Blended Whiskey Recommendations

Options
Just starting to dabble with blended whiskeys. Looking for a smooth taste. My current Jameson Irish Whiskey is the extent of my experience. I do like it but there are so many to choose from. What should I try next.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Not really a blended but lately I have been enjoying Crown Peach and Apple.

Sheep Dip is good for the $. Dewers or Woodford reserve double or Johnnie Walker Blue

A friend of mine told me to check out Monkey Shoulders.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    My favorite Irish whiskey is Telling.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »

Sheep Dip is good for the $. Dewers or Woodford reserve double or Johnnie Walker Blue

A friend of mine told me to check out Monkey Shoulders.

Like JW Blue. Haven't splurged for a bottle in many years. For special occasion sipping.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    edited December 2021
    Options

Since you like those you might also try Hiram Walker's Apricot Brandy even if you don't like brandy. Can rarely find it here but only $10-13/bottle when I do. If you don't like it straight you could always use it to flavor tea, cake, or ice cream.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • erniejade
    Options
    It sounds like I need to check out Hiram Walker's Apricot Brandy. That's right up my alley!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    There are MANY brandy's that are worthy!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    If you like Rye, Crown Royal never disappoints. Whether neat or on the rocks, always smooth.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Crown Peach on the rocks is on the adult menu this evening along with some Drewerys Easy Ales. That Crown Peach goes down easy might be a rough Xmas morning.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    If you want a smooth blended whiskey, and not some flavored drink, try Canadian Mist.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    agree on Canadian Mist & Crown Royal. They'll also make a nice Old Fashioned

Teachers is a decent *smooth* blended Scotch whisky. Not very complex.
  • Kryten
    Kryten Posts: 79
    Options
    Jefferson's Reserve, very old very small batch is one to try. Their "Ocean's" line is a bit pricey and kinda unpredictable as their voyages start with different mashes. The 17 was amazing and I like the 19 and 20. But heck, they're up to trip 27 or something. Salt air and constant motion does do something.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    You might want want to try some single malt whisky.

Glenmorangie or The Macallan are a couple of good ones to start you on a journey that can get expensive.

The more years of aging of any label, the higher the price! The 10-years-old specimens are a good entry point.

Once you taste a few good single malts, you'll likely find it hard to go back to the reliably and predictably mediocre blended whiskeys! >:)

With that said, Dewars is my favorite blended.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    +1 for Dewars.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Once you taste a few good single malts, you'll likely find it hard to go back to the reliably and predictably mediocre blended whiskeys! >:)

Yes.

But let him walk before you ask him to run :-)
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    If you try single malt, suggest Highland Park 12. Thank me later.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    My favorite single malt was the Highland Park, until I developed a palate for the Islay malts.
  • muncybob
    Options
    I hear that. I also like them but figured Highland would be more suited to a "beginner".
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    Options
    If you like blended Whiskey, you have to try Blackened!
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Fantastic info! Kinda like starting out with Home Depot 12ga speaker wire & progressing up thru the ranks of the better stuff. I have to get my taste on! Thanks 👍👍👍
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    You might want want to try some single malt whisky.

So true, I’m not a whiskey snob or anything, but I used to love a few blended varietals years back and now I have a hard time enjoying them. If only my checkbook matched my tastebuds…
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I can make LOTS of suggestions but I think that they are all here:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176317/basil-haydens/p1
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    For the first time at Thanksgiving, I purchased this:

k10c5208x840.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Blends can be alright, I just find that they lack depth and character.

Part of the issue right now is availability…

A lot of stuff that was easy to find in the past is just to damn hard to get, or pricing is nonsense.

If you want to try scotch, Talisker 10 is pretty reasonable and very good.

Rye, Michters straight rye is always a solid choice. If you want to keep it reasonable Rittenhouse rye is shockingly good for the $$ and usually readily available.

Big thing to keep in mind is to keep an open mind and try a ton of stuff. You’re tastes will change and develop.

If you’re after smoother, keep the alcohol levels on the lower end to start, 86-90ish proof. Once you get a good feeling for what you like, start to dabble in the higher proof stuff. High proof stuff is where the magic is, in my opinion. Keep in mind, high proof whiskey is far more on the sip end of the spectrum.

Some stuff will make you see Jesus if you start to gulp it down, like this one that I have:

zjfqveag29nz.jpeg

If thing is try a ton of different stuff and don’t get too caught up in “I like this and I don’t like that” type of thinking. If you don’t like something today, try it again 6 months later and you might be surprised.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Sorry for the intrusion, but if any of you gents like the smoky/peaty aspects of single-malt Islay Scotches, you might also like mezcál. The agave piñas are literally smoked (not steam cooked), so it has a very smoky flavor. Carry on.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I mean, what are you looking for? Scotch? Irish? American?

First, any of this fruit infused crap.....no thank you. Save that for the cowgirls. Bourbon has gotten stupid. Used to be able to buy Blanton's all day long for under 50 bucks. Now it's 100+ IF you can find it. Makers Mark is a good daily driver. Doesn't have the snob appeal but, so what.

If you are a Crown Royal person....try Canadian Club. No swag bag but half the price and IMO better.

Scotch, I like Dewars and Famous Grouse. Dewars White Label is pretty much ubiquitous and the Dewars 21 is REALLY good. Johnnie Walker Blue is good but doesn't justify the price tag. The Green label is the sweet spot there.....but, really, I'm fine with Dewars or The Bird. If Single Malt intimidates you.....relax. Start with Balvenie 12 and work from there. Macallan 12 is my daily driver...but YMMV

Irish? Drink that if you want to get tanked so, IMO, it's more about the destination than the mode of transport. That said, I like Bushmills and if someone else is paying Red Breast.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • muncybob
    Options
    For bourbon, Coopers Craft is still very affordable and tasty. I too like Jameson, esp in an Irish Coffee.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Over the weekend someone introduced me to Bird Dog whiskey. Their peach was better VS the Crown peach and 1/2 the price. I have not tried the non flavored Bird Dog gut the Peach and salted caramel whiskey I enjoyed quite a bit. Also picked up some Woodford Reserve double oak while I was at Costco. I was surprised they had the double oak. They usually just have the regular.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    My blended whisky recommendations will always be to drink several different single malts and then run around the house a couple times or do a few jumping jacks (well away from the audio equipment).
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • muncybob
    Options
    I'm currently working on my infinity bottle, that's the primary blended hooch allowed in our bar.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    Over the weekend someone introduced me to Bird Dog whiskey. Their peach was better VS the Crown peach and 1/2 the price. I have not tried the non flavored Bird Dog gut the Peach and salted caramel whiskey I enjoyed quite a bit. Also picked up some Woodford Reserve double oak while I was at Costco. I was surprised they had the double oak. They usually just have the regular.

Picked up some of the Bird Dog peach tonight. A buddy of mine lives Crown peach, so we’re going to have a taste test tomorrow night. I also got some Bird Dog black cherry, so we’ll see how that is as well.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden