Ford F-150 Lightning Reveal

Kex
Kex Posts: 4,892
Seems to have been very well received so far:

Ford Nails the Electric F-150 Launch. — Barron’s
  • Four-door SuperCrew configuration with a 5.5-foot bed.
  • 14.1 ft³ front trunk.
  • 11 power outlets.
  • Expected 770 lb-ft of torque and 600 horsepower.
  • 0-60mph in about 4 seconds.
  • Up to 300-mile single charge range.
  • Can power an average home for three days in the event of an outage.
  • Starting price: $40K
Alea jacta est!

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    I was actually disappointed to hear it was electric.

Maybe a forced-induction version of the 7.3 gasser, I think that would sell like crazy.
  • Kex
    I wonder what GM is cooking up for the Silverado. @verb has been very busy lately. 😉
    Alea jacta est!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I watched a video about the Lightning earlier today. I was most pleasantly surprised by the frunk. Such a simple smart thing to put a big normal locking trunk in addition to the bed of the truck. Having a space to lock up items like golf clubs out of sight without taking up any space in the cab is a very cool addition.

The pricing was also a very pleasant surprise. It's not super cheap, but it's not outrageous either. Several of the electric and plugin hybrids are very interesting and seem to show some serious promise. I'm not the type to be an early adopter on vehicle tech, but I'll be keeping an on eye on it as things develop. I will be looking at a new ride hopefully in the next couple years, so maybe things will come along nicely. Or maybe that new Bronco will actually start hitting the streets and show some decent reliability by then :)
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I was behind a new Bronco a couple weeks ago. The rear end looked like a Honda Element to me, other than that it is a decent retro.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited May 2021
    audioluvr wrote: »
    gmcman wrote: »
    I was actually disappointed to hear it was electric.

Maybe a forced-induction version of the 7.3 gasser, I think that would sell like crazy.

I hear Dodge wants to compete. They are going to put a 7L (426ci) hemi in a Ram 1500 with electric windows.

Nooooo kidding electric windows..... game changer!
  • displayname
    edited May 2021
    I was behind a new Bronco a couple weeks ago. The rear end looked like a Honda Element to me, other than that it is a decent retro.

If they didn't have a full size spare on the back, and it wasn't larger than a 4Runner, than that was a Bronco Sport. The release times and naming are REALLY tainting in the hype they built up for the "big" Bronco in my opinion. I've heard countless people say things along the line of "I saw one... that's it? Why were people so excited?"

jh4wpkiuwe22.jpeg
    Discogs
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Yes it was the sport.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    I have never been a pickup truck guy, but found myself drooling at the Rangers on the Ford site the other day. I wonder if they will offer an e Ranger also. My wife's Dad was a Ford guy his whole life so I do have a shot at it...I think.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited May 2021

If they didn't have a full size spare on the back, and it wasn't larger than a 4Runner, than that was a Bronco Sport. The release times and naming are REALLY tainting in the hype they built up for the "big" Bronco in my opinion. I've heard countless people say things along the line of "I saw one... that's it? Why were people so excited?"

jh4wpkiuwe22.jpeg

Someone say Big Bronco? Good hangover cure here in the Big O! :)

pk2sghe24n9e.jpg

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785

jh4wpkiuwe22.jpeg

Either Bronco isn’t larger than a 4Runner, but I do agree the sport is a compact suv.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
    I find the lightening to be a very interesting pickup option. Not crazy expensive especially with the tax incentives although the upper tier will be substantially more than the base. It’ll be versatile, fast, and I think it looks good. Still looks like a truck. Pretty neat it can act as a battery backup for your home during an outage too. Lots of imaginative engineering in this one.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Do they say what the battery charge life is, while towing something ? Gotta imagine if your towing close to max allowed, you might be at half the capable distance.

As a battery backup for your home....and after you drain the battery keeping your home lit, how are you suppose to recharge the truck ? So now your stranded and in the dark from a power outage that lasts more than a day ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited May 2021
    I don’t think it’ll let you completely drain the batteries when used as a backup. Otherwise keep a 1993 civic out back for emergencies.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2021
    With the volume that Ford sells the f-150 and with the specs on this with a relatively low price point (for base model anyway), this will be a huge hit. The other pick up truck manufacturers better get on board - whether we like it or not the EV’s are the future. Most people who own trucks don’t use them for anything more than the occasional dump or camping trip and aren’t using it for heavy duty hauling / towing. I think they’ll sell a lot of these units but I prefer the gas guzzling v8 in my driveway and will use it until the wheels fall off
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Kex
    edited May 2021
    tonyb wrote: »
    Do they say what the battery charge life is, while towing something ? Gotta imagine if your towing close to max allowed, you might be at half the capable distance…
    That’s a big question… don’t know the answer to it. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    … As a battery backup for your home....and after you drain the battery keeping your home lit, how are you suppose to recharge the truck ? So now your stranded and in the dark from a power outage that lasts more than a day ?
    The app alerts you when the charge is below a certain level, so it would stop powering the home before it would run out of charge. Three day outages don’t happen very often.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    • 20,000 reservations less than 12 hours.
    • 44,500 reservations after two days = $4,500,000 in deposits.
    • Were Ford able to maintain about 50,000 F-150 Lightning sales annually, the truck would immediately outsell Tesla's Model Y crossover (based on 2020 annual figures), but not the Model 3 sedan (170,000 in 2020).
    • Shares jumped 3.3% in Thursday morning trading.
    Alea jacta est!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Granted, most people nowadays buy a truck to run around in town and look pretty in the driveway. However, for those who use a truck for actual work and pulling I wonder what kind of range it would get then?
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • tonyb
    Kex wrote: »
    … As a battery backup for your home....and after you drain the battery keeping your home lit, how are you suppose to recharge the truck ? So now your stranded and in the dark from a power outage that lasts more than a day ?
    The app alerts you when the charge is below a certain level, so it would stop powering the home before it would run out of charge. Three day outages don’t happen very often.

In theory maybe, but....does the power always go out when your truck is fully charged ? I'd like to know how that happens.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Granted, most people nowadays buy a truck to run around in town and look pretty in the driveway. However, for those who use a truck for actual work and pulling I wonder what kind of range it would get then?

Not much I'd imagine. It's a heavy Truck to begin with , those batteries weigh in at 1800 lbs. Seems to me, it's geared more to those who want a fast truck than a useful vehicle .
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited May 2021
    Outside of long distance hauling, I can think of many, many uses where it would be just fine. Being quick is just a bonus.

I suppose it’s not a great end of days, apocalypse vehicle either. I’d still keep my 4Runner for that.
  • displayname
    I saw something where they asked an engineer about the towing, and he dodged it smoothly by saying something like the battery will obviously have less range while towing, just like gas. But because towing has so many variables on trailer size and cargo weight, they don't release those numbers because it can't cover the variable range.
    Discogs
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    It's obvious this truck isn't made to do towing or any heavy lifting type of work.

• tonyb
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    How much efficiency is lost in cold climates?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    My Lightning tows 5K pounds of crap just fine
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!