One song. Listen to this one song. Thank me later.

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    I forget which Telarc has "Olympic Fanfare" but that is one that gets regular rotation in the rigs over the years. It is a fantastic recording of that song and I also use it to demo the rig to folks who have not heard it before.

I'll have to pull out the one you mentioned, Mark. I don't recall that song off the top of my head but I know I have it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited September 2021
    Options
    A rousing all-analog version was on one of the original Crystal Clear "Sonic Fireworks" direct to (vinyl) disk records as well. Amusingly -- I have a copy here someplace, but it's been MIA for a while. :/
  • treitz3
    Options
    I found it.....the one with Olympic Fanfare.

erxlb6a0d8p5.png

I use this song to test not only horns and imaging but how realistic the Timpani's are when the music stops for a moment. As soon as they hit, I'll know whether a system is on track or lacking. It's also just a plain ol' fun song to listen too. Killer recording on this one to boot.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    So.....Harry, Milito....what are your thoughts?

Tom
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Tom, could suggest something that isn't impossible to find? Please?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    Options
    Rob, it is available (at least as reported) on Apple music via streaming. That should give you a sample of what it can do for you.

If not, IIRC, I was able to find a CD of this for about 4 bucks somewhere a couple of days ago.

When I suggest something, it's not because of the music 100% of the time. It's more for the experience of said music. If one has a system that's up to par (or even less than)? It will sound incredible compared to a normal CD/LP/recording. I don't suggest something that is half %$#, if you know what I mean.

Tom
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the vinyl version
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    Options
    Oh, that's a different animal entirely. The Telarc digital is good enough for me not to look that way.....although it is intriguing.

But probably VERY costly.

However you can swing it? Just give it a listen. One cannot just go back to a "normal" recording after that. What I do, is shut down the system and listen to it another day.....after a recording like this. Words just cannot describe.

Tom
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

I haven't received mine yet. We went on a short vacation and put the mail on hold. It may come in today.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • treitz3
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    Time Warp does have some great tracks and Ascent is very good. I was a closet listener back in the late 80's when I wasn't listening to Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, Styx, Kansas, Zepplin, etc.

Dang, now I'm going to have to dig it out for a listen.

I wish I had enough foresight to start collecting back then. It wasn't until about 17 years ago that I started collecting music I never thought I'd listen to....but something told me that one day? I'd really enjoy it.

That day has come.....and beyond what I used to consider classical....Elton John's, "Funeral for a Friend". LOL

All I knew when I started collecting is that all of the so called "old" people really seemed to like classical music. Both of my grandfather's sure did and I took after them in a lot of ways. Then I got to thinkin'....

If both of them enjoyed the hell out of it....and I grew up on it listening to samples of it in the various cartoons we watched as a kid? One day, I'd enjoy it too. Maybe that is illogical thinking....maybe it is logical. Whatever it was, I sure am glad I did it because some of the selections I bought are worth a...

Let's just say that they are either unobtainable or "not cheap" anymore. Not even close....but they sure are a blast to listen to now. Especially given the level of system I am playing them on now. But please allow me to digress.

I wish I had enough foresight to start collecting back then.

Tom
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    like i said, half price books is the place to go. their clearance section is $2 ea. and if the date on the price tag is 6 months or older they will mark it down to $2. I got 3 telarc cds and double disc telarc cd for $2 each.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options

Tom

Just received "Time Warp" on Monday. It came from UK and took a few weeks to arrive. I have listened one time so far on Paradigm Studio 60's with MF A5 Integrated. Discovered Def. Tec SC6000 subwoofer has a problem so delayed there.

Today I will listen on SDA 2B's with MF 3.2 integrated.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    @marvda1 thanks for the mention of Half Price Books, as I went for a Sunday drive today I happened upon one (had no idea there was one in the area).

No Telarc discs found on clearance, but got Basia, Grover Washington Jr., and Phish for $2/ea. 😎
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    @jbreezy5 check the regular priced used cds and on the price sticker see if the date is 6 months or older and ask them if they will reduce the price. at the stores near me they will mark them down to clearance prices. also look for reference recordings, chesky, dmp, sheiffeld labs, and telarc.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Found a Telarc!

i7627xdmng7p.jpeg
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    I’ve been picking up suggested labels as mentioned above. ‘Bout dropped a load listening to well-recorded Tchaikovsky when 1812 cannons fired! 😅😂🤣

Any consensus on Teldec label? Been seeing those scattered here and there.

• BlueBirdMusic
    Options

Tom

@treitz3 FINALLY!

Incredibly Outstanding!!!

"Ascent" scared one cat in another room and caused him to growl.
    Scared the hell out of me the first time and the second time!
    Felt like I was in space with Starfleet.

Loved the 2001: A Space Odyssey music.
    Took me back to the first spectacular sound theater in Atlanta when I saw it for the first time.

Played SACD version on SA8005, MF 3.2, and 2B's.
    Had Infinity Servo Sub (SSW-210) from the "golden days" of Infinity with two 10 inch woofers connected.
    Next time, I plan to connect a second SSW-10 to see what happens.

Thanks for the indescribable enjoyment.

Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • treitz3
    Options
    Glad to hear you finally got to hear it the way it's supposed to be heard. Pet your cat for me. LOL

Tom
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Their cds are great but their vinyl is outrageous.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Grave-digging here, but wanted to mention another label that to my ears competes with Red Seal and Telarc…

CBS Records Masterworks. I’ve been picking them up whenever I can..

• treitz3
    Options
    Red Seal? That's a new one on me. Any suggestions for your favorite?

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    RCA Red Seal.

Will post some picks…

• treitz3
    Options
    Looks like they do a whole heck of a lot of Classical music. I am surprised (just looking at Discogs) just how many albums they have.

What's your favorite sounding album (sonically)?

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Looks like they do a whole heck of a lot of Classical music. I am surprised (just looking at Discogs) just how many albums they have.

What's your favorite sounding album (sonically)?

Tom

Exactly, RCA Red Seal is a classical label, not to be confused with RCA Gold Seal and RCA Silver Seal, which are ironically inferior recordings in comparison.

Couldn’t name a favorite, because I listen according to mood, and there are so many excellent recordings.

Some notable ones are:

4gi64hler2pv.jpeg

s337k3iv46vx.jpeg

iz0prw5yp606.jpeg

4fpgxxpnux0a.jpeg

t7tr25yoo6qz.jpeg

1ja372kgussq.jpeg

• jbreezy5
    Options
    Here are some CBS Records Masterworks discs:

4rev7enyakrk.jpeg

ka8tccvm9mhx.jpeg

7qcyv8z8cygv.jpeg

3m04ncg32ia3.jpeg

217w0bqsatvl.jpeg

• treitz3
    Options
    Okay, thank you, sir.

Out of all of the ones pictured......which one would you say is the most sonically pleasing?

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    I…just…can’t.

What I can say is try one work from each label that you’re not already familiar with (which probably rules out 1812, Nutcracker, and Van Cliburn in Moscow).

Then do “eenie, meanie, miny, mo”. It’s hard to go wrong.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Nice collection! Would like to hear some of those through my SA-KI Ruby for sure.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    Options
    I'm a little late to the party on this thread, but thanks Tom for suggesting this! I just added this to my server and the whole album so far is amazing! It's really testing my new Revels (and they are passing with flying colors)
    The dynamic range is incredible! I've never had my W4S STP-SE pre up to 40, but it was needed for the soft stuff. Thankfully I have 550wpc into 4 ohms for those peaks!
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    I can't find the Telarc anywhere, but this one is damn good...

Celebrating John Williams (Live At Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles / 2019)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson