True cost of electric car versus gas powered car

Options
Interesting article on the actual cost of charging an electric car versus a gasoline powered car. At this time, if a gas car gets at least 33 MPG it is a bit less expensive to fuel than an electric car. One of the reasons is having to waste the electric charge by driving around looking for a charging station.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-expensive-charging-electric-vehicle-150723451.html
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,525
    Options
    Those findings seem pretty skewed. I suspect that most electric car owners charge them exclusively at home. Others might use a charger at the workplace as well, which would mean that they don’t waste any of their charge hunting around for one. The Porsche Taycan owner appears to be an outlier in terms of electric car ownership.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,137
    edited October 2021
    Options
    The article also fails to discuss the incredible amount of CO2, fossil fuel use and environmental damage done to build that electric car in the first place...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    You're probably correct. As electric becomes more popular, and gas more expensive, the charging cost will probably come down.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Another item is the article is based on a gas price of $2.81 a gallon, but I just saw on the news that gas now averages $3.30 a gallon.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    You're probably correct. As electric becomes more popular, and gas more expensive, the charging cost will probably come down.

You could not be more wrong, given that especially here in CA, they have not built a new power plant in more than 30 years. For some reason, those new plants that create power from good intentions and unicorn farts just don't seem to work out too well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    That’s a good question, but that article doesn’t even go half way to answering it.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Electric grid. ⚡⚡
    'Nuff said.
    Sal Palooza
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Electric vehicles are just to make people feel like they are doing something good, just like LEED certification for new home construction.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,348
    Options
    The only way any of this “green agenda” works is nuclear power, and the folks pushing the electric vehicles seem reluctant to embrace the new generation of clean, safe reactor designs.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Need more copper!! Takes 300% more copper to build an electric car. Copper has doubled in the last year. Not enough resource currently...and we will need to source 6000% more in 10yrs.

This excludes the other natural elements needed for all electric cars.

I'm not anti-electric...but we are trying to put the cart in front of the horse.

So for those families that don't have a garage, driveway, several cars in the family, cars parked on the street, don't work at a place providing charges, apartments with already sky high rent, limited resource ie local charging stations. ????

HOA's gonna love extension cords
    Fire dept gonna love the calls...house burnt down on 47th ....charging the car was the cause.
    Sir in order to charge your cars at your home you will need to upgrade your house panel
    but that cost $2k with inspections
    sorry sir
    For those who can ...will do it
    For those who can't...FU...mandate
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options
    Also let's not talk about how many more computer chips an electric car uses, many times more than a gas car. Hey that's fine, we're just overflowing with computer chip inventories. lol.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,488
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Opps. Cars. I don't have a car. I'd take a Tesla for a spin tho. Back to my drink. Carry on
    Randy/Maine
  • CottageChz
    Options
    I’m not anti-electric car either but we aren’t there yet for mass adoption or mandate. The nice ones that have a good range are too expensive for most people. I don’t want to be forced to stop for 45+ min to charge if I want to go on a vacation or road trip once or twice a year. Manufacturing the batteries doesn’t seem like the cleanest most eco-friendly process either.

I strongly dislike Musk too, so that doesn’t really make me want to rush out and buy an electric car :D
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    Options
    If your electric is not stable IE...Cal. You have a had time charging the car.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    Options
    The market will deliver a solution, not passing laws.
    The material used to build current electric cars is a problem.
    Until tech improves electric will bottleneck on material
    Availability.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I have a 2017 Kia Hybrid and like it. I can get 44MPG and I'm not chained to an outlet. This makes me an outcast to the all electric types.

We have experimental all electric vehicles at the company I work at. IMO it is more of a political thing along with being a beta tester for the manufacturer. Some of the manufacturers have gone out of business. No parts available, so they sit collecting dust. We have some hybrid electric assist vehicles, where they install the electric motor in the driveline or at rear of trans. Deceleration charges the battery pack. They don't get much better MPG. High fuel prices are their friend.

We've had electric motor bearing failures on the driveline motors that typically take out the rectifier and wiring. Man do they stink bad when that happens. Out of warranty so over 5K to repair, plus you can't use the vehicle until the driveline motor is replaced.

The other issue is more serious. A specific model with the driveline motor used a short, double cardan, or constant velocity driveshaft between the trans and electric motor. I attached pic of one for those who don't know what that is. Double cardan allows for a little more driveline angle than a single u-joint. I should say double double cardan as there is one on each end. There is a centering bearing between the two joints that keeps the two joints spinning balanced.

On some, the centering bearing would fail which put the double cardan out of balance. If the driver says nothing it gets worse until eventually the imbalance is so bad, the joint comes apart and the transmission is torn off the engine and deposited on the roadway. Often, the engine crankshaft bends, making for a pricy repair. This typically happens on/at expressway speeds.

54wccwfc9i4a.png

The trans is backwards here, front of veh is left side of pic.

5x97d6g2nvdr.jpg

Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Where's Sal? He'd certainly give us some propaganda we can believe in...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Where's Sal? He'd certainly give us some propaganda we can believe in...

Bite your tongue!!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    BEETLEGUICE!!!

• txcoastal1
    Options
    That brings up jobs for all the grease heads that get phased out. Now you have to become a low-voltage tech

So rough estimate, 1.5m electric cars on the road in US out of 275m/3= 91m

Hmmm

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Hertz to order 100k Tesla’s by end of 2022. So if you want to experience one here’s your best option. Should be good for both companies.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,105
    Options
    ^^^^ yeah, heard that on NPR today.
    A win-win for Hertz (heh, kind of an ironically appropriate name, in the context of electric cars!) and Tesla, too. Hertz is probably having trouble getting regular ol' cars, and maybe Tesla's better positioned in 2021 to provide cars than the old horse-n-buggy-era competition.

I.e., I presume (???) that Tesla's designs may use rather more modern and consequently readily available chips (in the context of 2021's supply chain imbroglio) than do the old-school I/C automotive designs.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Tesla uses the most generic chips and apples their software across various processors, memory mapped an IO mapped chips, after all Tesla is foremost a software company. The others such as GM the approach is from a hardware perspective having components custom designed and built by others.

Not to say Tesla hasn’t been affected by the shortage but they have ramped up production in 2021 whereas the others have seen a decrease.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Glad to see that WE are able to help Tesla build back better. ⚡⚡
    Sal Palooza
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    Options
    Not to say Tesla hasn’t been affected by the shortage but they have ramped up production in 2021 whereas the others have seen a decrease.

That's a misnomer.

Tesla may have increased production but it's because of sales increases. It doesn't correlate to sales stoppages due to product shortages caused by a number of reasons from disease induced transport restrictions to dumb political decisions.

Tesla's ability to maintain growth isn't due to to any other reason than this is normal market expansion. Even with the current growth rate, they are still a drop in the bucket in overall vehicle sales in the United States.

With the incentives and the stimulus checks flying around everywhere, the U.S. market and ALL manufacturers were on track to have a banner year in sales until outside forces impacted organic market growth negatively.

Then again, stimulus checks could be argued to have a negative impact as well since many folks used them for down payments on new rides that they probably can't afford since they're unemployed and all. So it's probably just expanding the auto loan bubble even further than it already was.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,765
    edited October 2021
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Then the price per kwh will go up, maybe even double, as the current grid would have a tough time supporting every home with an EV..or 2.

Just like when natural gas prices went up 200-300% around 2002 almost overnight.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    They had better figure something out quick. There's no way ATM you can supply enough green or any electricity for this endeavor. With some wanting to take all gas, coal and nuclear power plants off line and knowing that no new power plants have been built in YEARS they had better get busy. The last power plant built near me took almost 10 years to complete. That was after it took almost 15 to get all permits and finished plans.
    I'm sorry but more windmills and solar farms are giant space hogs.
    Anyone here live next to windmills? Yea they sell it to you as "you'll never know their there" HORSE HOCKEY!
    I live next to several, the noise is unbearable. It's a very irritating concussive giant fan pulsating sound. It grabs your house and shakes the *hit out of it. Many of the farmers that had them put in fields near their house have left their family farmhouse because of it. Personally I thought they were crazy until I went to see for myself.

The biggest lie is.... NONE OF THE WINDMILL STRUCTURE ITSELF RECYCLABLE!! They change out the blades pretty often and they go to the landfill. The only recyclable part is the metal.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    RE:. Windmills.
    A little video regarding the same.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bfgHXPvthhM
    Sal Palooza
  • txcoastal1
    Options