LSIM series vs Reserve

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,031
Hello all,
I never got to hear the LSIM series speakers as a system . I only got to hear the LSIM 703 book shelf speaker and I thought it was very good sounding. I wonder how they would stand up to the new Reserve series coming out in terms of pure sound quality.

The Reserve has a better Tweeter which is the same one used in the Legend Line. From what I learned it's a revamped model from the LSIM series with improvements. The Drivers are also improved with using the Legend models. So technically speaking they should out perform the LSIM speakers.
The LSIM however have a pretty nice cabinet. I like the Gloss Black Ebony I think it was called. It's damn nice.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Side question real quick - Has it been confirmed that the drivers and tweeters in the Reserve are the exact same as those used in the Legend? They do look like them.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    From the many reviews I've seen and heard online so far it appears to me that the Reserve and Legend speakers have a more open/sharper/tighter sound compared to the LSiM line. The LSiMs I have are the opposite of bright which is why I like them. I don't get the impression that the new lines are bright at all, just a bit more in that direction than the older speakers. Polk also got rid of the racetrack woofers in the bigger speakers and made some improvements in bass porting and midrange driver designs. Furniture grade cabinets are for the Legend line now.
  • mantis
    msg wrote: »
    Side question real quick - Has it been confirmed that the drivers and tweeters in the Reserve are the exact same as those used in the Legend? They do look like them.

Yes is has. If your interested you should watch this video, it's excellent and in the format of Product training. I miss going to these things.
    https://youtu.be/TxnCXJ6IK18
    Dan
  • mantis
    Some really good take aways from this video.

I'm real interested in exploring the entire line. The new X Port and Enhanced Power port is really interesting.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Emlyn wrote: »
    From the many reviews I've seen and heard online so far it appears to me that the Reserve and Legend speakers have a more open/sharper/tighter sound compared to the LSiM line. The LSiMs I have are the opposite of bright which is why I like them. I don't get the impression that the new lines are bright at all, just a bit more in that direction than the older speakers. Polk also got rid of the racetrack woofers in the bigger speakers and made some improvements in bass porting and midrange driver designs. Furniture grade cabinets are for the Legend line now.
    I get the decision to go with a Vinyl over a Veneer which saves cost but I just hope they don't look CHEAP. It's the ONLY thing so far I don't like about the line. This line is almost complete and more complete than the Legend and LSIM line was. Using Bi Polar surrounds today doesn't make much sense. It hasn't made sense since Dolby Pro Logic. Since Dolby Digital and on Mono Pole designed surrounds are where it's at. The new R350 Center Channel which is actually a L C R is the most intriguing speaker in the entire line. I'm damn near ready to pull the trigger on 5 of them.
    Dan
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    They aren't in stock anywhere yet that I see. Probably stuck at anchor off California in shipping containers...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Emlyn
    Music Direct is showing all of the Reserve lineup in stock, at least for the black finish, and ready to ship next day:

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/Polk-Audio-Reserve-R700-Tower-Speakers

Last I looked at Crutchfield they're still showing pre-order ship date unknown.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    mantis wrote: »

Yes is has. If your interested you should watch this video, it's excellent and in the format of Product training. I miss going to these things.
    https://youtu.be/TxnCXJ6IK18

I didn’t watch this video yet but one I watched said the cones were the same, not the driver.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Emlyn
    I have seen a couple of the Sound United chats where they make the point that they took the tweeters and mid bass drivers from the Legend line but the woofers are different. The use of the same drivers in both lines seems to be a point they are marketing the Reserve line on.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Unless you need them now, I'd wait a year for the shipping and inventories to mellow out. For me to get new speakers they would have to be much better sounding and looking than My 705's. Oh and they would need to come in at the same price point.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Emlyn
    mrloren wrote: »
    Unless you need them now, I'd wait a year for the shipping and inventories to mellow out. For me to get new speakers they would have to be much better sounding and looking than My 705's. Oh and they would need to come in at the same price point.

Even a couple of the guys from Polk on the chats are still using their LSiM 703s. The LSiMs didn't become obsolete. :)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Sean at Zero Fidelity did a review on one of the Reserve's and he likes them.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Just one? Couldn't have imaged very well.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    Just one? Couldn't have imaged very well.
    That's the thing with this new line, they imagine so well you only need one.

Dan
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    The 703, with the right gear behind them, is a very, very good speaker. Incredibly hard to beat at its current price.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden