Musical Fidelity question

Alex00
Alex00 Posts: 5
edited July 2020 in Electronics
Hi, everyone I'm new here on the forum.
I own Dyanudio Evoke 50 and Denafrips Ares II as DAC.
I want a definitive MF amp to drive them and I am looking at the A308, A5.5, Nu-Vista M3, and M6si.
Unfortunately, I've never heard them personally... I like transparent sound, deep tight bass, forward midrange, full bodied sound, no harshness or brightness.

I'd go with M6si since it's the latest model but I read that some say that the new M line sounds different and worse than the old A lines. What does it mean?
I need an opinion, thank you.

Post edited by Alex00 on

Comments

  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,154
    I am driving my dynaudio contour 1.3mkii with an MF A308. Source is a Cambridge 851n DAC/streamer. The sound is awesome! I had a Cambridge 851a most recently, and while the Cambridge sounded good, the MF is better in pretty much every way. The bass is meatier with better texture, the highs are very smooth and extended, but perhaps the biggest different is the midrange. On Chris Stapletons millionaire, the opening guitar had really nice shimmer and attack through the Cambridge, but now it has more weight and body and texture. I have a really nice acoustic guitar (a Taylor 814ce) and through the MF the acoustic sounds like it’s supposed to.


    As for the comparison, @Ricardo sold me his a308 after upgrading to the MS6i and he told me that he’s very pleased and the upgrade after having the same worry. He said the sound sig was very similar fwiw...
    Living Room 2.1: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Musical Fidelity A308; NAD M51 DAC; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 700 x3; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Alex00
    Alex00 Posts: 5
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I am driving my dynaudio contour 1.3mkii with an MF A308. Source is a Cambridge 851n DAC/streamer. The sound is awesome! I had a Cambridge 851a most recently, and while the Cambridge sounded good, the MF is better in pretty much every way. The bass is meatier with better texture, the highs are very smooth and extended, but perhaps the biggest different is the midrange. On Chris Stapletons millionaire, the opening guitar had really nice shimmer and attack through the Cambridge, but now it has more weight and body and texture. I have a really nice acoustic guitar (a Taylor 814ce) and through the MF the acoustic sounds like it’s supposed to.


    As for the comparison, @Ricardo sold me his a308 after upgrading to the MS6i and he told me that he’s very pleased and the upgrade after having the same worry. He said the sound sig was very similar fwiw...

    So you're telling me the M6si sounds very similar to the A308?
    What do you think of the A5 cr pre + power? Would they sound better than the integrated A5?
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,584
    I don't have a critical listening room anymore. My room is pretty far from ideal. But I can still tell differences, and the M6si's bass is a tad tighter. More balls if you wish (It does have more power...). I initially thought highs were a little more refined, but it might have been me trying too hard to justify the upgrade. I can tell you though that it does not sound worse than the A308. And I would say mid-range is NOT forward. It's just right. And no, it is far from being harsh.

    I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

    Hope this helps.
    _________________________________________________
    ***\\\\\........................... My Audio Journey ............................./////***

    2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,154
    Alex00 wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I am driving my dynaudio contour 1.3mkii with an MF A308. Source is a Cambridge 851n DAC/streamer. The sound is awesome! I had a Cambridge 851a most recently, and while the Cambridge sounded good, the MF is better in pretty much every way. The bass is meatier with better texture, the highs are very smooth and extended, but perhaps the biggest different is the midrange. On Chris Stapletons millionaire, the opening guitar had really nice shimmer and attack through the Cambridge, but now it has more weight and body and texture. I have a really nice acoustic guitar (a Taylor 814ce) and through the MF the acoustic sounds like it’s supposed to.


    As for the comparison, @Ricardo sold me his a308 after upgrading to the MS6i and he told me that he’s very pleased and the upgrade after having the same worry. He said the sound sig was very similar fwiw...

    So you're telling me the M6si sounds very similar to the A308?
    What do you think of the A5 cr pre + power? Would they sound better than the integrated A5?

    I’m telling you what @ricardo told me. I have no experience with any other MF equipment.
    Living Room 2.1: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Musical Fidelity A308; NAD M51 DAC; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 700 x3; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,612
    I have the MF M2si which replaced a Cambridge Audio CXA60 in my setup. Both sound very good but there is a better synergy between the Triangle speakers and the M2si vs the CXA60. I would not hesitate to recommend MF at this point. MF gear should match your Dynaudio speakers very well.
  • Alex00
    Alex00 Posts: 5
    edited July 2020
    Ricardo wrote: »
    I don't have a critical listening room anymore. My room is pretty far from ideal. But I can still tell differences, and the M6si's bass is a tad tighter. More balls if you wish (It does have more power...). I initially thought highs were a little more refined, but it might have been me trying too hard to justify the upgrade. I can tell you though that it does not sound worse than the A308. And I would say mid-range is NOT forward. It's just right. And no, it is far from being harsh.

    I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

    Hope this helps.

    okay thanks.
    When I say forward midrange I mean something like warm sound, my Dynaudio Evoke 50's are very transparent and detailed but the midrange is slightly recessed and I'm looking for an amplifier that's not too neutral or thin in sound, I look for an amp rather mid-forward sounding so it balances out the flat sound of the Dynaudio.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,584
    IMO Musical Fidelity are neutral....but I wouldn't call it thin. More like accurate. Maybe try to get a used unit so you can try and recoup your investment in case you don't like it.
    _________________________________________________
    ***\\\\\........................... My Audio Journey ............................./////***

    2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 45,754
    Alex00 wrote: »
    Hi, everyone I'm new here on the forum.
    I own Dyanudio Evoke 50 and Denafrips Ares II as DAC.
    I want a definitive MF amp to drive them and I am looking at the A308, A5.5, Nu-Vista M3, and M6si.
    Unfortunately, I've never heard them personally... I like transparent sound, deep tight bass, forward midrange, full bodied sound, no harshness or brightness.

    I'd go with M6si since it's the latest model but I read that some say that the new M line sounds different and worse than the old A lines. What does it mean?
    I need an opinion, thank you.

    There a Tri-Vista for sale here, stellar piece of kit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • Alex00
    Alex00 Posts: 5
    edited July 2020
    Ricardo wrote: »
    IMO Musical Fidelity are neutral....but I wouldn't call it thin. More like accurate. Maybe try to get a used unit so you can try and recoup your investment in case you don't like it.
    Yes man thanks for your opinion.
    I'm thinking of a second-hand A5cr pre + power, what do you think?
    Anybody know them? Do they sound better than A5 integrated?
  • Alex00
    Alex00 Posts: 5
    F1nut wrote: »
    Alex00 wrote: »
    Hi, everyone I'm new here on the forum.
    I own Dyanudio Evoke 50 and Denafrips Ares II as DAC.
    I want a definitive MF amp to drive them and I am looking at the A308, A5.5, Nu-Vista M3, and M6si.
    Unfortunately, I've never heard them personally... I like transparent sound, deep tight bass, forward midrange, full bodied sound, no harshness or brightness.

    I'd go with M6si since it's the latest model but I read that some say that the new M line sounds different and worse than the old A lines. What does it mean?
    I need an opinion, thank you.

    There a Tri-Vista for sale here, stellar piece of kit.

    Amazing amplifier but out of my budget, I' m thinking of an A5 cr pre + power at 1400 € both, do you know them?
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,321
    tube amp might be your answer for that midrange.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2, Gabriel Gold Reckoning
    Power Cables by: Argento Organic Reference, Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables

  • The A308 might come close, but I would look at a Naim Nait XS-2 or a Naim Supernait (V1) given what you say you like.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 14,430
    BindingPoster, why are you always responding to year old threads?
    Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 579
    BlueFox wrote: »
    BindingPoster, why are you always responding to year old threads?

    He's living in the past.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 1,482
    He has been trapped by the “langoliers”.
    If the telephone doesn't ring ......... it's me
    Harry / Marietta Georgia
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 5,895
    He is probably trying to up his post count so he can hit the Flea Market.
    Main 2-ch:
    Sony SS-M9; Amp: LSA Statement Integrated; VPI HW-19 Mk3/Sumiko Premier FT-3/Audio Technica AT15SA; Pass Labs DIY Pearl Phono; Sony SCD-C333ES SACD Changer; TEAC UD-301 DAC; Dell/WYSE 5010 (running Daphile); Sony ST-SA5ES Tuner; Nanotec Golden Strada speaker cables (SR+#79 Shotgun); Audioquest Coral interconnects
  • In my experience, it's never too late when it comes to upgrades. The OP may have upgraded since, but they may still be curious about where to go next.

    Not having seen a 'please respond by..', I figured it wouldn't do any harm.

    What might be the reason for your interest in the timing of my responses?

    BlueFox wrote: »
    BindingPoster, why are you always responding to year old threads?

  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 3,317
    BlueFox wrote: »
    BindingPoster, why are you always responding to year old threads?

    Don't mind them. Most here are guilty of resurrecting old posts. Some are timeless
    Cambridge Audio 851N Streamer/DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Belles 350A Reference modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables


    There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January.

    by Dr. Sardonicus
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!