Silver interconnects

if you wondered about silver cables in your system but always heard they were harsh and bright, take a look at these.
https://www.thesoundadvocate.com/2021/04/hapa-audio-analog-interconnects-quiescence-s-and-breathe-s/
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I've owned some high end speaker cables before that had a hybrid of fine gauge copper and silver for the top of the biwire and larger gauge copper for the low end.

I have a few sets of Kimber Hero and Kimber Silver Streak interconnects around that I only use once in a while. They sound roughly similar to me. I wouldn't call the Silver Streak cables bright although their sound is a bit more "open" than other cables I have. They were good on Polk LSi15s that had a fairly recessed top end.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Snake oil I tell ya!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I use silver phono cables in one rig and silver umbilical cords in another. Not bright at all.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I have a couple pair of silvers, been awahile since they were in use since I have broke down my rigs. In mt systems they worked best a source IC's VS from pre to amp IC's
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • audioluvr
    The price on these seem reasonable compared to good name brand silver / OCC IC's The softening of lower registers could have to do with the super fine litz wire they are using.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    audioluvr wrote: »
    The price on these seem reasonable compared to good name brand silver / OCC IC's The softening of lower registers could have to do with the super fine litz wire they are using.

when i was writing the review he came out the copper versions, they're on their way so i will see if copper makes the difference.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • There's very little difference and tons of projection when it comes to the material used for speaker cables. Distance and gauge have more impact.
  • marvda1
    There's very little difference and tons of projection when it comes to the material used for speaker cables. Distance and gauge have more impact.

these are interconnects.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    There's very little difference and tons of projection when it comes to the material used for speaker cables. Distance and gauge have more impact.

Ummmm.....NO!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    It's just physics. Silver is a better electrical conductor than Copper or Nickel which is what is common in most interconnects. If your buying Interconnects and thy are bright, than you have a crappy pair of interconnects that are possibly voiced by whoever made them.
    Silver cables are not bright.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I remember now that the Kimber Silver Streaks have two copper conductors and one silver. They use the same WBT RCA connectors, so there's really not much difference between them and the Hero RCA cables. Other than price and the Silver Streaks don't use techflex.
  • F1nut wrote: »

Ummmm.....NO!

Good point

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited April 2021
    I think the purity of the material, ie. lack of grain structures is the most important. Overall resistance/impedance is important (mainly speaker cables) but less so. Why don't they make audiophile cables out of aluminum, which has a pretty high conductivity? Rhetorical question/food for thought. I think Silver is available in UPOCC (Ultra Pure Ohno Continuous Cast) too, not just copper.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • marvda1
    JPS labs does use an aluminum, alloy in it's cables.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    Check out Grover Huffman Cables
    http://www.groverhuffman.com/
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    It would seem to me that aluminum would be more difficult to solder than copper, although one could use mechanical means to attach the connectors. I know aluminum was a poor choice in residential wiring because of creep, which shouldn't be a problem with low current interconnect cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Creep?
    Is that in reference to ohms and resistance?
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Creep?

No, aluminum expands and contracts more than copper when current going through it heats it up cause the mechanical fasteners to loosen over time. There were several house fires because of this when aluminum wire was allowed in residential construction.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    And the aluminum oxide has greater resistance causing more heat. That was a bad combination leading to arcing I believe.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    invalid wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Creep?

No, aluminum expands and contracts more than copper when current going through it heats it up cause the mechanical fasteners to loosen over time. There were several house fires because of this when aluminum wire was allowed in residential construction.

I remember that. I was actually working at a Furrows building materials in the mid 80's. For some unknown reason I always thought that it had something to do with the resistance, the resistance was building up after so many heat and cold cycles like you said and that caused fires. I remember having to point people to the proper outlets and switches and things like that because not all of them were copper and aluminum approved.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Yesterday I was a in a house where all the breakers were rated at 20 amp
    half were connected to CU and 1/2 to AL

The aluminum wire was 12 AWG & the CU wire was 14 AWG (all 15 amp circuits)

I hope they don't miss a Home Owners Insurance payment!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    I'm looking to replace my MIT Shotguns and WW cables.

Marvin,

I just got wind of this company. Jason Wong was so graciosos to extend his 20% Holiday discount another couple of days

So, I was wondering if it would be a step up Or a lateral move to go with Quiescence Silver (replacing MIT Shotgun S1) and adding the Aero USB (replacing the WW platinum Silver)

Thanks in advance

Happy New Year!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    edited December 2021
    Are you nuts!?!

Dibs on the Shotguns.

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    GlennDog wrote: »

Marvin,

I just got wind of this company. Jason Wong was so graciosos to extend his 20% Holiday discount another couple of days

So, I was wondering if it would be a step up Or a lateral move to go with Quiescence Silver (replacing MIT Shotgun S1) and adding the Aero USB (replacing the WW platinum Silver)

Thanks in advance
    Give them a try, he has areturn policy. besides no one cable(mit) wotks in all systems and to everyone's taste.
    if want a warmer sound try his copper cables.
    Happy New Year!

Puritan PSM156
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    GlennDog wrote: »

Marvin,

Thanks in advance

Happy New Year!
    I would also be interested in your MITs if you decide to sell....looking to upgrade to all Shotgun S1. Thanks
  • GlennDog
    Decided to wait for some ICs to pop up on the used mkt

But I am gonna spring for the Aer0 USB
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • audioluvr
    F1nut wrote: »
    Are you nuts!?!

Dibs on the Shotguns.

Boy, I'd have to agree here. Only dibs on the WW silver platinums! :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC