What Music Streaming Service do you use

I've tried Qubuz, Amazon Music HD, Deezer, Spotify. Never got around to giving Tidal a listen though.

I gave them all a good workout & truth be told the sound quality I felt were all on an equal par. The only exception was Spotify but it was actually pretty good but not quite on par with the others.

However Spotify had the best UI by far. Very user friendly & a pleasure to navigate.

Amazon Music HD was doable but no where as good as Spotify's UI
Qubuz to me was the most unfriendly to use. Their UI to me was a non starter.
Deezer on the other hand has an excellent UI but not quite as good as Spotify's UI. But their sound quality is excellent.

So I'll be sticking with Deezer for my streaming pleasure. Unless of course a new service becomes available & I'll give them a shot to see how they compare.

My streamer is the Bluesound NODE 2i

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I've only tried Spotify and Tidal, and I keep both of them now. Tidal's catalog and UI are very comparable to Spotify, but Spotify still has a big advantage with suggesting music that I end up liking and digging into more. It's just much better for music discovery compared to every other platform.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited February 2021
    Bluesound NODE 2i with Amazon HD. Felt the say way about Qubuz.

Still haven't decide if I'll stay with Amazon.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I use Spotify to look things up, I will occasionally use it for background music. I had Tidal but gave it up because I didn't like the people who owned it. I have a couple of gigs of music so I don't have that much use for streaming services.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    Milito wrote: »
    Bluesound NODE 2i with Amazon HD. Felt the say way about Qubuz.

Still haven't decide if I'll stay with Amazon.

Definitely give Deezer a try. Nothing like those free trial periods.
    They all have excellent sound quality but when it comes to the UI interface I found Deezer to be closest to Spotify. I was disappointed with Qubuz. To me Amazon HD was a notch below Deezer but still pretty good.

As with all audio topics everyone's mileage will vary
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited February 2021
    Tidal. I will never run our of new music to listen to with Tidal.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8E7_u2qgjE
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Tidal for me Spotify for the wife.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Qobuz via Roon
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Tidal and Pandora
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Qobuz via roon is a awesome! But tidal purchased from Best Buy is so much cheaper that I’m sticking that for at least 6 more months, and purchase cds of stuff I really like and seems to be well recorded...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • I started with Spotify,great music library. Then tried Tidal. Not as an extensive library,but much better sq. Next was Qobuz. I had Tidal at the same time,so I was able to do back to back comparisons. To my ears,Qobuz won every time. I did try Amazon HD,for a couple weeks,but Qobuz won again. That's my story,and I'm sticking to it.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Qobuz via Roon is awesome! I agree with rooftop59. Sound quality is the most important thing on the 2 channel system.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Tidal and Pandora.
    I finally tried running the coaxial digital output from my computer to my stereo and it worked! I can play Tidal on my stereo and the rest of the computer sounds come from my computer speakers. The Windows Tidal app allows me to select how I want the music to play. Whether from the stereo speakers on the computer or via the digital output.
    The Windows 10 Tidal app has an excellent UI btw.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Tidal. Never tried any other service. Tidal android app is kinda lame but the computer version is nice. Lots of suggestions based on recent playlists.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pearsall001
    I don't do anything with my computer. Just the BluOS app on my Android, works like a charm. I just might be tempted to give Tidal a try. But from what I gathered Tidal is geared more to hip-hop & R&B neither one of those genres interests me in the least.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Tidal is geared towards whatever genre is the most searched. I'd suggest we fix that by everyone searching Irish drinking songs!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    But from what I gathered Tidal is geared more to hip-hop & R&B neither one of those genres interests me in the least.

Tidal has some pretty obscure metal. Definitely not everything that I listen to but most of it. Not that you listen to metal I'm just saying there's certainly a lot more on it than it being geared towards hip-hop or R&B.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pearsall001
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Tidal is geared towards whatever genre is the most searched. I'd suggest we fix that by everyone searching Irish drinking songs!

I beg your pardon...make that German drinking songs & I'm right there with ya! Either way a good drinking song is a good drinking song 🍻🍻🍻🍻
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Tidal and Qobuz.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I don't put much stock in streaming music services but I do like to discover music with them. My main music service is Apple Music. I like it as I have everything Apple , I can share it with the family, I can discover new music , It runs perfectly on my Sonos whole house system and it sounds fine for back ground music. It's perfect in the car I have Apple Car Play in both our vehicles.
    When I want to listen to music, I either use Flac downloads or Discs. Yup still put disc's in my Oppo and listen to certain music that way. I also have fooled around with Music players like Puremusic and some of the other ones but I don't find myself listening to music enough to sit and manage all that anymore. I was heavy into DAC's and all that madness which was really fun years ago but I just don't have enough time in the day to really get deep back into all that at this time.

I have however listened to Tidal and didn't find it to sound as good as the actual Disc or downloaded file. It's closer than ever before but if I'm gonna spend money on higher quality music, I want higher quality music not a close enough version.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Tidal, Napster, only for the extensive library, Amazon music but I'm gonna dump them soon, nothing worth keeping above any of the others.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tidal in the house, iTunes in the car.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    mantis wrote: »
    ... When I want to listen to music, I either use Flac downloads or Discs. Yup still put disc's in my Oppo...

Thanks - I was starting to think I was the only one still attached to physical media (CDs, SACDs, DVDA). Granted, first thing I do with a new CD is add it to my FLAC library, but I want to actually OWN my media...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2021
    daddyjt wrote: »
    ... When I want to listen to music, I either use Flac downloads or Discs. Yup still put disc's in my Oppo...

Thanks - I was starting to think I was the only one still attached to physical media (CDs, SACDs, DVDA). Granted, first thing I do with a new CD is add it to my FLAC library, but I want to actually OWN my media...

I got so much physical music to listen To CD's SACD's Albums, Cassettes Flac an MWA files it's crazy dont have the room for any more stuff. That's where Tidal comes in handy the subscription saves me a ton of money on new purchases, I have physical media I havent even listened to yet so yeah tune wise I'm covered for life. Matter of fact its -16 below zero this morning I'm not stepping out of the house might just get to some of that physical media I have not listened to yet instead of streaming today.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

It has been some time since I bought a CD, but I buy 2-3 downloads a week from HDTracks. I only play the stereo on Tuesday and Friday night, so streaming makes no sense to me.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    BlueFox wrote: »

It has been some time since I bought a CD, but I buy 2-3 downloads a week from HDTracks. I only play the stereo on Tuesday and Friday night, so streaming makes no sense to me.

Why only 2 days (nights) a week??
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Because I consider listening to the stereo as a treat. When I play it I am sitting in the sweet spot for six hours. Other times I listen to the cable Metal channel via the soundbar, and that sounds really good.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Awwwwwww how utterly.........................................................boojie of you :D;)
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Much like @mantis, I just use Apple Music, and now with Apple One, it can’t be beat as a family sharing option, including 2TB of storage for Macs, iPhones and iPads. The multi-room, multi-vehicle, and even air travel convenience, as well as the potential for discovering new stuff, just can’t be beat.

Unlike mantis, though, I’ve completely given up on owning physical media.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I suggest anyone who's never experienced Tidal streaming to try it first on a Lumin or Auralic product in a nice system.

The streaming transport, and the experience it provides, is what makes or breaks the Tidal experience.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    TIDAL hifi

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM