Revox A77 restoration

Comments

• Here's a photo of the brake mounting plate with actuating arms attached. These arms control the two stainless steel bands that go around the brake hubs.

ggnlj8r1c5j8.jpg
  • Here's a photo of the brake solenoid attached to the main actuating arm on the other side of the mounting plate.

ausholvzeqjw.jpg
  • With the brake mounting plate attached to the transport frame. Now to work on the two brake hubs and the associated hardware.

p3t9auzvz2c0.jpg
  • This a photo of the two brake drums and the associated washers and fastening nut. I was able to soak the cloth fabric on the two drums and wash with soapy water and restore the material.

5wvv7zc4lm7x.jpg
  • DRUM BRAKES?!? :o
    What?
    No disc brakes????? ;):D
    Good stuff Kenneth
  • Here's a photo of a really nice component offered on eBay, replacement reel platters. They are extremely well made and come with all the necessary hardware.

c5s7g02owaev.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2021
    After mounting the brake drums and the revolution counter, which is connected by a rubber belt and the lower panel. It took a while to clean up the panel mounting hardware, getting off rust and corrosion, After cleaning one of the brake bands for a while I decided that they were too worn and had some kinks, so I've ordered a brake overhaul kit from Nagravox in Australia. It may take a few weeks to get, so I'll come back to that when it arrives.

gh3vjqjlvi03.jpg
  • Yeah make sure you bleed those brakes as well and get all of the air out of the brake line.............................................Oh wait are we talking about car brake or Revox brakes????????
  • Here is a photo of one of the more complex mechanical subcomponents of the deck, this is a single switch that does several things. It selects the playing speed, reel size and the record and playback EQ settings. It uses a shaft with a rotary cam that turns switches on and off to set the desired speed and reel size.

qxg069hvc0fn.jpg
  • Here's a photo of the switch mechanism all put back together, plenty of cleaning and some painting to get rid of the accumulated grime and partial rust.

sivxv0t8wapq.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    You've got serious skills. ;)

I'm impressed. B)

Love the detailed close-up pics.

I have yet to open a cheap Nakamichi cassette deck that doesn't work. :s

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M wrote: »
    You've got serious skills. ;)

I'm impressed. B)

Love the detailed close-up pics.

@Tony M Maybe we can sucke....................I mean TALK Ken into doing our Naks??
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    Mine lurks in the dark. Waiting for a rebuild.

apql4q4gruqj.jpeg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Thanks, @TonyM I've been trying to learn more about the manual functions of this camera, working to maximize depth of field and clarity.
    Anybody who does really good work with cassette decks, @honestaquarian has my admiration. The transport mechanisms are so complex and interwoven, to get to one part requires removing lots of layers. More like clock repairing.
    @ALL212 that is a Dolby equipped deck as I'm sure you're aware. Really nice! One of the things I've thought about doing to this deck I'm working on is to add Dolby.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited February 2021
    One of the things I've thought about doing to this deck I'm working on is to add Dolby.

CP...."Wow, Ken. You have skills". Ken replies...."I can add Dolby". Maybe throw in some DBX for good measure? Because you can? I need a neighbor as talented as you. I'm tired of talking fertilizer and grass seed in our yards.

Can't say Dolby without this...
    https://youtu.be/7sz5OrACPn8
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Here is a photo of the selector switch after being installed in the frame.

bk4yuamqrz0b.jpg
  • This is a particularly difficult part to restore, the headblock assembly which contains the three heads, the two tape guides, the tension arm and the pre-capstan guide. All of these have to remain in perfect alignment. This means not much disassembly is possible so cleaning and polishing have to be done carefully.

dq9il41bblkr.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    When this thing is done you'll have about $1,500,000 in labor into it!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    audioluvr wrote: »

If it was me I'd also have an Ess ton of leftover parts...
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Tony M wrote: »

No such thing as a cheap Nakamichi >:)
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044

Or an unmeasurable amount of satisfaction and joy.

Lovely stuff Ken. Just lovely.

• Here's a photo of the head block assembly installed on the frame, it's starting to look like an A77 now. The installation is a little tricky, the same four bolts that attach the capstan motor are used for the head block. But, supporting the motor from the bottom lets the holes get lined up.

81i72bpuiyqt.jpg
  • One of the changes I want to make to the transport is to convert the fixed right hand tape guide to a rotating version. To do this I will use the same ball bearing arrangement that is used in the left hand tape guide. This photo shows the two brass threaded openings that the tape guides will go into.

2k0z4o5co5ad.jpg
  • ALL212
    SIR! (Someone told me to be nice...the struggle continues)

I am no where near your level of competence on work like this but would you entertain a question or two?

My take up side can’t handle the end of a 10” reel - wows and flutters very bad. 10w 30? :o JK... easy fix?

Biggest (easiest) bang for the buck upgrades on these decks?

Thanks
    Aaron
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Hi Aaron,
    A few questions. Is this an A77 deck you have? When you hear the speed errors is this on a tape you've made on this deck or on another machine? Does it sound like the playing speed is getting slower and then speeds up? If you gently push up on the pinch roller does the wow and flutter change? Is the entire tape path (tension arm, tape guides, heads, capstan and roller) completely clean?
  • ALL212
    I’ll get the easy answers to you now.

Yes, my A77.
    Tapes were made 100 years ago on an Akai GX635. That has gone the way of the dodo some time ago (miss that deck... :( )

I’ll try the mechanical stuff tomorrow.

Sound is good until about 1/2 inch (or so)of tape shows on the supply side. Speed variations get worse the closer to the end.

Reverse tape and it sounds fine - until the end.

CLEAN? We don’ need no stinkin clean!!
    Ya, I’ll check that. :#
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    tonyp063 wrote: »

Or an unmeasurable amount of satisfaction and joy.

Lovely stuff Ken. Just lovely.
    Agreed. It's a labor of love.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon