Ford F-150 Lightning Reveal

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Can't wait for this clean energy.....
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    How much efficiency is lost in cold climates?

A LOT.
    My Volt gets about 2/3 the EV range when it is below 30* than it does when it is warmer. In fact, when it is above 75* out, with the AC running full bore, I get almost twice the EV range as I do with the heater running at a mostly comfortable level.

That being said, I would have a hard time going purely EV if you are commuting anywhere north of 30-40 miles a day. The power draw for charging with a level 2 charger, while costing less than gas, isn't a huge savings until gas prices ramp up further than they already have.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    My Lightning tows 5K pounds of crap just fine

But you could do the same thing in a Leaf if you would just divide that 5k load into 10 separate loads and make 10 trips instead of 1.
    That would be much more virtuous. 🐑
    Sal Palooza
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    My Lightning tows 5K pounds of crap just fine

But you could do the same thing in a Leaf if you would just divide that 5k load into 10 separate loads and make 10 trips instead of 1.
    That would be much more virtuous. 🐑

Or I could just get in my Lightning and romp on it while doing 1 trip in a hail of tire smoke and blower whine.

It'll pass everything but a gas station!

But it is no snoozer of a glorified golf cart. It is visceral, violent and can be an absolute handful but my gawd do you feel ALIVE when you are driving it like you stole it!

THAT'S why I love it and I've had it for 20 years now.

Y'all laugh at me if you want, I don't care. I don't care about these electric snooze fests and I honestly don't care about you and your electric vehicles. You're the only ones bothered by it and you're sitting there fuming over it trying to find something to get my goat about it.

You know what I'm doing while you're doing that? I'm driving my Lightning with the windows down, radio playing and the supercharger serenading me and the last thing I'm thinking about is you and your Leaf or your Tesla or your electric anything.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Oh, also, because of the whole idea of air density increasing as temperature drops, my Lightning actually makes more power in cold weather. That is until it gets cold enough that the injectors don't have enough flow to support the boost level you get at sub-freezing temps and it starts dumping boost out the wastegate like a Victoria Secrets model after lunch.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Mrbigbluelight's post buzzed the tower.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

Probably should have read......buzzed John's tower.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Let's see batteries do this...

https://youtu.be/EZfM2VMs_vI
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Although I had a pickup in the 90s for hauling stuff, 99% of the time it sat idle. While I will never get another truck I realize others will. Here are a couple of articles on the electric F150.

'My demos included towing 6,000 pounds up a 25% grade, standstill and passing acceleration and bumping over a jarring off-road course. They showcased key Lightning attributes including power, quiet operation, smooth ride and advanced features.'

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/took-ride-2022-ford-f-134055526.html

'The F-150 Lightning pick-up truck unveiled by Ford this week could spur efforts by the Biden administration to make electric vehicles mainstream in the U.S.

At $39,974 for the base model, which can travel up to 230 miles on a full charge, the F-150 Lightning will cost slightly less than the Tesla Model 3, the bestselling electric vehicle (EV) in the country, a competitive price for drivers looking for a rugged, all-terrain vehicle that can tow and haul plenty of cargo. On top of that, Ford said the truck’s 1,800-pound lithium-ion battery can do something very cool: power a house for up to three days.'

https://www.treehugger.com/ford-f-150-lightning-could-spark-ev-transition-5185641?utm_campaign=treehugger&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=23935198&utm_term=

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Did they do these demos in cold climates with the heater going full blast? I don't think resale value will be very good when you look at how much money it costs to replace the batteries.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    That hasn’t been true for Teslas. The resale value seems to hold up very well. Battery longevity or replacement has not emerged as a major concern at this point — and they’re getting better, as well as cheaper, all the time.
    Alea jacta est!
  • invalid
    Options
    Tesla's are sold to people who don't hang on to a car very long before they get a new one. When 3rd and 4th owners come into play is when they will be hard to sell or the batteries will need replacement.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    That hasn’t been true for Teslas. The resale value seems to hold up very well. Battery longevity or replacement has not emerged as a major concern at this point — and they’re getting better, as well as cheaper, all the time.

Well it's certainly true of the Chevys, my neighbors had two volts and both within 3 yrs had battery issues. After the second battery on one and more problems on the other they went back to IC motors and traded off the Chevys.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Yeah, the Volt’s reliability was dismal at best.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options

OMG.........I hope Sal doesn't see that comment :D
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    jzczov4q5hha.jpg

• motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^ Those are pot pants in the foreground, nice bud.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    So it's the Keystoned Pipeline ?
    🤯
    Sal Palooza
  • ZLTFUL
    edited May 2021
    Options
    jzczov4q5hha.jpg

And the open pits aren't the worst part of lithium mines. It is the leaching mines that are the real massive environmental impact.

But the winds of change are blowing and this is the horse that the powers that be have hitched their wagon to. EVs are the future whether we want them to be or not. The government has ensured that. I just want the manufacturers to make ones that are soulful. Teslas do nothing for me. And don't even get me started on what a bulbous abortion the Leaf and Prius are...

The Lyriq is at least appealing to look at. And the Audi RS eTron GT keeps a lot of the styling ques that I love from the RS7.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Hydrogen is making some progress in the auto world. I saw somewhere a truck with a 1200 mile range. Now that might be worth some attention. I guess they have a new engine technology that can put out the same torque as gas at only a third the size of the engine.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hydrogen’s best application will be replacing nat gas in industrial and domestic heating. As far as vehicles go it’s not really practical as hydrogen efficiency is only half of EV efficiency. Anyway, if hydrogen can overcome the hurdles making it particle for vehicles those days are way out into the future.

And BTW fuel cell vehicles do not have engines, they have electric motors and yes electric motors produce some serious torque.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    Options

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    I don’t think it’ll let you completely drain the batteries when used as a backup. Otherwise keep a 1993 civic out back for emergencies.

Never a bad plan. :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited May 2021
    Options

Our daughter's father-in-law had one. It spent about half of its nasty, brutish and short life in or awaiting dealer repairs of various kinds AFAIK. Ultimately, someone rear-ended it at a traffic light -- minor bumper-bender type mishap, it appeared... but it caused some sort of structural damage and the car (which was less than 2 years old, IIRC) was totaled by the insurance company.

He has a Tesla 3 now -- so far, he's very happy with it, but it's ideal for the short distance driving that hemostly uses it for.
  • invalid
    Options
    He has a Tesla 3 now -- so far, he's very happy with it, but it's ideal for the short distance driving that hemostly uses it for.

This is what they are made for, I just don't think they work out for a lot of people that have to do quite a bit of driving.
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

This is what they are made for, I just don't think they work out for a lot of people that have to do quite a bit of driving.

If we take a trip, it's in the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi.
    If we run in town errands, it is in the Volt.
    If we wanna have fun, we get out the motorcycles.