If you had $4,000 for a amp????

1235»

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,457
    edited July 2021
    CH46E wrote: »
    When I crank it up, I dont want to have an ounce of worry that I'm pushing the amp to clipping. I want to get 100% from the speakers and not have to worry about the amp. I'm pretty sure my short list of amps can do that.

Some amps with protection circuitry can output and consume way more current and voltage then what they were designed for when they come out of protection. I had ESL's for a few years. Took them to a Polk Fest we had. Very capacitive two to one hundred twenty ohms load. A fellow hooked up his amp, cranked it up. The amp went into protect, came out of protect, there was a loud pop and bright flash on one of the ESL panels. It blew a hole in the ESL diaphragm and popped the room outlets circuit breaker. Guilty of having way more amp than I need.

In regard to subs, your room / space / placement determines your speaker +- 3dB performance. Your music choices also determine how low in frequency you need to hear.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,355
    Some amps with protection circuitry can output and consume way more current and voltage then what they were designed for when they come out of protection.

I had a carver receiver back in the late 80's that I tripped the protection circuit on and when it came back on a few seconds later it shot out a huge flame.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,567
    ^^^This behavior sort of begs a question or two.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    TMR has a KSA-200S, but I would go for the McCormack DNA-225 Silver Ed. and have SMcAudio upgrade further if you want. I think that would still be within your budget. I LOVE my Platinum Ed. I sent a PM with more info.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,591
    pkquat wrote: »
    TMR has a KSA-200S, but I would go for the McCormack DNA-225 Silver Ed. and have SMcAudio upgrade further if you want. I think that would still be within your budget. I LOVE my Platinum Ed. I sent a PM with more info.

It looks like Steve McCormack is not longer performing upgrades. His web site say Conrad-Johnson for service. That's a shame.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 431
    Threshold T400 is as close as any amp in my aural memory comes to fitting your description above.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisaa59c-threshold-t400-solid-state

This one had all of the power supply caps replaced, which is good since it runs hot.

HOWEVER, it uses IGBTs, which are now unobtanium. And the balanced input impedance is 1 Kohms, which is very, very low.

Only $2195.

Not affiliated with whomever is selling this one.
    Alon Petite / Infinity 1.2S / Coda Continuum / Counterpoint SA5000 / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Man there is a lot of Elna Silmic II's if that is what the pretty pink cans are in that Threshold.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,896
    Nelson Pass himself said the Usher amp is his design with an extra stage added just not biased as high (less heat) as he biased his amps. Some , who know how to do it increased the bias on the Usher.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,355
    Actually if you compare the Usher schematic posted here against the
    Threshold schematics, you will see that there are quite a few differences.

The Usher has a different front end - it is biased by different current sources
    and uses current mirrors off the input stage and has a differential VAS. The
    first does not regulate as well, and the last two create a higher open loop
    gain (for more feedback). The bias system is different and is placed after
    the drive stage, not before.

The output stage is pretty similar though.

You may prefer the Usher, but I would not call it a close copy.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 431
    Speaking of Mr Pass, he recently introduced a new, improved front end board for his older STASIS designs and posted it over on DIY Audio:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/363701-stasis-front.html

BTW, if you didn't know, he had nothing to do with the T-series amps from Threshold. I just thought they sounded wonderful when I got to listen to them many years ago. Stereophile's measurements of the T200 were very impressive.
    Alon Petite / Infinity 1.2S / Coda Continuum / Counterpoint SA5000 / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • Give the Yamaha MX-D1 a look. If you can find one for sale, they are great 500 watt rms per channel, can handle very low impedance, sound superb, and are smaller/lighter than most others in this power level. I am running my Polk 2.3 TL with VR3 X/O with the MX-D1 and the sound is amazing, even considering the new crossovers are not done breaking in.