What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    I just replaced the old wobbly audio rack. It was time to get something much more stable. That was the first requirement. The second was I wanted more space between shelves. For any equipment changes in the future,and also if I want to add some sort of component isolation. I couldn’t find anything in my budget. I found a lot of great stuff at prices that are out of my pay grade. I have read some nice reviews of the Monoprice,Monolith 4 Tier Audio Stand XL. However,it didn’t check all the boxes. So,I ordered 2! By combining the parts from 2, I was able to make a stand that checked all the boxes. I was able to add some vibration control for my TT. I was also able to get a matching amp stand for the main system,and also one for the second system. These racks are really substantial, and super easy to assemble. To finish things off, I have 3/8" plugs coming to fill in the drill holes that are not being used. The total investment was $282. Tax included. (That price includes the plugs I found on epay)

h5gqr4r36tkt.jpeg
    04ccigq5ehlc.jpeg
    rvvokyko4qnf.jpeg
    I have the same rack. How’d you handle cable management? Mine looks like a rats nest. LOL.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    xsmi wrote: »
    I just replaced the old wobbly audio rack. It was time to get something much more stable. That was the first requirement. The second was I wanted more space between shelves. For any equipment changes in the future,and also if I want to add some sort of component isolation. I couldn’t find anything in my budget. I found a lot of great stuff at prices that are out of my pay grade. I have read some nice reviews of the Monoprice,Monolith 4 Tier Audio Stand XL. However,it didn’t check all the boxes. So,I ordered 2! By combining the parts from 2, I was able to make a stand that checked all the boxes. I was able to add some vibration control for my TT. I was also able to get a matching amp stand for the main system,and also one for the second system. These racks are really substantial, and super easy to assemble. To finish things off, I have 3/8" plugs coming to fill in the drill holes that are not being used. The total investment was $282. Tax included. (That price includes the plugs I found on epay)

h5gqr4r36tkt.jpeg
    04ccigq5ehlc.jpeg
    rvvokyko4qnf.jpeg
    I have the same rack. How’d you handle cable management? Mine looks like a rats nest. LOL.

I just ordered some cable organizers. Ad another $10 to my total budget. I should have them next week.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • TEAforONE
    First attempt at a more visually acceptable version. Practice makes perfect (will make). Another Monitor 7 set nearly completed. It would be fun to get some of these out to folks for independent review and feedback. I'm thrilled with the sound and these are never coming off my 7B set.

2gxf05fqt9lm.jpg

i6zswthd491r.jpg[

They look great. Looks like you have a new calling!
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Added Cyberpower UPS/Surge/Line Protection to bedroom system. Looking at adding a Greenwave Filter for line purification.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpower-1500va-sine-wave-battery-back-up-system-black/6408459.p?skuId=6408459
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited June 2021
    First attempt at a more visually acceptable version. Practice makes perfect (will make). Another Monitor 7 set nearly completed. It would be fun to get some of these out to folks for independent review and feedback. I'm thrilled with the sound and these are never coming off my 7B set.

They look great. Looks like you have a new calling!

Thank you! They make the frequency response smoother both on and off axis. Clarity and detail and transparency are significantly better and instruments and voices are more precisely located with a deeper soundstage. A good test for me was to play "Mercy Street" by Peter Gabriel on the album "So". Peter Gabriel's and Tony Levin's voices are similar in pitch and volume and used to be a subtle distinction, as far as separating them out. Not anymore! It is clear as day. I think that drastically reducing the diffractions takes out all those little time delayed reflections from the edges of the baffle and clears up everything.

This is nothing new really. The way I am doing it they have a concealed hook and loop attachment system that allows repositioning and removal. They are made out of low density materials to reduce weight and also to reduce any resonances and reflections. They are effective at wavelengths down to 8 x Radius as a rule of thumb, so these ones I made are good for frequencies of around 1kHz and above. I'm sure their fundamental voices are lower than that, so it must be the overtones that are cleared up?

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    zpn0rnq8nthw.jpg

Stained and added another shelf for the record collection. Much easier to browse through now.

Beautiful!
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • TEAforONE
    It’s easier to ask for forgiveness,than to ask for permission.
  • Gardenstater
    jbail2011 wrote: »
    I acquired these bad boys and am in love! I thought my 2b’s sounded great (and they do). These 2.3’s are next level. I’ve ordered the carpet spikes for the Gaia 2 feet. The speakers are overweight for their rating however the Gaia 1 are 1200 for 2 sets😳. I also have another Carver amp on the way. I’m going to get killed if I keep this up.

If you put a screw eye hook into the center of each top and the ceiling with a pulley up there, then you can reduce the load on the Gaia 2s with a cable and a few sash weights. Don't say it was my idea. I don't need the credit 🤣

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited June 2021
    "guyincognito;c-2646670"]zpn0rnq8nthw.jpg

Stained and added another shelf for the record collection. Much easier to browse through now. [/quote]

You should market these shelves; they’re beautiful and right-sized!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • guyincognito
    guyincognito Posts: 128

You should market these shelves; they’re beautiful and right-sized![/quote]

Well thank you for the compliments but I didn't actually build the shelves. Just did the finish work. They are modular units from Mapleshade that I bought in unfinished oak. I outgrew the double stack so added a 3rd (you can see the top shelf is just a little darker in the photos).

https://mapleshadestore.com/unfinishedoakfurniture.php
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Gardenstater
    edited June 2021
    Armacelled the inside of the basket on my R speaker's MW. Spokes and the spaces between near the spider. Initial impression is that everything seems smoother. Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley" always seemed to have excessive reverb. It is still there but it is tamed now. This is going to require more listening before I do the L speaker. Some pictures to give an idea of what I did. No guts no glory is what I told myself lol. Ist two pics are on a spare drive with which I determined the size for the spokes to be 1-1/4" wide by 1-5/16" long. Kind of like surgery or that Operation game from when we were kids (ok some of us lol). Curved hemostats and the angle plate (to hold speaker vertically) were very useful tools, even mandatory perhaps.

pv783253q843.jpg

gmx1scq299t7.jpg

2p4s3tv2k9po.jpg

e8t107lkh471.jpg

vvzao232gmei.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    R speaker which is modified is definitely showing a smoother frequency response than L now with whitenoise and Advanced Spectrum Analyzer Pro on my phone. Bears out what I am hearing.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Another interesting thing is that I had balanced my L and R speakers to within 0.1dB just prior to the mod on the R speaker and after the mod I had to lower the L speaker's level by 0.4dB to make them equal again, so it looks like the sound is cleaner on the R speaker after the mod but there is less sPL. Probably has to do with reducing some of those backwave reflections that impinge upon the rear of the cone.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited June 2021
    After re-caulking some ceiling joints along the front wall in the front room, I cranked up my entrance system with some music CDs I pulled from the area where the hidden window was.

I hope I didn't wake the neighbors playing "Black Betty". :) I wanted to pull some favorites from there and put them beside the entrance system in that close rack for easy access. I've run through most of the CDs I like that are in the entrance rack already. I'll swap a lot of CDs I really didn't want to listen to with A LOT of ones I will. :) I found a Logins and Messina CD that has Angry Eyes on it but it's 2:30sec. long. I thought it was 6+ minutes...I'm going to look on the web...Yup...8 min.

Yup...there is a long version... B)
    https://youtu.be/lFM-VaUO_CE

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    ^^^^^ Good choice Tony!! Great music!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    ^^^^^
    The ones on eBay that were on my watch list?
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I hooked my RTA12b's up to my A/C wall receiver. An Onkyo HT-R520.

I turned the bass up a little to hear more thumpin.

Man do they sound great. It's been a few months since I heard them. They are special speakers!

I hope I didn't disturb my new neighbor again. I finally came in at 3am. I was rockin on some classic rock right up till 3. :p

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    kx2h5vj5043l.jpg
    mo0cra130obw.jpg

Just added a Locki to my Schiit stack a few minutes ago.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    ^^^^^
    The ones on eBay that were on my watch list?
    It was the pre, amp, and CD player up in the Illinois burbs. Seemed like a quick sale priced to move deal to me. Now I just have to get it back to Georgia!
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    kx2h5vj5043l.jpg
    mo0cra130obw.jpg

Please do tell! I'm wanting to add a Loki to my Anthem Pre2L and Hafler XL600 asap. There are just some songs that need a bass and or treble boost.

Do you feel it takes anything away?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    CH46E wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    kx2h5vj5043l.jpg
    mo0cra130obw.jpg

Please do tell! I'm wanting to add a Loki to my Anthem Pre2L and Hafler XL600 asap. There are just some songs that need a bass and or treble boost.

Do you feel it takes anything away?

It's got a bypass switch in the front if you dont want it on, but using it for some of those posthumous Hendrix recordings and the likes it can help out a bit on the recordings that are not up to par fun little gadget.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Schiit Jot2 from @Clipdat arrived today. Currently hooked to a b&k 125.2 and a pair of Boston A150's. Source is a Google Chromecast into a modded Adcom 600 Dac. Currently warming for a more indepth listen later tonight.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    I just talked myself down from getting in on the Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend sale at noon today (mountain time). These get a fair amount of good reviews and I’ve been considering downsizing from Magnepan MG 3.6Rs. So I played a few LPs and CDs a couple hours before the sale as I was trying to decide on the finish to order. Decided that the downsizing can wait. Anyone here have experience with Zu speakers? I was thinking that I’d go to RMAF in October, but Zu won’t be exhibiting there this year. Their return policy is reasonably good, so perhaps the best way to hear them would be to buy a pair.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    As I'm listening to The Animals, I look at my pre amp. There is Stereo /Mono button. I know the difference (I think) but why is my question?? When would you ever need to use the mono setting?