Blended Whiskey Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,006
    Options
    I picked up a few to compare to the Jameson that I like. I wanted to stay with the smallest bottles for taste testing to help limit the spending for now. Lol!

So far I've tasted the Jameson, Crown & Jack & out of the 3 I prefer the Jameson then the Crown & then the Jack. I'll be giving the Tullamore & Proper Twelve a tasting this evening.

Looking at some others & boy oh boy they can carry a hefty price tag. Most of them only come in large bottles. kedl2cr26hsu.jpg
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    You can regift the Proper 12 if you hurry.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    My blended whisky recommendations will always be to drink several different single malts and then run around the house a couple times or do a few jumping jacks (well away from the audio equipment).

I like this approach except with Bourbon.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,977
    Options
    I've never tasted Proper 12 and will reserve what I've heard about it until you do your tasting. I did buy one of those mini bottles of Macallan 12 scotch, something I've been wanting to try but it's a bit $$. I must say I'm glad I never ponied up for the big bottle, I was underwhelmed.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,136
    Options
    Kryten wrote: »
    Jefferson's Reserve, very old very small batch is one to try. Their "Ocean's" line is a bit pricey and kinda unpredictable as their voyages start with different mashes. The 17 was amazing and I like the 19 and 20. But heck, they're up to trip 27 or something. Salt air and constant motion does do something.

Jefferson’s Reserve is excellent stuff.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,670
    edited January 2022
    Options
    If you prefer Kentucky types check out Bardstown. They have created a couple of blended varieties. I have been consuming single, cask and barrel proofs from many distilleries over the past few years. The Bardstown blends are very impressive.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,033
    Options
    So far I've tasted the Jameson, Crown & Jack & out of the 3 I prefer the Jameson then the Crown & then the Jack. I'll be giving the Tullamore & Proper Twelve a tasting this evening.

You might want to try Gentleman Jack. It comes in small bottles, at least in GA. :-)
    Regular Jack Daniels is only good as a mixer to me.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,097
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    erniejade wrote: »
    Over the weekend someone introduced me to Bird Dog whiskey. Their peach was better VS the Crown peach and 1/2 the price. I have not tried the non flavored Bird Dog gut the Peach and salted caramel whiskey I enjoyed quite a bit. Also picked up some Woodford Reserve double oak while I was at Costco. I was surprised they had the double oak. They usually just have the regular.

Picked up some of the Bird Dog peach tonight. A buddy of mine lives Crown peach, so we’re going to have a taste test tomorrow night. I also got some Bird Dog black cherry, so we’ll see how that is as well.

The Bird Dog peach won the taste test over the Crown peach, so there’s some savings for my buddy going forward. But the Bird Dog black cherry…gross. I’ll most likely end up pouring it down the drain. NyQuil tastes better.

I also picked up some Compass Box Glasgow blended scotch on the recommendation of an employee at Total Wine and Spirits. If you like smokey, this stuff might just be your huckleberry. If you don’t like smokey, steer clear. Very affordable as well.

https://www.compassboxwhisky.com/whiskies/glasgow-blend
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • vader540is
    Options
    Sorry this isn't a blend, but if you haven't had any...it's worth a try IMHO.

Very smooth and it's extremely affordable
    wizgany19axa.png
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,006
    Options
    Added Redbreast 12 & Knob Creek into the mix. Still checking out other selections but so far the Redbreast 12 is my favorite.
    Tullamore Dew & Jameson are also very enjoyable. I tried Wild Turkey Honey but it was way too sweet. Crown Apple is ok but I am not crazy about the flavored concoctions.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Added Redbreast 12 & Knob Creek into the mix. Still checking out other selections but so far the Redbreast 12 is my favorite.
    Tullamore Dew & Jameson are also very enjoyable. I tried Wild Turkey Honey but it was way too sweet. Crown Apple is ok but I am not crazy about the flavored concoctions.

Knob Creek is pretty good and I really like Tullamore Dew Cider Cask but my favorite blended whiskey is Canadian Club
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,095
    Options
    I’ll try these tonight

1wqpghlabjjf.jpeg

jgcvjjg33yy6.jpeg

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12