True cost of electric car versus gas powered car

Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    Just saw this and thought it apropos for this thread. It's a critique of sorts of the new eMustang thing -- out of the mouths of babes ;)
    https://www.curbsideclassic.com/uncategorized/curbside-outtake-2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-from-the-mouths-of-babes-edition/#more-421998

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Reading the article, the man's 8-year old daughter stated that the e-Mustang looked bad.
    Not good bad but bad bad.

.....obviously she's a climate denier. 😲
    Sal Palooza
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    The goal is to sell a bunch to soccer moms.
    Not a niche sports car. The hope is a lot of people will
    Go electric. And the Mustang name is how they hope to
    Get people's attention. The same think happened in the
    90's. Add two more doors to a Bronco. That started the trend
    Of suburban moms driving big honking SUV's..
    The only difference is they are keeping the Mustang name.
    I'm pretty sure the 2 door sports car's demise is already in the works.
    Like it or not time marches on.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    edited November 2021
    Options
    A 2022 Chevelle would be sweet.
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • GospelTruth
    Options
    So, from the video showing the comparison between the three vehicles, it cost roughly $18 more to drive the gas powered vehicle on a 1000 mile trip. If the average American drives 12k miles per year, this equates to $216 ($18 x12) more dollars for fuel for a gas vehicle vs an electric vehicle? Over 10 years, that's roughly $2000 more in fuel? And this is given higher gas prices at the pump as the video was as of September 2021.

My thoughts:
    • Don't see the advantage in fuel savings vs. cost of electric vehicles.
    • The electric grid could not sustain tons more electric vehicles. As stated before, electricity needs to come from somewhere and "green" energy will not make up the difference. More power plants will be needed. From what I've read elsewhere, nuclear plants will be the only way. Extreme environmentalist though refuse nuclear.
    • Environmental impact for getting and producing the lithium batteries is huge. No one wants to discuss that nasty side either.

Get an electric if it makes sense for you and you like them and have the money for them. Don't pretend though that you are saving the environment by having one, because at present the power plants generating the electricity are still mostly fossil fuel based. You've just moved the emissions from your car to the power plant.

Don't see the benefit - yet anyway. Tell me how I'm wrong in my analysis.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • boston1450
    Options
    Then the town office & state charge you road tax & that goes up-because they need more $$$ in their wallets
    Randy/Maine
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    If electric takes over, road taxes will become the norm.
    In the meantime, progressive states will start taxing gas
    Like they do smokes and booze. You'll pay more
    In taxes than for the fuel. Any guess which one will
    Take the lead?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    New Jersey. Murphy has already stated that he has plans for it but was waiting for the election results to do anything about it so that he wouldn't kill his re-election chances.

Oh, also, that was under hidden video because he never said it publicly. He hinted at it publicly but that was it. He entirely plans to increase fuel taxes and sine NJ's constitution gives the Governor absolute powers, he can do it without the legislature's approvals.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Your analysis is based on data from a road trip, during which charging these cars is nearly 100% at public charging stations (assuming that the initial charge was made at a home charging station, but in the case of this comparison video, probably wasn’t). The cost per kilowatt hour charged at these stations is variable, but is typically several times that for what is charged to you at home. Extrapolating the cost per year of driving an electric vehicle based on public charging rates is preposterous. Most EV owners charge up at home most, if not all, of the time. I do not believe that EVs are yet practical for use on long road trips, yet this is often how they are compared. The cost data would look quite a bit different if this comparison was made using the cars for what they are most likely to be used for, routine daily uses such as commuting and errand running, and with only home charging.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    Let's see one running in upstate NY winter.
    My guess is range drops in half.
    And comparing costs over time will require time.
    Right now we don't know how battery packs will
    Last or what replacement costs will be.
    Add to the problem a number of states power companies
    Have rates that go up with usage. So going home at night
    and plugging in might very well NOT be cheaper than
    doing it in public. A power outage would likely knock
    Out transportation as well as home heating and cooling.

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Yeah, not practical for upstate NY as well as for long road trips. It’s difficult to modulate the throttle on some EVs in low-traction conditions.
    But I gotta disagree with your comment about home charging NOT being cheaper than public charging. From what I’ve read, even if you are a subscriber to one of the public charging services, you’re better off charging at home than paying their rates.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Reading the article, the man's 8-year old daughter stated that the e-Mustang looked bad.
    Not good bad but bad bad.

.....obviously she's a climate denier. 😲

She's certainly denying he current cultural climate. B)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2021
    Options
    ^^ Ugh.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    Options
    ^^ Ugh.

Just think of what it would've looked like by the 1973 model :o

Of course, I could find neither anyone's rendering, nor a photo of an actual restomod, depecting such an abomination.
    I did find this, though. :|

ibxk7fjd064h.png
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I can't wait to see all the power cords coming out the windows at apartment buildings to charge these things at home.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    In fairness the Mustang Falcon reboot doesn't look too bad as bad from the front.

yst9cucasnoc.png
  • boston1450
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    I can't wait to see all the power cords coming out the windows at apartment buildings to charge these things at home.

Glad I wasn't taking a drink reading this
    Randy/Maine
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited November 2021
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »

Glad I wasn't taking a drink reading this

But it's true. Wait till a complex burns down when some d ou che puts a splitter on your cord in the middle of the night

This isn't a flip the switch idea.

As we go along along, better man up on the fire depts
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    I'm still waiting for steam power to catch on.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for steam power to catch on.

vktx7alj6k3r.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Needs a new wishbone.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    There was a guy who used to park in the upper floor of the parking garage
    backing up to Beale street. He would be next to a power outlet and plug
    it in using a 110 slow charger. Most likely he sucked up enough juice
    to more than break even on monthly parking charges.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Yaba daba do!

I read that and immediately thought of the Fruity Pebbles commercial.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jRd7-RYYN-g

Of course we all know that was performed by "Le Tigre" who were well known for their song "Mediocrity Rules" which obviously inspired their contribution to the Fruity Pebbles commercial.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UHfPXN6Y0cc

....and now you know.

wt5opr5fq5u4.jpg

Sal Palooza
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Needs a new wishbone.

figures you would know what is wrong with a car from the stone age... :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    aww... jeez... now you're givin' me parenting little kids in the late-'80s/early-'90s flashbacks! :o

du0mrdvifsy4.png
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    hvilpmmb82jt.png

Just can't help myself sometimes, lol.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's