Must try MOD - Foam inside the stamped steel baskets - YES!

Options

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    ...Chimeramods
    What are Chimeramods?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Tony, when will you be trying the mod? Perhaps you could do your center channel first. Lots of nervous nellies (no offence) out there who need encouragement 👍💪👊👊
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Tony, when will you be trying the mod? Perhaps you could do your center channel first. Lots of nervous nellies (no offence) out there who need encouragement 👍💪👊👊
    After I finish two non-audio projects
    1. - a 10’ X 10’ overhang behind my shop. It will “cover” the entrance to same. Raining today.
    2. - get my 11 year old printer to shake hands w/my WiFi. (It’s complicated)

May do a tower first. One the binding posts is loose in side.

Meanwhile to all: it’s been beaten to death how incredibly cheap and simple this tweak is.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    It's raining ice here and I'm not modding nuthin. But agree, best bang-for-buck(plus inflation) so far.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Sounds good Tony, and now we have you on record 😂. I only suggested the center because then you would still have a balanced sound with minimal effort.

This old house of mine, which I jokingly refer to as "The House that Jack Built" is constantly presenting me with emergent/semi-emergent repairs, so I can relate. Recent emergencies were leaking water heater and delaminated countertop. Long stories both.......
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Yeah, the center is likely a better choice

A couple of clicks in the OSD* will ”remove” the Center channel so the LR project a phantom CC
    *on screen display

THnx for the polite kick in the can😊

Tony
  • xschop
    Options
    A set of RTA-12's await the ubermod.
  • Hansvelton
    Options
    Those who are skeptical such as yourself, should simply wait for more people to do the mod and report back. There are only 3 of us now, and who knows, we may be suffering from confirmation bias or something 🤣

I am not so sure that several are Skeptical so much, but more along the lines of, you guy believe you stumbled onto some mod that before now, no one, including hundreds or thousands of speaker engineering guys and so on, just never realized was a "thing"

Ya know its great and all to have fun with something, I agree totally!
    But just not so certain where the reality lies in this.

You guys realized and no one else did, or just some fun and wishful thinking maybe?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,188
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Well I'm glad you are not skeptical :D

As far as me *stumbling* onto something no one ever thought of and acted on before, I really don't know how we could know that is true (and I don't believe this) but I'll just say thanks for the compliment lol.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Hansvelton
    Options

As far as me *stumbling* onto something no one ever thought of and acted on before, I really don't know how we could know that is true (and I don't believe this) but I'll just say thanks for the compliment lol.

This is a GREAT song to test your mod. If it sounds bad, your mod is not really doing much good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLm4xJaoJEc
  • gp4jesus
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hansvelton wrote: »

This is a GREAT song to test your mod. If it sounds bad, your mod is not really doing much good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLm4xJaoJEc
    Is that opinion limited to just this mod or could it apply to any mod? Try the mod and let us know.

Who better to say about the track than YOU!
    So far, those that have dared to take the plunge, like the results regardless of their test means & methods

IME a bad recording or source* of same sounds worse on a better** system because it** usually resolves detail that the lessor system hides or masks.
    *give me hard media over streaming especially YT😢

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Right Tony! He is still stuck at the 1st stage of truth ;)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    bhdpnx8epj4b.png

Jeezus.

Goatse coffee.

Yikes.

[goes on to read rest of thread to figure out what adhesive foam to order from where]
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    kk92y2dt5654.gif

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    Great pontification skills ya got thar.
  • Hansvelton
    Options
    Right Tony! He is still stuck at the 1st stage of truth ;)

Do you realize you can "Quote" people, instead of simply putting a random comment, that you assume everyone will realize ........ >:) Just giving you guys a hard time.
  • gp4jesus
    edited February 2022
    Options
    LOL Armacell/Armaflex Pipe Insulation foam tape TAP18230 works well (2" wide x 1/8" thick x 30ft roll). In USA available from Home Depot* and other places although I haven't found it for as low of a price anywhere else yet.
    *Lowe’s or similar/like store
  • Gardenstater
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hansvelton wrote: »
    Do you realize you can "Quote" people, instead of simply putting a random comment, that you assume everyone will realize ........ >:) Just giving you guys a hard time.

Hans you have already spent enough time giving a hard time here that you could've foamed the inside of the baskets on one of your speakers 🤣

No problem though. Pushback is welcome. Bring it on lol.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    [quote="Hansvelton;c-2
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    LOL Armacell/Armaflex Pipe Insulation foam tape TAP18230 works well (2" wide x 1/8" thick x 30ft roll). In USA available from Home Depot* and other places although I haven't found it for as low of a price anywhere else yet.
    *Lowe’s or similar/like store

Tony I looked and I haven't found that exact material at Lowes. Have you found it there? I have no doubt that I haven't gotten the ultimate best material for this mod on my first try, although It could happen (Judy Tenuda voice....what happened to her?). Anyway, this is closed cell foam and they do not give the specs out but I did the best I could to calculate that it is 4.6 lb/cu. ft. density.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Haven’t bought it in several years. I have a partial roll in my shop though, I’m sorry that’s not much help.

Going there tomorrow. I’ll check for it
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Have you lot wrapped your wires in something similar before?

Or boxed your crossovers behind something like this?
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I don't want to sidetrack this thread too much ha ha. Gives further ammunition for the skeptics LOL.

But seriously, I have noticed that my 2 Martin Logan subs both have the wiring wrapped with open cell foam. I'm not sure if they are going for something other than pure dressing up of the wire or if they think it will keep the wires from being vibrated as much by the intense pressure waves inside the sealed cabinet.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    It could be efficacious...or pontificacious.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Ima gonna foam wrap wires when I go in to foam coat baskets.

I like adhesives, sheets of soft materials, and moonlit walks daydreaming about rebellious pontifications.

Might as well go for broke.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited February 2022
    Options
    It is a good idea to make sure your wires are not vibrating against stuff, if this is not an option than the foam dampening helps
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gp4jesus
    Options

But seriously, I have noticed that my 2 Martin Logan subs both have the wiring wrapped with open cell foam. I'm not sure if they are going for something other than pure dressing up of the wire or if they think it will keep the wires from being vibrated as much by the intense pressure waves inside the sealed cabinet.
    Well… why not!

Right along w/that I think one should consider some sort of “acoustic shielding*” for any internal wiring and/or XO components exposed to frequencies above 500hz(?) - they’re shiny and/or reflective.
    *shielding to allow air to circulate because the components can heat up w/“enthusiastic” V settings

• Gardenstater
    Options
    What I see on my wires in my subwoofers isn't just open cell foam it is super open cell. I think that is because if they used a foam or material that had a better STC (sound transmission class) rating, it would also retain heat too much.

But I'd rather keep this about the use of materials inside the basket of the drivers for the purpose of reducing the reflection of sound back at the cone.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • benjaminlea
    benjaminlea Posts: 38
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I completed this mod yesterday and can confirm my results are inline with the positive results of others who have completed it.

There has been a dramatic improvement in vocal and instrument separation. I don’t have the audio bs vocabulary to accurately describe what I’m hearing, though I’ll do my best.

Vocals are most definitely more present, clearer even. There is tighter delivery when I listen to acoustic tracts, moments of pauses are noticed in greater detail, when an artist takes a breath etc.

Vocals seem to come at me quicker and are speedier to drop off which for me, in my room, presents a soundstage like never before. Artists appear as if they are in front of me performing live and I didn’t have such detail prior to this mod.

Strings and other instruments are on another level. Again, a realness is presented to me that I didn’t hear previously but it’s the definitive separation in vocal and instruments that’s blown my mind.

I’ve done all mods except BH5 and to me this was the greatest mod I’ve done so far and very likley the easiest.

Armacell, scalpel and 30 minutes of your time.. insane return on investment.

I found the Armacell to be sticky but easily removable for those who might be worried about the finality of this mod. I assume if you didn’t like it, removing the foam would be just as easy as installing it.

But I doubt you’ll be removing it. Haha.

🙏🏻
    i5ixwo47gwiq.jpeg
    g4a5kdg4jw9v.jpeg
    Polk 7B’s modded
    Velodyne CT 100
    Rega Elex R
    RME ADI2

MacBook Pro
    Apple Music
    Tidal
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Looks like you also added a world-class DAC and a big boy integrated to your setup, I'm sure those made a pretty big difference as well.