PolkFest Reserve Deal—EXTENDED For Forum Members

Comments

• Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    edited November 2021
    ^^ above listeners ears, so I am not the only one, good.

Nope. It took a little while to figure out. At Troy's place they were sitting on his HUGE Bozaks for convenience. I dont think that was a conscious set up choice, but that sort of height is exactly what they need.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2021
    ^^ I watched a review on youtube and the reviewer said this was the best position, tried it and agreed. So yes you all were onto something if by accident or not.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    billbillw wrote: »
    Ordered the R200 mid-morning yesterday, FedEx scheduled to deliver tomorrow. Nice, although I only know this because I have FedEx account with Delivery Manager. Otherwise, nothing by email from Polk/Sound United. The original email didn't have any tracking. The online account shows shipped, but no tracking. No other emails since the original order confirmation.

That's interesting. I got a shipment confirmation with the tracking number & a link to track it (FedEx).

iqtgi9ddgqk3.jpg
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,470
    I got the confirmation email and then
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    I believe Polk also wants reviews on the main page.

The reserve series is vinyl, the legend is real wood veneer
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    A no BS review, TY Rocker
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    VR3 wrote: »
    I believe Polk also wants reviews on the main page.
    All we ask in return is that you post a review of your new Reserve speakers on PolkAudio.com. And we’d like to invite you to follow @PolkAudio on Instagram and tag us in your pics of your setup.
    The reserve series is vinyl, the legend is real wood veneer
    Yes, indeedily-do (as Talkie the Toaster was wont to say on Red Dwarf).

L-200
    48952892252_989cd903fa_b.jpgDSC_6908 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

R-200

x7ywm6139t7e.jpg
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    Emlyn wrote: »
    So far the star of this show is the R400 center channel. Crystal clear without being harsh or boomy and it's not too tall to fit on the shelf of a Salamander Synergy rack below a TV set. It's almost as big as the L400 center channel from the Legend line volume wise and would easily blend in between the L800s or L600s.

The R600s are exactly what I was expecting. Good size for a small to medium room and they have the same sound character as the R400. Bass output is good for what they are which is a small tower speaker in the 40 lb range. Although they're not broken in yet I consider the Reserve sound to be a bit brighter than the Legend sound signature. Both have greater clarity than the LSiM lineup for home theater speakers.

Brighter then the Legend? I wouldn't have thought that. I was hopping for smoother or not has hot on top when pushed. Maybe some break in time?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,158
    edited November 2021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    billbillw wrote: »
    Ordered the R200 mid-morning yesterday, FedEx scheduled to deliver tomorrow. Nice, although I only know this because I have FedEx account with Delivery Manager. Otherwise, nothing by email from Polk/Sound United. The original email didn't have any tracking. The online account shows shipped, but no tracking. No other emails since the original order confirmation.

That's interesting. I got a shipment confirmation with the tracking number & a link to track it (FedEx).

I did finally get a shipment notice, today...of course, since then, FedEx has an exception and they won't be delivered today. It was still in Olive Branch, MS last I checked. Bad label, barcode issue or something. I expect they won't be here till Sat or Sun now.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    edited November 2021
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    stevep wrote: »
    And yet you can still add them to your cart as of 2 mins ago. Let's just say I'm disappointed.

If tou haven't yet send a pm to @CarlJacobson_POLK

So it is a PM to Carl or an email to [email protected]?

The initial post shows an email.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,552
    @mhardy6647

Whatcha think of the sound from those R200’s?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,189
    Navy_Goat wrote: »
    At Troy's place they were sitting on his HUGE Bozaks for convenience. I dont think that was a conscious set up choice, but that sort of height is exactly what they need.
    They were.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    heiney9 wrote: »
    stevep wrote: »
    And yet you can still add them to your cart as of 2 mins ago. Let's just say I'm disappointed.

If tou haven't yet send a pm to @CarlJacobson_POLK

So it is a PM to Carl or an email to [email protected]?

The initial post shows an email.

H9

If you're having problems I'd send Carl a PM.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    CarlJacobson_POLK Posts: 37
    November 1
    OK, OK. OK...I get it, you still want the deal, thanks for all the emails :smiley: Our direct ecommerce team has extended the offer until November, 8th. So if you've been sitting on the fence, it's time to get off. Simply email us at [email protected] to ask for an exclusive discount code on Polk Reserve Series and make sure to use it by November 8th.

Here you go Brock.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    ALL212 wrote: »
    @mhardy6647

Verdict is still out. The bring a nice level of resolution for their size and price (e.g., when three Jennys Wail**, I can hear, and follow, all three of their voices and harmonies -- which is very good), but they seem kind of thick sounding to me relative to what I expected. That said, I MUST try some different amplification and loudspeaker placement* than the quick and dirty initial set up that I... umm... initially set up. :#

It will take me a little while to have something intelligent to say about these -- but a promise is a promise (terms of the discout, right @CarlJacobson_POLK ? ;) ) and I will have more to say... anon. :|

* In fact, I should probably RTFM -- as they say :blush:

**Three Jennys Wailin

xwxz8k2xj6r9.png

g1b9b8wggjs7.png

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    CarlJacobson_POLK Posts: 37
    November 1
    OK, OK. OK...I get it, you still want the deal, thanks for all the emails :smiley: Our direct ecommerce team has extended the offer until November, 8th. So if you've been sitting on the fence, it's time to get off. Simply email us at [email protected] to ask for an exclusive discount code on Polk Reserve Series and make sure to use it by November 8th.

Here you go Brock.

Thanks Ivan, I did send a request, but it was after 5 on Friday. Hopefully they will get back to me Monday (the deadline). I wasn't going to pull the trigger, but everyone seems excited about these. I don't need them, but hey........what the hell.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,552
    ALL212 wrote: »
    @mhardy6647

Verdict is still out. The bring a nice level of resolution for their size and price (e.g., when three Jennys Wail**, I can hear, and follow, all three of their voices and harmonies -- which is very good), but they seem kind of thick sounding to me relative to what I expected. That said, I MUST try some different amplification and loudspeaker placement* than the quick and dirty initial set up that I... umm... initially set up. :#

It will take me a little while to have something intelligent to say about these -- but a promise is a promise (terms of the discout, right @CarlJacobson_POLK ? ;) ) and I will have more to say... anon. :|

* In fact, I should probably RTFM -- as they say :blush:

**Three Jennys Wailin

xwxz8k2xj6r9.png

g1b9b8wggjs7.png

Jury very much out on the R’s. Put them on the TV system. Love the L’s.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Made some very minor changes -- listening to relatively modern (ca. 2011, IIRC) Rhino expanded/remastered version of aoxomoxoa (the remix, not the original mix) and it is sounding pretty darned good.

lk2tm5ok2zlm.png

Exceptional vocal clarity for a two way at the (discount) price -- and I am a vocal clarity kind of hombre. :# They're doing an admirable job of bringing ol' Jer' back from the dead... to the Dead. ;)

This is just a staged photo ;) to compare the R200 to the oh-so-cleverly named :p ELAC Debut 2.0 b6.2 (man, I hope they didn't pay anyone to come up with that moniker!). I was kind of surprised that the form factor of the R200 is quite similar to the Andrew Jones-designed ELAC.

51660583575_9367b91f7f_b.jpgDSC_0972 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

51658893707_969481c6eb_b.jpgDSC_0971 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

More to come...
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2021
    Not sure if this was posted earlier or elsewhere. Found the info on the redesigned, again since Legend, Powerport 2.0 and tweeter evolution interesting.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=XX18fURCaKA
    t64h5bhxu2lu.png
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited November 2021
    One thing I have noticed with the R600s is quite a bit of cabinet resonance with the knuckle rap test from top to bottom on the sides. However that does not seem to affect performance negatively. It is also possible for a speaker to sound great without having a highly rigid cabinet which is the approach Spendor took. It is apparent that the most money in these was devoted to the drivers to meet the low price point. Polk must have done some clever tuning work with the new port design too.

Although neither set is broken in yet I would rank the R600s as the equals of the Focal Chora 826s which retail for about 35 to 40 percent more. The R400 center is one of the best I have heard for clarity and exceeds the equivalent Focal Chora center slightly for a bit less money. These models sound more similar than different from each other to me. Both produce enough fast bass in a small room to not need a subwoofer. The Focal tweeter is still a bit more metallic sounding but not harsh. Both are excellent home theater speakers. There are some night club scenes in the 4K edition of the movie The Social Network that provide an excellent source of demo material for a home theater system.

One other thing to note is that although the black Reserve lineup looks plain they are very well constructed, robust, and the build quality of the cabinets is a notch or two above the entry level Focal line. I like the stealth look. The Focal Chora line is anything but stealthy although I think they look good from a Euro approach to design.
  • Emlyn
    edited November 2021
    I will also note that I agree with the Polk design team that the Reserve and Legend series can be used with the LSiM series. I have an R400 between a pair of LSiM707s in place of the 704C and find it blends very well while providing considerably more clarity and “sparkle” to dialog. The LSiM series to me still sounds richer and warmer but at the expense of detail presentation.

Having a grey cloth grill cover on the black Reserve speakers was not the best choice in my opinion. Black blends in better.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    edited November 2021
    Great info, Em, on the sonic character, comparisons and interaction with the LSiM. Gives some good reference context.

And I didn't realize the black speakers had gray grill covers. I would prefer black as well. I would also have preferred a full length grill cover on the L600, even though the drivers are just up top.

Looks same color for the R200 as well? Like a dark heather gray?

Interesting to me also are the comparisons to the Legend series a couple of you have mentioned. Tood bad the Polkfest guys didn't get that L200 pair they requested instead of 2pr of R200. Not knocking it, because that was generous of Polk to provide them, but that would have been a good opportunity for a solid comparison between the two.

The Reserve series is an exciting product line offering, but I'm wondering more whether they're designed for combo use systems slightly biased to HT ahead of music, lying somewhere between an upgrade over the Signature (which are pretty good for combo use and not bad for music) and the Legend.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Curious if anyone has done any comparisons of R200 vs Lsim 703. I see @Emlyn offered some comparisons generally to the Lsim line.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    Made some very minor changes -- listening to relatively modern (ca. 2011, IIRC) Rhino expanded/remastered version of aoxomoxoa (the remix, not the original mix) and it is sounding pretty darned good.

lk2tm5ok2zlm.png

Exceptional vocal clarity for a two way at the (discount) price -- and I am a vocal clarity kind of hombre. :# They're doing an admirable job of bringing ol' Jer' back from the dead... to the Dead. ;)

This is just a staged photo ;) to compare the R200 to the oh-so-cleverly named :p ELAC Debut 2.0 b6.2 (man, I hope they didn't pay anyone to come up with that moniker!). I was kind of surprised that the form factor of the R200 is quite similar to the Andrew Jones-designed ELAC.

51660583575_9367b91f7f_b.jpgDSC_0972 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

51658893707_969481c6eb_b.jpgDSC_0971 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

More to come...

That looks nice
    How’s the vinyl wrap?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    CottageChz wrote: »
    Curious if anyone has done any comparisons of R200 vs Lsim 703. I see @Emlyn offered some comparisons generally to the Lsim line.

Good question
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Emlyn
    I recommend trying the Reserve speakers with and without the grilles. I'm hearing greater transparency without them on and I think the speakers look better too. That's a bit surprising to me since there's not much to the grilles. They're thin and floppy but the magnets are strong on them.

Regarding the 703s they are all around a bit bigger, richer and smoother sounding than the R200s but not as detailed. The cosmetic build quality of the cabinets and port plate is far higher with the LSiM series in the dark finish. I never did like the orange tone cherry finish on that line. The more detailed presentation is the most noticeable sound difference. Both lines still have a similar sound quality that results from the polypropylene cone/ring radiator tweeter combo.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    I agree the grills are dinky but I actually like this over the heavier lism grills that would fall off
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    VR3 wrote: »
    I agree the grills are dinky but I actually like this over the heavier lism grills that would fall off

Yeah, the metal grilles on my 707s kept sliding down so I did a permanent fix by using velcro pads underneath where the weak magnets wouldn't hold them up.

Regarding speaker break in periods, Focal speaks in their manual to getting a speaker system's cabinet, even if it's just vinyl over MDF, acclimated to the consistent temperature and humidity level in a listening room over a couple of weeks as well as the mechanical aspects of the drivers breaking in over about 20 hours of continuous music. I never thought of that acclimation period before but it makes some sense considering the sound of musical instruments with wood in them can also change a lot depending on shifts in temperature and humidity.
  • I am a new member, any chance I can still get in on the discount code + 10% off? Please pm me if so. Thank you