PolkFest Reserve Deal—EXTENDED For Forum Members

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    F1nut wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    TroyD wrote: »
    Bonus points if you know, without lookin' it up on teh interwebz :#, what the acronym (!) QUAD means and to what component it was originally applied by Peter Walker (whose company for a long time was offically named "The Acoustical Manufacturing Co., Ltd.").

yjoys1x7z82i.png

fc3q9oqysiyt.png

quality unit acoustical device

wanna say it was the amp....303 maybe? My memory isn't what it used to be

close :) It was the QUAD 1 (still held in high regard in certain circles -- well, at least the QUAD II amp is!): Quality Unit Amplifier Domestic :)
    (I looked it up :blush: -- but just to double check myself B) )

zoq1sd9lrxxt.png

I was visiting Beardog (RIP) and we decided to check out The Analog Room in San Jose one afternoon. In one room a group of us were listening to some high end speakers driven by a pair of the Quad II. The sound wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. In walks one of their regulars who says he has a pair of old, IIRC Heathkit mono blocks that he just finished modifying and did we want to hook them up? Hell yeah! They looked like nothing special as Heathkit amps do. Hooked them up and everyone's jaws dropped. Quad got schooled.

The good Heathkit amps had very good iron -- and their prices today reflect that.
    I visited The Analog Room. Once. ;)
    Actually it was an OK way to spend an afternoon -- and I ended up buying a Shure stylus gauge from 'em -- which I still have, and even use on occasion. :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    dromunds wrote: »
    My Heathkit monoblocks rule. Peerless iron.

Man, I miss those.....should the time ever come to move them, I’d like to get them back. I absolutely loved those amps.

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    sparky14 wrote: »
    New guy checking in!

@sparky14 . Welcome to Club Polk. Start a new discussion in the Clubhouse introducing yourself. Don't forget pics!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    Well... I made good on my commitment (for better or worse) and posted a review of the R200 in the appropriate place on the real Polk website pages. :p
    I like them
    Anyone who reads it can tell why I've resisted the pull of audio journalism ;)

Also, @CarlJacobson_POLK just a comment on the Polk website. Actually two comments:

1) maybe it looks fine on a phone or a... umm... device, but on a regular old computer, it is a jumbled mess when it comes to navigation -- and even finding one's way though the information on a single product (to wit, the R200). :(

Here's the main comment, though:

2) I realize that prices are kind of an ephemeral thing in late 2021 due to inflation and logistics/supply chain... but there are two different list prices shown on the Polk site for the R200 in two different places. This seems, at best, sloppy -- and, at worst, a little devious.

To wit:

The "Reference Series" page shows the list price as $699:
    q0cgpaxf8qvs.png
    https://www.polkaudio.com/en-us/product/bookshelf-speakers/reserve-r200

The R200 page shows them on sale for $629, discounted from $749:
    spt03m3wq226.png
    https://www.polkaudio.com/en-us/product/bookshelf-speakers/reserve-r200

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    2) I realize that prices are kind of an ephemeral thing in late 2021 due to inflation and logistics/supply chain... but there are two different list prices shown on the Polk site for the R200 in two different places. This seems, at best, sloppy -- and, at worst, a little devious.

If you hover over the dead areas you might find yet another price.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Good review, @mhardy6647. I think I would have identified your prose even if you signed it as anonymous. Kinda wishing that I took advantage of the offer.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    Well, the funny thing is that I was gonna write a real review -- you know, talk about reproduction of different recordings and that sort of stuff. I typed a little bit to start, and this helpful tip pops up, saying:
    The best reviews are short: two to three sentences that grab people's attention.
    (or words to that effect)

Heck, I cannot say "hi" in two or three sentences -- but I did back off. ;)

• mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »

If you hover over the dead areas you might find yet another price.

The Double Secret Probation Price.

B)

28rj1uk1vjun.png
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    It's been about 1 month now running these R200's.
    I'd say about 50 hrs on em.

They are settling in quite nice.
    I've used various amps 50wpc-275wpc, various sources, even threw a small sub in with them.

Certain tracks the sub sound can enhance them some, most other tracks there's no need for it so out it went.

What an excellent sound field these things put out.
    In fact, Accepts Balls To The Walls just started on the station I'm streaming. >:)

Bitchin bookies these are B)

Currently running that cheap Dayton HTA100BT wannabe tube amp "and no it ain't caught fire yet" knock on wood :D

I did try some "older stuff" other bookies to compare. Not much of a comparison by any means.

I do know if they ever run them again for that insane discounted price, I'll definitely get another set for sure.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Great song great album from Accept.
  • mhardy6647
    I haven't had da noive* to try toobies with the R200s. Yet.

Me thinks the Doc has been hitting the egg nog.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• oldrocker
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Cept they cut the verse: :(

Come on man, let's stand up all over the world
    Let's plug a bomb in everyone's arse
    If they don't keep us alive - we're gonna fight for the right.

And that's OFFENSIVE??

• oldrocker
    Anywho.

Settled in on using a Yammie R-S700 to power them.

Good sound...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    oldrocker wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Cept they cut the verse: :(

Come on man, let's stand up all over the world
    Let's plug a bomb in everyone's arse
    If they don't keep us alive - we're gonna fight for the right.

And that's OFFENSIVE??

Sacrilege!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Just saw this link Someplace (ahem -- y'all can guess).
    Some data on the R100 -- it, too, looks pretty darned good! :)
    https://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/hifi/polk-reserve-r100/seite-5.html

It's in German, but the graphs are in English ;)
    I could translate some of the terms (more or less) if anyone wants and doesn't trust Google's translation 'feature' ;)
  • I used these as the R600 for my home theater setup with the LSiM 706c for center, LSiM 702 for surround, R900 as atmos. These speakers pairs exceptionally well despite being from different series. They sound good with the receiver, but they really open up after I gave them a bit more power with an Emotiva external amp.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    yhenry wrote: »
    I used these as the R600 for my home theater setup with the LSiM 706c for center, LSiM 702 for surround, R900 as atmos. These speakers pairs exceptionally well despite being from different series. They sound good with the receiver, but they really open up after I gave them a bit more power with an Emotiva external amp.

Welcome @yhenry. We have kind of an unwritten rule here. Pics or it didn't happen...
  • mhardy6647
    Here is the least useful piece of information you're likely to read on the internet today.*

The R200s reproduce the sound of a sitar really well.

I was doin' some essentially clerical work on the 'pute, so I took advantage of the NAS and put on some fairly randomly chosen background music (not something I usually do, actually). My semi-random choice was the Beatles' Past Masters vol. 2. Track 6, George Harrison's The Inner Light, really sounded quite good. As in it made me look up from my mindless secretarial task and listen.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    ^^^^^Not sir; not useless information at all. I had to google what a sitar is. So I learnt sumpin new today
  • mhardy6647
    ^^^^^Not sir; not useless information at all. I had to google what a sitar is. So I learnt sumpin new today

You must be way younger than I assumed you were! :D
    Or, conversely, if not -- you were way higher in the 'sixties than I was. ;)

b8fbokqx6cn4.png

• stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    I'll listen to a Sitar anyday over whatever it is that Yoko does...
  • hwsu5evloi4l.jpeg
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2022
    I saw that photo when I googled. I reckon Ravi Shankar was pleased by the attention and the $ the Beatles' interest in Indian music precipitated, but I'll bet he was thinkin' "you touch my sitar and my boys will be seein' you out in the alley after this photo op".

:#
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Here is the least useful piece of information you're likely to read on the internet today.*

The R200s reproduce the sound of a sitar really well.

I was doin' some essentially clerical work on the 'pute, so I took advantage of the NAS and put on some fairly randomly chosen background music (not something I usually do, actually). My semi-random choice was the Beatles' Past Masters vol. 2. Track 6, George Harrison's The Inner Light, really sounded quite good. As in it made me look up from my mindless secretarial task and listen.

You should try that track on the L800... :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    stevep wrote: »
    I'll listen to a Sitar anyday over whatever it is that Yoko does...
    I heard she was threatening to upload more music to Spotify because of [cough] recent events.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon