RD0 Billet Faceplate Upgrade

Options

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,044
    Options
    Doing some 2 minute research, the materials listed above, pva, etc are safe on a laser. As long as the material does not have chlorine in its make up I should be OK to put it on the laser
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I was just eggin' you on in a good way. If you find a suitable material and make them for the billet plates, they'll fit any other standard bezel as well. Keep up the good work. Always fun to see what you create here.
    Oh and I'll take 40ea and pass them on in my next batch of these plates.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Trey, how about posting a picture of that laser. I have no concept of how it works.

Thanks
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    Options
    This picture from some NOS open box tweeters on eBay really shows how thin the gaskets are supposed to be. I'd like to ask the seller how the gaskets got compression set if they are NOS but maybe Polk supplied them that way?

11htxah3df6z.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,044
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @BlueBirdMusic send me your address

piaglgpj9yjm.jpg

o7jtandeljzj.jpg

rc30d4ppjtz4.jpg

y124p5e66cci.jpg
    Post edited by VR3 on
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • hytekrednek
    hytekrednek Posts: 125
    Options
    I would love a set of plates for my 2.3tl's and maybe for my sda crs shop speakers. This is some great and creative work. Looks sexy and is an upgrade in sound ! Sign me up please.
  • hytekrednek
    hytekrednek Posts: 125
    Options
    I got some billet plates! I installed these 4 in my sda crs pair. Looks great and sounds even better. I have 6 more to install in my 2.3tl pair soon. These plates are flawless. Very well machined, with a nice brushed finish om the faces.

ajm5yjwpzu0y.jpg
    bezeq4tgsyqn.jpg
  • mikebisch
    mikebisch Posts: 10
    Options
    Are these plates for sale somewhere?
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    mikebisch wrote: »
    Are these plates for sale somewhere?

Not sure if he's still offering them but head over to https://audiomilitia.proboards.com/board/29/mods-tweaks. Quick look on the linked topic and I don't see a specific thread for them but hit up user xschop.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • xschop
    Options
    I'm putting out a feeler for those wanting a set of these RD0194/8 Billet plates. I will be machining only one batch this year due to materials cost/availability, so PM with what you need. I will also price them at $45 ea. shipped, US-48 ONLY. I will ship to a US forwarding address as well.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,910
    Options
  • xschop
    Options
    I'll order pre-cut plates next week after I get a tally and start the following weekend on them.

If someone sends me a set of 3.5" x 5.0" x 0.25" thick brass plates, I'll machine them at the same cost and they'll have the same fine-brushed finish when done.
  • Zosimo
    Zosimo Posts: 13
    Options
    Huge thank you to xschop for creating another batch. Can't wait to get my set. This has also coincided with a complete overhaul of my much beloved Monitor 12s: new crossovers, spikes, internal cables, and now also the billet faceplates.Thanks again.
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Options
    Pm sent
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• xschop
    Options
    Last call. I'll be placing materials order tomorrow.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    These are beautifully made. Get'em while you can.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Options
    Agreed, they are incredible looking, especially when you have them in your hands..
  • xschop
    Options
    Lathe operation and magnet countersinks to go.

e9wqknzfqn26.jpg

bvfc6gpv07e9.jpg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
  • xschop
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I'm making 8 extra for the stragglers that come along....

9t2s0nu008cu.jpg
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I missed this awesome thread this month!

The OP did a great job documenting. Kudos.

Bookmarked for the mod doc I'm working on =)
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • xschop
    edited March 2022
    Options
    The original thread is in the DIY section. Other members contributed to the design goal inputs.
    I'll look forward to your docu-mods. Many great ones here that have been well vetted.
    Epic builds here that have been well- executed. Toolfan's, Ptrooper's, JayCee's, 1.2's are case examples. Many other ingenuitive projects to mention as well.
  • xschop
    Options
    I've contacted everyone that has requested a set.
    Last one off the turntable. I have 8 still available till next year unless oil reaches $150 bbl, then I make no promises lol.

2f2et54p2tgm.jpg
  • xschop
    Options
    All RDO plates have shipped. I Still have 8ea left.
    PM if interested in a set.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    These Billet face plates are awesome, I did some extra polishing on mine to get ready for Anodizing, will send them out tomorrow.

I also have some delrin gaskets being made for them as well, should have them tomorrow..

https://youtu.be/jNuRkedx3lU

k0koyn3wfrds.jpeg
    9fm2qidwrq7d.jpeg
    qjoda6h3a1re.jpeg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Dang man I need one of those gizmos, in like 6mo.
    Nice job.
    What does anodizing cost in your neck of the woods?
    Putting serious thoughts anodizing my plates.
  • xschop
    Options
    Crafty! I have to make one of those so I can machine a set of circular RDO plates to go in my last set of billet 5Jr's.

Looking forward to your anodized plates installed and listening impressions Larry.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Dang man I need one of those gizmos, in like 6mo.
    Nice job.
    What does anodizing cost in your neck of the woods?
    Putting serious thoughts anodizing my plates.

$135 a lot for parts this size, it’s well worth it to have them anodized IMO, even if you just do clear anodize.

I can just mail this one to use when you are ready..