##$^&@!@#$%%% decimal points (or I just whoopsed! )

Options
Rebuilt the xovers for the R200 - pics later. Got the last of the parts in today and got everything on the original boards with a bit of faniglin. Cranked 'er up and tweeters just didn't sound right - very subdued. Figured maybe the new components just needed breakin but nah...somepin' isn't right.

Put 10 ohm resistors in the tweeter circuit instead of 1 ohm. And just out of blind dumb luck I had a pair of slightly used 1 ohm Mills in 12 watt (only needed 5 watt so we're BUILT now!).

Looking closer at the boards I found one of them had a spot of glue on the . for 1.0 and I probably ordered what I saw... BAJEEZUS!!!

Anywho - rebuild done. I do remember not really liking what I heard from them out of the box. These have all new resistors...well, almost all new resistors. New inductor and caps' in the signal path. And, placebo or not, I like this sound without any break in.

Let's blame sand cast resistors... I HATE sandcast resistors. Ugly, nasty beasties... :o
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    Well done Aaron, but please remember to include pictures, lots of pictures. :p
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    I've seen his basement I need no pictures...
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    All resistors sound the same, you wasted your money.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Well done Aaron, but please remember to include pictures, lots of pictures. :p

ya ya...hold yer horses!

pic's next. This recipe called for keeping things within a budget and attempting to use the original circuit board.
    Clarity PX caps - piggy backed a 3.9uf on top of a 20uf to make as close to 24uf as possible.
    Jantzen air core inductor in the woofer circuit replaced an iron core. This has a bit more dcr than the original.
    Mills resistors with now 1 Mundorf as it needed to be at least a 15w job.
    I tipped the electrolytics with a .01 Dayton PPT on the bottom as I had four of these laying around.
    Since the speaker is an R200 I had plenty of room to work with but still wanted to use the original crossover board.
    Kept original wiring
    Did not remove the tweeter - no need and I think it's bolted down with 16 penny nails.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    Here’s the pair.

krqw0tad2z2b.jpeg

And the replacement resistor in place.

pu8y1aihgp35.jpeg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    wwwWOW! nice, Ern!
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    All resistors sound the same, you wasted your money.

Ya...but they're ugly. Ya... I know I can't see them but I KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!! :D
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    edited January 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I did fill in the well and I took the boards off the windows... :#

Bathtub was...ok...I'll quit! :s
    Post edited by ALL212 on
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    edited January 2022
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I did fill in the well and I took the boards off the windows... :#

I was lucky to have escaped. I thank a higher power everyday for that flakey Carver Ribbon...
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I guess we'll have to start watching you, sign off before you do anything. :D

Nice work.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Another job well done!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ALL212
    Options
    OH! and I put Streetwires ZeroNoise mat on the woof's. Outside of the stamped sheet metal risers and around the base next to the magnets.

And I feel better, sleep sounder, having done so. I think I just covered the benefits of doing such. B)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Very Nice!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • ALL212
    Options
    Going to call this a success.

Bass is controlled much better. Really amazing how good these sound even drastically off center. You don’t hear the very upper registers but even 90 degrees off center they sound good.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire