Which one?

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,795
edited October 2021 in The Clubhouse
Just for fun, can you guess which one is stainless steel? Maybe state the reason for your choice too.

No trick here, one of them used to look like the spike at the right.
jiubpdjbx09h.jpg
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Middle one would be my answer. Machining is cleaner. More uniform tip.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Shinier also. My question is what are the others made of?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    They're all the same, the one on the right is the original finish, the other two are just different states of polish.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I'd say the one on the left is the same as the one on the right. They all could be stainless as there are different grades but usually the "shinier" ones are chrome plated like the middle as opposed to a chromium alloy (stainless). :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Left
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 214
    Options
    The one on the left. I see sanding marks on it so the nickel finish may have been removed.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    So the middle, or the left one, used to be like the one on the right? 50/50 chance, I reckon.
    t9v1md2gsg21.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,039
    edited October 2021
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    So the middle, or the left one, used to be like the one on the right? 50/50 chance, I reckon.
    t9v1md2gsg21.jpg

70m0hjm5yh94.png

good ol' homophones ;)

Out of deference to the original topic -- this reminds me of my son, in his paintball days, painstakingly polishing satin-finished aluminum gun marker barrels (and sometimes other parts) with "Mother's Mag Wheel Polish" and a Dremel. :#
  • msg
    Options
    Side note, did anyone else note the appearance of the F1nut Audiophile Towel? This is used to infuse any object with the ability to enhance audio.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    They're all the same, the one on the right is the original finish, the other two are just different states of polish.

Now that you mention it...
    I meant to say finish is cleaner, not the machining. I think you could be right Ivan, different states of polish.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    The ball is under the middle cone.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,317
    Options
    My guess would be the middle. What do I win?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2021
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    My guess would be the middle. What do I win?

Tom

An all inclusive trip to F1nuts toe jam
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,680
    Options
    I don't know which is which, but they would make a great Halloween costume.

zy6kgjre80nn.jpg
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    The ball is under the middle cone.

Only if he waxes his balls
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    I would guess the one in the middle, the tip looks identical to the one on the right.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, time to reveal the SS spike. It's the one on the left. Thanks to all who posted their guess.

The spike on the right is a plated brass Dayton in satin nickel. The middle one started out like the right. I mounted it in a drill chuck and at low speed used 400 grit wet/dry followed by 600, 800 and 1000. The purpose was to try to emulate some stainless steel spikes I have that are no longer available. I realized the Dayton spikes are the same shape/size, so I thought it was worth a try. They are now anchoring a speaker stand for a subwoofer, which sits right next to a speaker stand with the stainless steel spikes. Success!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Nice job!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

zy6kgjre80nn.jpg

GWAR tribute band ? 🤗
    Sal Palooza
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    good ol' homophones ;)

There are no homophones here... live and let live. :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,002
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

zy6kgjre80nn.jpg

GWAR tribute band ? 🤗

I was thinking Gene Simmons on the 10th End of The Road Tour.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    It's the one on the left.

What do I win?

Hopefully something cooler than Tom's prize since he was wrong.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Easy Runnin
    Options
    I noticed the tip is deformed on the left spike. Is that because stainless is a softer metal?
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I noticed the tip is deformed on the left spike. Is that because stainless is a softer metal?

Probably because it has been used before
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    Options
    No, SS is considerably harder than brass. The SS spikes came with extremely sharp tips unlike the slighty rounded over tips on the Daytons. The slightly deformed tip on the SS spike in the pic is the result of being rammed through carpet onto concrete.

President of Club Polk

• msg
    Options
    Boy, to walk in on the tail end of a conversation at the water cooler...
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited October 2021
    Options
    "And then I said I'd sure like to RAM MY SPIKE THROUGH HER CARPET ONTO HER CONCRETE, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!"

"Oh, hey boss!"
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ya'll are perverts.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ya'll are perverts.

Card carrying...
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Hell I'm still trying to figure out if I was right or wrong.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus