This format is horrible

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Is anyone going to change this nasty white background ? Or do we have to wait for every single member to complain ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2021
    My background, FWIW, is grey, not white, @tonyb -- are you using a "device"?

@CarlJacobson_POLK while we're picking on the forum's format ;) -- there's something odd going on with post count.
    Take a look at this thread: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/193906/legend-l800-atmos-home-theater
    The OP @tjcinnamon has made numerous posts to his/their own thread, but his/their postcount still shows "1".
    Anyone in Vanilla-space know why that would be, and/or how to fix it?

Thanks!

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Carl, since you were just tagged in the above post, I thought I'd let you know about another CS complaint. The guy didn't put the "@" symbol before your name, so you're not going to get notified.

Here is a link to the post from Cmoore:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2640768/#Comment_2640768

I know it's not your job to deal with CS problems, and if we keep tagging you about CS complaints, you're going to get notifications daily. We're not really sure how to deal with the ongoing CS issues here on the forum or who to pass them on to.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    @CarlJacobson_POLK while we're picking on the forum's format .. why were you doing that? Every one liked the previous one.
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2021
    I don't think anyone liked the previous Vanilla morph of this forum, either. We'd accommodated ourselves to it -- and we'll accommodate to this version, too.

This version has some rough edges that need to be (i.e., that should be) addressed -- I think we're being good forum citizens/stewards by trying to catalog issues in some sort of discoverable/actionable way.

EDIT: As @CarlJacobson_POLK said, it might well be that the new Reserve Series (which, to me at least, looks like it could pretty darned cool in price/performance ratio) may bring a bolus of new members if the forum meets otherwise unmet needs for the Polk brand.

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    tonyb wrote: »
    Is anyone going to change this nasty white background ? Or do we have to wait for every single member to complain ?

My background is grey.
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Yeah, but someone may think the grey background is a little too grey now and the text isn't dark enough. :)

Scroll all the way to the bottom where the Vanilla bar is and that's white and how the pages looked at first.

It looks good to me on a computer though with the zoom setting up a little at 125 percent. In Chrome the zoom function remembers to work on this website and doesn't cause it to be the default on all websites. Doesn't look as good on an iPad or iPhone as it did before though because there's less information available for browsing cues like who posted most recently.
  • Hermitism
    There's a Background and there is a Body Container. The BC is the area where you write and read what others have written. That could be a little brighter to make the fine text easier to read. The spaces on the left and right which used to be occupied with a background picture is now a solid color. That could be a bit darker. Everything is the same color now. That text is just so small & fine. I bet this forum would look good if a got out my Acer Aspire with 800x600 resolution. The avatars for who is online now shows up in a vertical line, so I now have to scroll down the page to see which homies are online. They should go back to having them horizontally lined up.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Search function doesn't work
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Hermitism
    edited April 2021
    I have an older android tablet/chrome and for some reason it takes a LONG time for this forum to load. Loads right up on my desktop. No biggie, just strange. It never did that before the change over.

This is the same tablet that kept changing the spelling for cartain names. I finally found a setting to add contacts to auto-correct. I unchecked that sucker! Everything is right with the world now.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited April 2021
    Emlyn wrote: »
    It looks good to me on a computer though with the zoom setting up a little at 125 percent. In Chrome the zoom function remembers to work on this website and doesn't cause it to be the default on all websites. Doesn't look as good on an iPad or iPhone as it did before though because there's less information available for browsing cues like who posted most recently.
    Hermitism wrote: »
    ...The avatars for who is online now shows up in a vertical line, so I now have to scroll down the page to see which homies are online. They should go back to having them horizontally lined up.
    It actually depends on the windows width and zoom level. There actually may be no difference between the "mobile" website, and the "desktop" website (which can be requested by most browsers, even on a mobile device).
    • On an iPad, if you hold it in portrait mode, you are browsing the "mobile" website. No Most Recent poster column, and no information on the time (or date, when older than a day) of the last post. Quick Links are at the bottom of the screen, after the bright red New Discussion button.
    • Turn the iPad to landscape mode, and you are browsing the "desktop" website. This may depend on the size of your screen, and it certainly depends on the "text size" zoom level. The Most Recent post column is visible. Quick links are to the right of the list of threads.
    • Zooming the iPad with finger gestures on the screen will not change the format, but changing the text size in the URL bar will.
    • Similarly, on an iPhone, if you turn it to landscape mode, and zoom out far enough, it will display in "desktop" format.
    • On a desktop (using Safari), if you zoom in, it will switch to "mobile" display, with no column for Most Recent etc.
    • However, zooming with your mouse our touchpad will not switch to "mobile" display.
    • If the desktop window switches to "mobile" because you have zoomed too far in with Safari (using ⌘+) you can still get the "desktop" view back without zooming out (⌘-), with the column for Most Recent etc., by either ⓵ increasing the size of the window itself, ⓶ hiding the bookmarks/reading list columns on the left of the screen, or ⓷ changing the window to full screen.

(Note, Safari also remembers different zoom levels for different websites)

iPadOS 14 in landscape position, with no zoom:

stzuzf3ynkna.png
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2021
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Search function doesn't work

I am glad I saw this (even if only in retrospect). I just, umm, independently, empirically discovered that myself.

kfocbi4rcrtx.png

I figured either the search function (which wasn't great on the previous Vanilla morph of this forum, either) was Bjorked borked -- or it was offering an editorial comment on my search topic. :#

Either is distressing. ;)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch

• mhardy6647
    edited April 2021
    why, oh, why are the emoji now so... so... Brobdingnagian?
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Come now, @mhardy6647 ! Everyone knows that size and spearker cables don't matter! 😜
    Alea jacta est!
  • Hermitism
    edited April 2021
    Pictures should be left justified.

Page number background no longer matches.
    2hhimjl6cfc0.jpg
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    FInut wrote: »
    I've changed my mind. I'm really enjoying this new format. It just takes some getting used to. The rest of you should stop complaining and switch to using a computer.

Ha Ha well if Jesse has changed his mind and favors the changes than so do I 😁. The real Jesse that is.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    Besides what has been listed so far what seems to be the problem? :D
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited April 2021
    @CarlJacobson_POLK Do we have a dedicated discussion to needed fixes? I want to add in the desktop version how L A R G E the emoji's are. It's scary. Also when passing your mouse over "Recent Discussions" titles they disappear. That's really irritating. Finally the old version showed the avatar of the most recent poster of a discussion. Not any more. Thanks @F1nut for at least this discussion.

R
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the "spirited" commentary :)

Please note, the Polk Logo now takes you to the Polkaudio.com home page. If you happened to enjoy the Groundhog Day like experience that was previously provided by the logo, I've added a "Forum" link to the top-level NAV here as well. That will take you to the forum home page and you can click into an infinite loop to your heart's content.

Your other concerns are not being ignored, this was just a fix that was easy enough for even a marketing guy, so I went in and made the tweaks.

On a related note, the forum link has now been returned the bottom Nav on the Polkaudio.com site home page and will be added to the support page as well. Expect some new members soon. Please give them a warm welcome.

Thanks,

Carl

I, for one, appreciate the update and continued support you provide for the forum. By the way, on a completely unrelated note, I just entered earlier today to win the Polk soundbar. Just so you know....I thought I would throw it out there.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I, for one, appreciate the update and continued support you provide for the forum. By the way, on a completely unrelated note, I just entered earlier today to win the Polk soundbar. Just so you know....I thought I would throw it out there.

You got a little something brown on your nose... :D:D:D:D:D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    The text just needs to be a couple notches LARGER and Darker and it will be usable to me at least.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I wish they would go back to the square picture for our avatar versus the cropped circle picture.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Why are the "Older Messages" and "Newer Messages" in a PM hidden? I'd like to meet whomever the hell thought that was a good idea because I'd like to explain to them why they shouldn't have a job. Ridiculous!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Oh, Jesse...your sentiment that the wagging tail rules the dog is quite amusing. I would think that someone with your experience and acumen knows better.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    Some poor choices have been made in font colors.
    "We" lose the font when hovering over a post to click on as well -- same problem as the "newer"/"older" issue in the PMs.
    The latter problem is more serious, since the links are invisible until accessed/stumbled upon!

It does need to be fixed.

jog8v32d9u83.png
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2021
    b8c3ud7wknhw.png

EDIT: No, check that. It's not just essentially invisible, it is invisible! :/

z26zp4herq93.png

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    It's strange how zooming in and out with Firefox on desktop makes the member avatars and dates appear/disappear in a list of Threads.

Communication wise, I have a strange feeling when I read posts that everything is disjointed and we are not really talking with each other. Maybe it will get better when we are used to the "new".

More communication, it's great to see normal comments by CarlJacobson_POLK and his taking an interest in things and responding to particular issues. It has felt like we were all alone in the universe in the past.

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited April 2021
    Just imagine the customers coming here with problems. Being unfamiliar with the website and getting very very frustrated trying to navigate this colossal mess. Oh then "icing on the cake" the customer service phones, email etc. that in a nutshell is the definition of customer UNFRIENDLY....
    ARE YOU LISTENING POLK/SOUND UNITED