Outdoor tv in the cold?!?

So first world problems...I have a tv and speakers on my covered patio. It’s 13 right now and supposed to get down to 6 tonight. Will the tv be ok? Anything I can do? I have a cover but it’s pretty thin vinyl. TIA...
Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Good question!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I love in effing central texas! It gets to 105 in the summer! WTH is going on?!?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Thanks! I unplugged it and threw and couple towels over it to keep it a bit warmer. Luckily the tv is in the corner near the house as protected from the elements as it can get...fingers crossed!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I always unplug mine when it’s going to get below freezing. Of course, below freezing here usually means upper 20’s, not single digits. I hope my TV survives this cold spell since I just bought it in the fall.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I say leave it on, and set it to this on repeat. It'll probably help all of TX, in fact.

https://youtu.be/MPY_EuvimH0
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Last I knew, electronics liked the cold.

I’m confused. Is it a specific outdoor tv designed for the elements or a standard tv?

Either way, if you’re concerned, don’t turn it on until the dry heat can remove any potential moisture, if any actually occurred.

My guess is it will be perfectly fine.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited February 2021
    Mines plugged in and I’m not going to unplug it. To damn cold to go out. Weatherbug says it will be 1 degree (Fort Worth) at 7am. We will see what happens.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • PSOVLSK
    Mine is a standard TV. I've had one for several years now and have never had an issue, but as I said, freezing has never been for a week straight with lows near 0. Also, this TV is away from the house and not nearly as protected from the elements as at my two previous houses.

Current TV is a cheap 43” from Wal-Mart, but I really like it. I have YouTube TV, so a smart TV makes it really nice. With my previous two setups I had DirectTV so hookup was a bit more challenging.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    tratliff wrote: »
    Mines plugged in and I’m not going to unplug it. To damn cold to go out. Weatherbug says it will be 1 degree (Fort Worth) at 7am. We will see what happens.

a few shots of that bourbon and you'll go out in your underwear :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited February 2021
    marvda1 wrote: »
    a few shots of that bourbon and you'll go out in your underwear :D

Funny you say that Marvin. Only went out twice last night in my underwear. Well, only into the garage. We lost power a couple of times and this garage door alarm control we have starts beeping and has to be reset. With the power outages and the beeping, continuous sleep didn’t happen.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • rooftop59
    msg wrote: »
    I say leave it on, and set it to this on repeat. It'll probably help all of TX, in fact.

https://youtu.be/MPY_EuvimH0

Thanks Scott. I can always rely on you!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Mine is a standard TV. I've had one for several years now and have never had an issue, but as I said, freezing has never been for a week straight with lows near 0. Also, this TV is away from the house and not nearly as protected from the elements as at my two previous houses.

Current TV is a cheap 43” from Wal-Mart, but I really like it. I have YouTube TV, so a smart TV makes it really nice. With my previous two setups I had DirectTV so hookup was a bit more challenging.

Mine is also just a regular tv, but a 49 inch Samsung 4K smart TV, which was my main tv before we moved to this house. I would be really bummed if it goes out!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Most regular "indoor" LCD TV sets are only recommended by manufacturers to be used down to about 50 degrees. That may be too conservative because of warranty claims, but does give an indication that LCD TV sets aren't really designed to be operated outdoors in climates where it freezes. Of course that doesn't mean people don't. Bugs also like them and they aren't sealed for that. I wouldn't recommend keeping one plugged in outdoors if it's going to go below freezing. Condensation and freeze/thaw cycles are the enemy. It should be fine if it's unplugged until it gets warmer again and stays above freezing overnight.

There's a company called Sunbrite that makes outdoor TVs that can be operated down to well below 0 degrees fahrenheit.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    What about vehicles with factory or after market LCD navigation or entertainment screens that have to be left outdoors, sometimes in below freezing conditions? My Garmin's have been below zero for several hours many times and still operate. It seems moisture may be the bigger issue more than the cold. I don't really know. But a typical LCD TV made for indoor use may be made different, too delicate for the cold and wet? -16 F here this morning. They even canceled trash pickup :s
  • Emlyn
    The Sunbrite TVs and other gear designed for outdoor use or in vehicles is simply weatherized/sealed against the elements, condensation, bugs, etc.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    Thanks Scott. I can always rely on you!
    Haha, you're welcome Paul.
    I just figured you had some good feedback on this already.

On a more serious note, I presume this tv is mounted on such a stand/bracket that is not one of those "hook over" types that you could simply unplug and lift off to bring inside?

Jealous (in a good inspired way) of all you guys with these fun outdoor patios. Same of you guys in FLA with your covered swimming pools. Bastidges. In Virginia Beach, even in good weather, I'm not sure how long a tv would last outside. It gets so humid here in the warmer months. A covered space does help protect against dew, but still.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    Yea, mine is hanging/mounted from the second story deck (very first world problems lol) and it’s pretty high up and would be difficult to get down. I think it will be okay as it’s right up against the house and pretty protected from the elements. It’s just 6 degrees outside lol...

My pool has the cover on it, and the pump is running 24/7. The pump is a bit older, I just hope it holds out!!! Like Paul said, we’re just not used to this crap in Texas. Maybe a day or two just below freezing, but nothing like this!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Emlyn
    I would also keep an eye on plumbing for freeze ups, especially hose bibs. Houses aren’t always built for that level of cold. Texas plumbers probably going to be busy this week!
  • rooftop59
    My university just shut down for the day because of power outages. We were supposed to the remote learning/teleworking for the day, but too many people can’t...it’s the apocalypse y’all...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Pffft it's 1° here with 20mph winds so it's minus brass monkey degrees out there. I've shoveled my driveway twice so far this morning. Waiting for 3 more inches of snow today of course it's very hard to tell if it's snowing with all the drifting snow blowing everywhere.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I would also keep an eye on plumbing for freeze ups, especially hose bibs. Houses aren’t always built for that level of cold. Texas plumbers probably going to be busy this week!

Plumbers by my neck of the woods were already busier than shite because of all the home repairs being done while many were and still are on lock down.

I would suggest getting a grasp on availability in your area by calling a few and see what their work loads look like. Busted pipes in areas not usually experiencing this kind of cold is a no brainer, gonna happen.

LCD screens, the few outside screens in my area , the people usually bring them in for the winter. Consistent freezing cold usually cracks the screens. Now outdoor speakers, they handle it like a champ for some reason.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    Eff tony, thanks for the info.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • We have a tv in our breezeway. No heat. It stays out there all year. No issues once the weather warms up. It’s been out there about 5 years.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    FYI ...

My patio TV survived the Dallas Tx snowmageddon .... almost a week of below freezing temps and many days with a high in the teens - low was -2 F ....

Still works !

Been outside for years .....

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • rooftop59
    gyosa wrote: »
    FYI ...

My patio TV survived the Dallas Tx snowmageddon .... almost a week of below freezing temps and many days with a high in the teens - low was -2 F ....

Still works !

Been outside for years .....

Bk

Good to know! I plugged everything back in and the receiver and speakers are working, but I haven’t turned the TV on yet. Probably will this weekend.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Well we watched some college basketball outside this weekend, no problems! Whew...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • PSOVLSK
    edited March 2021
    Turned mine on today with no issues.