Threads

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,704
edited March 2021 in The Clubhouse
Who started the thread and when? Who posted last and when? Where's the option to switch between desk and mobile?
Come on Polk this format is ridiculous.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    I see the name and times on my laptop using firefox. F1nut started this thread at 9:19 and edited it at 9:21. I believe the edit time is new.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2021
    No, like this proper user friendly format.
    oxiam7jtf2hu.png

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Compare the above to this seriously lacking example.
    ly23kjs2yd6f.png

President of Club Polk

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    edited March 2021
    Here is what I see using Firefox on my desktop.

dn2apce0qor8.png

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • F1nut
    Hmmm.....Houston we have even more problems than originally seen.

Why would that show up via Firefox and not via Chrome or whatever the hell I'm using?

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I'm using Chrome on my iPad, and the display looks like what F1nut posted.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited March 2021
    I’m using Firefox and I see no names and no dates on Dell computer.
    Same for Pad with Safari.

Just plain plain plain.

Odd,
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited March 2021
    Odd. I'm seeing the version that has all the info on both my computer (Firefox) and on my iPhone (using both Firefox and Safari)

Attached screenshot with Safari
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    zthoesol73su.png
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited March 2021
    Thank you Carl. Congratulations on the unveiling of the new loudspeaker line (albeit while the forum was down*), and good luck to those who will be tweaking/improving/reinstating the forum's functionality!

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    The differences in what we are seeing may because some are using a mobile version and others are using a desktop version of the software. I don't see a way to change from one version to another. A lot of bugs in this new design and don't see anyone in authority making comments about what will be done about it. Sad. Just sad.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Hi everyone,

This wasn't EXACTLY how I wanted to introduce myself, but hi, I'm Carl. the new Director of Brand Marketing at Polk. I see that you've noticed the update to the forum (I mean, how could you miss it). We had to take the forum offline for awhile for some updates and we are still working out the kinks in bringing it back online. We would really appreciate it, if you could let us know if experience any eratic behaviour, or notice any missing functionality that you appreciated from the old forum (like has already been mentioned on this thread).

Personally, I am looking forward to getting to know you and to hear about your experience with our products.

Thanks,

Carl

Welcome to the zoo Carl. :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    TennMan wrote: »
    The differences in what we are seeing may because some are using a mobile version and others are using a desktop version of the software. I don't see a way to change from one version to another. A lot of bugs in this new design and don't see anyone in authority making comments about what will be done about it. Sad. Just sad.

Well, Carl's here now. He appears to be in an appropriate position to see the commentary & catalyze response to it.

I don't envy any website's having to worry, all of the time, about two platforms ("desktop" vs. mobile/device) -- but it's 2021 and so it be.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Hi everyone,

This wasn't EXACTLY how I wanted to introduce myself, but hi, I'm Carl. the new Director of Brand Marketing at Polk. I see that you've noticed the update to the forum (I mean, how could you miss it). We had to take the forum offline for awhile for some updates and we are still working out the kinks in bringing it back online. We would really appreciate it if you could let us know if experience any erratic behavior, or notice any missing functionality that you appreciated from the old forum (like has already been mentioned on this thread).

Personally, I am looking forward to getting to know you and hearing about your experience with our products.

Thanks,

Carl
    Hello, and welcome. Will you be serving as moderator to the forum as well, or will someone else be taking over that duty? Will you be participating in the forum? Polk employees used to interact on the forum long ago, but now the only interaction we have with the company is with a forum moderator.

I'm someone that feels a company is only as good as it's customer service. There are certain companies that are known for their exceptional customer service... S&W, Midway USA, PS Audio, Douglas Connection. Polk used to be one of those brands. Now, all we seem to see on the forum are customers that can't reach CS, they don't answer the phones, they don't return emails. This started long before Covid. As Director of Brand Marketing, advertising a company that has a strong customer service support team goes a long way in marketing a company. The forum tries to help out the best we can when it comes to installation, setup issues and making suggestions for good component matching, but subwoofer and soundbar issues/malfunctions are things that are better dealt with through CS. There are a lot of new customers that join here just to complain about the CS department.

Will someone from Vanilla be joining the forum to discuss changes and tweaks to the current state of the forum? Or should all suggestions go through you? Or should any concerns/suggestions be posted in this thread?
  • Hermitism
    Suggestions:

In the top right you have the "Quick Links". It needs to be anchored so you always have access to those links and also so when you scroll down, the right side of the page isn't being wasted.

Background is too bright.

You've got some links that are almost the same color as the background. They are almost invisible.

Signature text is too large.

Background... too bright.

Recent Discussions: The spacing is too large between the thread titles. imo

When making a comment, the "Preview" option isn't working.

Background is still too bright.

A member was banned without warning. You have to give out warnings, especially when you are not accustomed to an individual's style of humor.

That background!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Welcome, Carl! The forum is a very valuable asset. Folks, please remember to be courteous with your suggestions/responses.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    Carl, it is a bit less bright now and that's good, but there is still a problem where, when you hover your mouse over items that are links, ie. you get the cursor changing from arrow to a hand, they get so light they disappear against the background. Would be better if they got darker, not lighter. Sorry if this was mentioned but I wanted to stress it again.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Hermitism
    Links are becoming much easier to see:

jpyxryi1raet.jpg
  • Hermitism
    Something Scott brought up. Did you guys prefer having uploaded pics being left justified like the older forum did?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I want Dark Mode. This style of forum is basically the same as many others I visit. They all have Dark Mode and look MUCH better then this. Whoever designed this did a pretty bad job.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Hermitism
    "Older Messages" link in private messages is still invisible. But it's there.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I still have to sign in every time i visit on the mobile app, even after checking the box to keep me signed in.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I haven’t had the sign in problem on my iPhone, iPad, or macbook
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Something Scott brought up. Did you guys prefer having uploaded pics being left justified like the older forum did?

For me, the pics are fine now, as long as they aren't cropped or reduced in size.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    F1nut wrote: »
    Who started the thread and when? Who posted last and when? Where's the option to switch between desk and mobile?
    I get where you're coming from Jesse, but it was the weekend too B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    On the older version of Vanilla, they made the text area narrow to show more of a jpg background. Now that a picture background had been eliminated, how about widening the text area and get rid of the empty space on the sides. It looks great on a tablet in desktop mode, but on a pc, there is so much blank space (highlighted in green in attachment).

m07vi5vjzyry.jpg
  • Hermitism
    msg wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    I get where you're coming from Jesse, but it was the weekend too B)
    You have to be patient with the old people, Scott. Jesse doesn't remember starting the thread or when he started it.