank you! So may or may not be Armacell. If not, probably something very close.
    I’ve used Pipe wrap* and Armacell. Pipewrap is stickier than Armacell. Pipewrap looks and feels like Armacell. Can’t say about the thickness or sound absorption but takes care of magnet shield ring.
    * on my shelf
  • Jazzhead
    Options
    I don't think what I used was Armacell, however it got the job done.
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    I have seen some cast baskets that have thinner spokes. I wonder if that was done for this topic of reflections.

I think so no doubt. This patent is old and expired and anybody can do that now.

Just some confirmation @Tony M

SEAS Prestige Titan H1869-08 / L16RNX3 6" Aluminum Cone Woofer

L16RNX3 is a High Fidelity woofer with an injection moulded metal chassis, intended for bass reflex and closed box designs.

Optimized cone design combined with the stiff and light weight aluminium gives a high break-up point to allow for easier crossover design and wider bandwith than common aluminium cones.

Titanium voice coil former with a very long copper coil winding and a bumped back-plate for excellent force transfer, transient sound reproduction and large linear excursion.

A heavy copper ring below the T-shaped pole piece reduces non linear and modulation distortion.

Extremely stiff and stable injection moulded metal basket keeps the critical components in perfect alignment. Large windows in the basket both above and below the spider reduce sound reflection, air flow noise and cavity resonance to a minimum.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-6-7-woofers-seas/seas-prestige-l16rnx3-6-aluminum-cone-woofer-h1869-8-ohm/

ba4hucpf95tr.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    edited February 2022
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »
    I think you guys are over analyzing this one a little bit :-p

Understatement of the year.

You sir are totally discounting the boredom of Covid Lifestyle.... :)
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    My only issue with this mod is if you end up not liking it, it would be a major pain to reverse, if at all possible to reverse. Also doing 16 drivers doesn’t sound like fun at all..

I’m glad you like your findings, and having fun doing it..

I agree, and also feel that if the speakers were ever up to be sold, I would have to disclose that I put all that "Stuff" all over the drivers and and convince someone not that it does good, but that is does no harm....
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Those who are skeptical such as yourself, should simply wait for more people to do the mod and report back. There are only 3 of us now, and who knows, we may be suffering from confirmation bias or something 🤣
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options

Sounds like a new magazine's on the horizon.... Audio Skeptic.
    Those who are skeptical such as yourself, should simply wait for more people to do the mod and report back. There are only 3 of us now, and who knows, we may be suffering from confirmation bias or something 🤣

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Or The Pandemic Audio Skeptic because apparently modifying your speakers to sound better is linked to COVID somehow :|
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    ...Chimeramods