What is missing from many 2 channel systems.

Options

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,425
    Options
    Thanks Rich, that would be interesting information to gather.

And you conduct with the mic from/near the listening position, I presume?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    My problem with adding a subwoofer via rca jacks is that I have never heard a system where it didn't take away from the dynamics and spatial imaging of the mains.

Now running a subwoofer via speaker line level may fix that problem but the list of subs that still offer it are slim
    I'm having a hard time with that. RCA jacks is your line level signal. It's exactly what your amps get. A sub amp is now getting exactly what your main amp is getting. I don't see how it possibly in any way can take away from the main channels.
    Can you explain your findings more in detail?
    Also Speaker wire is a worse connection. I know what REL says but I think they are wrong. Consider this , in order for a speaker level signal can go to a subwoofer, it first starts out as a line level signal, the very signal you think takes away from the system when it's sent to a subwoofer. Then after it's line level an amp has to convert that signal to a speaker level signal with is higher current. Then that signal has to go to the subwoofer where it gets converted back into line level then back to speaker level so the actually driver in the subwoofer can play the signal. This my friend is where what your describing can happen on a very small level.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    On most 2 channel preamps, the second set of outputs used for a subwoofer connection is a parallel connection to the main outs. Splitting this signal, in my experience, is detrimental to the overall sound quality of the system.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Interesting conversation.

I do agree, the room tends to wreak havoc.

I have also attempted to install subs into the 2 channel system. I have thought about going RELs, but I have not been completely convinced to go REL. Currently, I am experimenting with JL Fathom 113v2 duals... after running room correct, it sounds... almost unnoticeable which is exactly how you want it. I have to still work on the LP crossover point, I would probably need the JL CR1 to complete the integration.

If my Velodyne DD10 plus's ever go bad and I can't get them fixed, I'm gonna go JL. The Fathom's are stupid good man. My god they blend into a system just as you described. They just become part of the system, not a sub bass system working with the system. I may have to say that JL audio subs might just be the very best in the business. The DD series from Velodyne is a strong competitor but I think you can swap them out for JL and not miss a beat.
    Dan
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Options
    On most 2 channel preamps, the second set of outputs used for a subwoofer connection is a parallel connection to the main outs. Splitting this signal, in my experience, is detrimental to the overall sound quality of the system.

I agree, which is why I prefer to run speaker level so that my sub sees the same signal from my amps output as my speakers do.
  • mantis
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Lets look at a more detailed chart. I suggest to folks that they consult a chart to see what they are listening to and do a room frequency sweep. You are either fine or missing something.

I listen to music at times that goes well below 40Hz and employed subs to augment those frequencies. I sure enjoy hearing and feeling more than a faint hint of those frequencies.

f3lzfynzwq4w.png

Awesome chart. It's really nice for people to see where things land. Most people have no idea what lives where and this chart is a very nice way to check on that.

Thanks man.
    Dan
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    I tried the line level and high level connections with my various Velodyne subs. They always integrate and therefore sound better with the high level method.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    My problem with adding a subwoofer via rca jacks is that I have never heard a system where it didn't take away from the dynamics and spatial imaging of the mains.

Now running a subwoofer via speaker line level may fix that problem but the list of subs that still offer it are slim
    I'm having a hard time with that. RCA jacks is your line level signal. It's exactly what your amps get. A sub amp is now getting exactly what your main amp is getting. I don't see how it possibly in any way can take away from the main channels.
    Can you explain your findings more in detail?
    Also Speaker wire is a worse connection. I know what REL says but I think they are wrong. Consider this , in order for a speaker level signal can go to a subwoofer, it first starts out as a line level signal, the very signal you think takes away from the system when it's sent to a subwoofer. Then after it's line level an amp has to convert that signal to a speaker level signal with is higher current. Then that signal has to go to the subwoofer where it gets converted back into line level then back to speaker level so the actually driver in the subwoofer can play the signal. This my friend is where what your describing can happen on a very small level.

Using high level means the sub gets the sound signature of the power amp, which is why the sub integrates better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,180
    edited March 2021
    Options
    ^^Yes and I was certainly surprised to see how high the fundamental notes of pipe organs can go! Almost twice as high as a piccolo which is around 4kHz. Surprised too that piano can go as high as 4.5kHz in the white area and around 15kHz in the gray area.

On the low end, I have read that certain pipe organs can actually go as low as 8 Hz and that a Bosendorfer piano can go as low as 21.8 Hz (F0) and certain models as low as 16.3 Hz (C0).
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,425
    Options
    You guys with high/speaker level sub integration - what kind of cables do you use? Same as out from the sub to your speakers?
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2021
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    You guys with high/speaker level sub integration - what kind of cables do you use? Same as out from the sub to your speakers?

I don't nor can I run speaker cables from the sub to the speakers. For the speaker cables from the amp to the sub I do use the same brand of cables as I run from the amp to the speakers.

President of Club Polk

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options

I am using the stock cables that my subs came with. I have talked with Doug about building me some Furutech Alphas that would match my speaker cables but I have not done that yet.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I would have to assume that with a powered subwoofer, gauge requirements would be lessened but I personally feel it is still important to use high purity copper, preferably OCC. I wouldn't think fine multistrands would be of any particular advantage due to the low frequencies. I think go with as few strands as possible without it being too stiff, to meet the desired AWG requirement due to skin effect not being an issue.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    Options
    I've had equal success with both line level & hi-level. I couldn't detect any difference in sound. Consider me lucky I guess... plus the line level was much easier to work with in my set up.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    f3lzfynzwq4w.png

What pretty colors those are!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    f3lzfynzwq4w.png

True, but what are the black extensions on some instruments supposed to mean?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2021
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »
    f3lzfynzwq4w.png

True, but what are the black extensions on some instruments supposed to mean?

I found an interactive version with a legend. The black bars on the low side are "Low Fundamentals" and the ones on the high end are "Breath/Blow/Air". That's all I got lol.

https://alexiy.nl/eq/

Edit - If you click on the Equal Loudness Contour and full screen it, it is pretty interesting to see that the human ear is most sensitive right around where a baby's cry is in frequency. Interesting.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited March 2021
    Options

And you conduct with the mic from/near the listening position, I presume?

That is correct. Just an example regarding placement of speakers/subs. When folks pop over to listen to my system, I play something real low and have them get up from listening position and walk toward the center of the room. The low bass slowly disappears and reappears as you near the opposite wall.

Best placement for my subs is against wall between and within a foot of the speakers. I have tried all over the room to get the best results. Placement failures mean you get closer to what works. You just have to document everything you do so you don't repeat mistakes.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options

I found an interactive version with a legend. The black bars on the low side are "Low Fundamentals" and the ones on the high end are "Breath/Blow/Air". That's all I got lol.

https://alexiy.nl/eq/

It gets complicated and I don't pretend to understand it all. With low fundamentals, think harmonics..

"In music, the fundamental is the musical pitch of a note that is perceived as the lowest partial present. The fundamental may be created by vibration over the full length of a string or air column, or a higher harmonic chosen by the player. The fundamental is one of the harmonics."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_frequency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_(music)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I understand fundamentals and harmonics, which are multiples of the fundamental and are what are responsible for the different timbres (audible quality) of different instruments that may be playing the same note.

But are lower harmonics really a thing? Just asking.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Options
    I added a Velodyne 8" sub to my 2.3TLs using high level inputs with the same speaker cable. Took a while to dial it in but it integrated with great results. Never took any measurements just used my ears.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    I added a Velodyne 8" sub to my 2.3TLs using high level inputs with the same speaker cable. Took a while to dial it in but it integrated with great results. Never took any measurements just used my ears.

I thought the 2.3tl's went down really low already, what do you gain with a sub?
  • VR3
    Options
    This rough test of my in room response at the seating position.

Ignore the huge dip in the upper frequencies, for some odd reason the midrange test tone ends before the high frequency test tone begins.

I marked 30hz and 20hz on the chart for reference. I just don't see how a subwoofer would help me unless I just wanted a bass heavy sound, which I totally get people like. Almost every audio meet I go to I am turning off subwoofers.

mfu58v9p0kjo.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • invalid
    Options
    This rough test of my in room response at the seating position.

Ignore the huge dip in the upper frequencies, for some odd reason the midrange test tone ends before the high frequency test tone begins.

I marked 30hz and 20hz on the chart for reference. I just don't see how a subwoofer would help me unless I just wanted a bass heavy sound, which I totally get people like. Almost every audio meet I go to I am turning off subwoofers.

mfu58v9p0kjo.jpg

I wonder how a rotary subwoofer would work with the big sda's for movies with low bass? I don't think music needs all that bass, it takes away from the rest of the music.
  • VR3
    Options
    I don't run the infinite baffle for music, would be way overkill and a little slow.

For movies... It is no contest man, deepest, most effortless bass dollar for dollar!

I will have to do a sweep of that system some day but I only use the HT 10% of the time
  • F1nut
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

I thought the 2.3tl's went down really low already, what do you gain with a sub?

They do. I thought about adding subs to mine, but anyone who has heard my rig can tell you there's no point.

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »

They do. I thought about adding subs to mine, but anyone who has heard my rig can tell you there's no point.

I own the 2a's and they even dig deep, so I thought the 2.3tl's would dig even deeper.
  • VR3
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most of the sda tower models can do 30hz with authority, especially modded
  • invalid
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most of the sda tower models can do 30hz with authority, especially mods

I do believe some people don't get the bass performance from them if they don't use a top quality amplifier.
  • VR3
    Options
    Also, resealing the enclosure would go a long way. Having a good amp for any 2 channel is a must!