True cost of electric car versus gas powered car

Options

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Apparently electric cars are now being designed to provide electric power back to the home, or grid, in times of blackout. I would guess once electric cars are the majority there will be a huge amount of stored, idle electrical energy.

"Electric Vehicles Can Give Power Back to the Grid—Or Your Home During a Blackout"

https://www.treehugger.com/electric-vehicles-can-give-power-back-to-the-grid-home-during-blackout-5206614?utm_campaign=treehugger&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=25491218&utm_term=
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I hope I die before the apocalypse. Any apocalypse.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    Options
    I would guess once electric cars are the majority there will be a huge amount of stored, idle electrical energy.
    Oh boy......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,136
    Options
    I can see it now man.... hey neighbor, can I borrow a couple of kilowatts from you. I need to cut the lawn...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    Options
    Speaking of Hertz buying up tons of electric cars. Back when Covid started, many Car rental companies sold off their stock of cars....lockdowns and such, nobody traveling. Now, with traveling getting back under way, there are not enough cars for them with supply chain issues. Lets face it, even American made cars have a boat load of foreign parts in them.

So they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, except....Tesla. Which...there won't be the infrastructure of charging stations to handle that many rentals.

I wonder....if you bring your electric car back to the airport only half charged, what they'd charge you for that. Also if towing is included in the rental contract, in case you run out and a charging station is nowhere around. Not like you can walk to one and get a can of electricity and walk back.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,104
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I hope I die before the apocalypse. Any apocalypse.

I mean, we've been havin' 'em every few weeks, at least up here.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,122
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Apparently electric cars are now being designed to provide electric power back to the home, or grid, in times of blackout. I would guess once electric cars are the majority there will be a huge amount of stored, idle electrical energy.

"Electric Vehicles Can Give Power Back to the Grid—Or Your Home During a Blackout"

https://www.treehugger.com/electric-vehicles-can-give-power-back-to-the-grid-home-during-blackout-5206614?utm_campaign=treehugger&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=25491218&utm_term=

Going to be a PITA to charge it once the battery is depleted 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    Options
    I don't want to provide any commentary on costs or environmental impact of electric. However, I did think this was a good overview of what traveling with electric vs gas might be like.
    https://youtu.be/vXzuFprlyrw

Personally, I find the rise of electric very interesting and I enjoy watching all the news and releases about the upcoming technology. But I would pull the trigger on one just yet for several reasons, and this road trip scenario is one of those reasons.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    Options
    Sounds like finding a working charger is like finding a working air hose at
    A gas station. Pretty iffy. What happens when all the chargers are in use?
    And in the northeast there are lots of places to stop.
    Try the plains states. Not doable. My guess they would get stuck.
    That's not even factoring winter weather's reduced capacity.
    Let's face it. I wouldn't use one for anything but local use.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Sounds like finding a working charger is like finding a working air hose at
    A gas station. Pretty iffy. What happens when all the chargers are in use?
    And in the northeast there are lots of places to stop.
    Try the plains states. Not doable. My guess they would get stuck.
    That's not even factoring winter weather's reduced capacity.
    Let's face it. I wouldn't use one for anything but local use.

That's the thing, electric cars do have a useful purpose as part of an overall plan, but they are not a one size fits all solution for everyone....and taxing to death the other solutions to force your hand is social engineering at it's finest. Instead of giving people options and letting them choose what works for them, the choices are being made for you, like it or not, by artificially removing some choices or artificially making them too expensive to consider.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...and taxing to death the other solutions to force your hand is social engineering at it's finest. Instead of giving people options and letting them choose what works for them, the choices are being made for you, like it or not, by artificially removing some choices or artificially making them too expensive to consider.
    Just like what has been done with the prices on meat and a host of other things that don't fit the narrative...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    At 72 I will be buying my last car sometime this year. Since I drive so little now, an electric car would be perfect, but they are way to expensive to just sit in the garage all the time. However, their biggest drawback is they don't have a manual transmission. Every car/van I have owned had a manual transmission, and I don't want to break that streak.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Just like what has been done with the prices on meat and a host of other things that don't fit the narrative...

Just what we need electric vehicles and synthetic meat LOL.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    That whole impossible "meat" thing.... If I cannot pronounce the ingredients or have any idea what it may be a concoction of .... I DO NOT EAT IT!!

So my take away from the E-car thing is.. When they state they charged for XX minutes does that mean they charged until it has a full battery OR were they charging just enough to get to the next charger? That was confusing to me. When I'm on a road trip in my gas vehicle and I stop for gas I do not just put in a half a tank, that would be silly in a big way.
  • invalid
    Options
    If they told you all the inconveniences nobody would buy them.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    What happens when all the chargers are in use?
    There is a Tesla Super charger station a few minutes from my house. I think they have a total of 10 chargers. More than once I’ve seen the station full, people waiting in the lot, and as many as 5 cars waiting in line on the highway frontage road.

The unfortunate answer is… you wait.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

Just what we need electric vehicles and synthetic meat LOL.

Funny you should mention artificial meat. That stuff could be lethal to my son, as the mix of beans used to make that crap causes hemolysis so quickly that he goes into shock...

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    At 72 I will be buying my last car sometime this year

So you are stuck with the same car for the next 24 years? B O O R I N G !
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,014
    Options
    I just ran across this article, which mentions a breakthrough in 'contactless' (aka, wireless) charging on a large scale.
    https://www.circuitinsight.com/programs/55955.html
    If developed further, I guess cars could just pull up close to a big superconductor for charging...no wires or plugs.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,462
    Options
    Maybe I missed it but I don't think anyone has even mentioned the initial cost of a Tesla in the first place. They are quite expensive for a 4 door sedan compared to an equal size gasoline powered vehicle, no?
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    Options
    Yeah but it's only 5 kW which is 1/8th of what a regular Tesla charger puts out at max output and about 1/15th of what the smallest Tesla "Supercharger" puts out.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,122
    Options
    If they can make it where it charges as you drive, aka something in the road, I'm on board
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • invalid
    Options
    When electric vehicles become mainstream how much more money will petroleum based products be if we aren't refining it for vehicles? I mean the leftover stuff is used to make all sorts of products.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    If they can make it where it charges as you drive, aka something in the road, I'm on board

I'm afraid the electromagnetic fields could be very detrimental to many creatures, including humans.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    When electric vehicles become mainstream how much more money will petroleum based products be if we aren't refining it for vehicles? I mean the leftover stuff is used to make all sorts of products.

You mean like polymer and plastics that everyone takes for granted and is the number 1 pollution item in the oceans....
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,483
    Options
    All this talk about electric vehicles is depressing me. I'm gonna go for ride in the V10 today & turn the heat on & roll the windows down. Gonna pull into the gas station & fill er up - like the good ole days. I may even step on the accelerator just to hear the motor :)
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,483
    Options
    Went for ride. Hit a bump & looked in mirror. Didn't see any rust or quarterpanels fall off truck :) Old truck is ready for snow. Not so depressed now.... Back on subject. I was in Medway Maine at the truck stop off i95. There was a Tesla charging station there. I didn't know these electric cars were that nice. Looked sporty n fast. I'd take a spin in it.
    Randy/Maine