My down-sizing pics.. Anybody else have any you want to share?

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Stored on edge, you say???
    pmjmi44gj0m7.jpg
    cfd7ea1388pl.jpg
    sfanvqkkkjbu.jpg
    Those pics are from the pantry and two closets. The 'cleaner' closet is after removing all his hanging clothes, etc. You guys definitely share the collector gene :) Yours looks more organized, though. Most of this stuff is VCRs and lower-grade disc players, and pretty much all from thrift stores. A lot of it doesn't work, or only partially works.

Notice in the second pic the cassette storage faux wooden drawers on the very right edge of the pic. There are probably two hundred of them throughout the house, and almost all full of cassette tapes.

The systems he listened to are very basic. In the living room, Yamaha AVR and cassette deck, Sony 200 disc player, and small Bose speakers. In his bedroom, Onkyo receiver, cassette deck, carousel CD player, and big Realistic Mach 2 speakers (with the butt-cheek tweeters). The foam surrounds were toast.

I haven't gotten to that projector yet, but I know there's another one somewhere in that garage.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I see all those cassette holders. :o

I owned 1. I think it's gone now.

Yup, low priced thrift store finds are hard to pass up.

My book collection mostly came from Good will stores.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2021
    The right side of the A/C wall has been downsized. I CAN'T believe how many books I have/had AND how much they weighed!

f0wu3nd6dryy.png

And my wife and I looked through a lot of books in the house and cleared out a lot.

4gbp1cpg0m9n.png

The purging of this next load from the cottage is still sitting waiting to be removed. There is a stack of books to the right of those on the table now. The pic. doesn't show the final stack on the table. It's about the height of the little boxes on there now.

p3t9d3riros0.png

I only have one shelving unit left in the house to go over. I just turned to estimate how many books there are...and I already went through it. :) I saved 8 books from what was there. I don't think there was that many on that shelving unit to begin with now that I think about it :) .

This next trip will be the 4th car-load.

I look like a moonshiner or drug hauler going down the road. :D

I've also thought about my rear axle breaking. I have a TRUCK, why don't I use it instead? :s
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited January 2021
    In order to downsize.... I’d have to UPSIZE first lol....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Tony M
    edited January 2021
    I went into the back room of the cottage a few minutes ago....It was frustrating!
    I couldn't place a shoe box anywhere along the main aisle.

Well, I did lift up some caulking tubes in a basket to place that little tote thing with paint brushes and painting things on top of that shelving unit.

I have thought about the day I back my truck up to the back door of the cottage many times.

:s>:)

I did install the Anti-Static Puck tonight. Thanks again Dave.

cl3u7mydxd5y.png

2v5kxwm9pu30.png

2cc2ncjeqti4.png

• jdjohn
    Tony M wrote: »
    I see all those cassette holders. :o

I owned 1. I think it's gone now.

Yup, low priced thrift store finds are hard to pass up.

My book collection mostly came from Good will stores.
    He certainly couldn't pass them up. I think it was the thrill of the hunt.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Tony M
    It is.

Just like scratch-offs.

Sometimes you win...sometimes you loose.

I also hated to leave Good-will stores empty handed just to validate the gas going there. Now I didn't buy junk either. I do/did have limits. :D

My last section to look at was the book section. :# Hence my large book collection. :)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Did you read the books?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471

cl3u7mydxd5y.png

Nice! With the microfiber covering on my listening chair, I can generate miniature lighting bolts.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    DaveHo wrote: »

cl3u7mydxd5y.png

Nice! With the microfiber covering on my listening chair, I can generate miniature lighting bolts.

I can shoot blood out of my eyes.
  • Tony M
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Did you read the books?

Only a handful. Religious books on how to keep faith through tough times. Near death experiences which I've had one. They were a BIG help!

My neck issues seriously took away about 7 years of my life. I did buy some books during that time thinking I'd relax on the couch and enjoy music while I read or looked through my collection. Then instead of downsizing when I was near death, I built an addition on the back with the help of a friend in the beginning. It took a long time to build that addition compared to the front. I built the front in 3 months. 4 walls.
    The addition took 1 1/2 years, 3 walls. And I had help with the rear foundation and the side porch.

I DID open and browse through every one on the shelves inside where-ever I bought them.. I did open a lot the past couple of weeks to see if I was still wanting to look at them closer in the future. I knew to just get rid of cook books. They don't like receiving them although I did put in some EASY TO COOK cookbooks.
    Maybe in other words, the ones I might die before ever opening again since I have SOOOOO much more downsizing to do.

I do want to do a second purge of these books that didn't make out on this first round. This next pic. shows the left side had some significant books that might stay for years to come still.

I have yet to pull the books from the top 2 shelves.
    I filled 10 boxes tonight.

I took about 8 boxes to Good will earlier today. I then went to Lowe's home imp. and bought 14 small boxes. They're easier to lift than med. sized ones if it's just books in them. I do have a few med. size boxes left that might get used for stuff we plan on emptying from the attic.

f92d5oqv37tm.png

exzv28zb1bhf.png

Books I have to put back onto a shelf.
    15jw6c49kkks.png

Ready to go... Also, all boxes that have left here and these 10 have been filled with very little space left in them. ;)

lq85rb8dywnb.png

tp9yrmg66h3a.png

Now to clean the porch and cottage of these full boxes. I'm going to call a charity that picks up books in the morning. :)
  • Good work Tony!

I have one or two or three of these in different colors:

92cam1spwy6v.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • jdjohn
    Good job, Tony. I don't know if you have children, but it's good of you to take care of this instead of leaving it as a burden for them :(
  • Tony M
    One day, not long ago, I thought...
    My Wife and step Daughter ( age 42 I think) will just call "GOT JUNK ?" and have them take everything away anyway. :s

I thought:
    I can now, finally, since the yard and outdoor stuff is pretty much taken care of, keep the blood flowing by doing this front room cleaning.

I also want SPACE back in the room for a few reasons!!!!

After space is achieved, I REALLY want to put up ceiling board in the front room like I did in the back. This book clearing is really the first step toward having space to put the scaffolding up in there. I have 5 book cases in there for god's sake. :s

Although, the wood on the side porch and barn shed's insides still needs clearing out too. The Barn shed needs a renovation of it's roof big time. It's about 30 years old.

Doing that back room's ceiling board install sure got the blood flowing . :p

s8odubriv9in.png

bz0rd7cakxia.png

• Tony M
    I also called that charity, The Cape Fear Literacy Council this morning.

They said bring all I want to. :)

The woman I spoke to was soo nice and appreciative I thought of them for my books destination the next couple of times.

After the books, stuff on the floor really needs decisions as to what goes or stays. That stage will be difficult.

I've already taken pics of some speakers I'll post on Craig's list soon. If they don't sell...I'll take them to a charity. ;)
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    When I moved in 2016, I got rid of just about everything but my tools.
    The local charity made out pretty well. Most of the old furniture went as well.
    Moved it all in a UHAUL. I lived in a small apartment for a year.
    That really forced a decision on everything.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    edited January 2021
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    When I moved in 2016, I got rid of just about everything but my tools.
    The local charity made out pretty well. Most of the old furniture went as well.
    Moved it all in a UHAUL. I lived in a small apartment for a year.
    That really forced a decision on everything.

Oh the tools... I have SOOOO many tools too. :) Some I've only used once or twice.

Over the years I've seen so much furniture in Good will stores and Habitat for Humanity, Now Re-Store stores, I imagined people downsizing or moving

Nice furniture! ;) That's why I have two -- 4' wide & 7' tall bookcases in the cottage. A Good will purchase one day years ago. I just downsized the books from them a week or so ago. :)

3zxvh81t50bs.png
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Over the last year or so I've made more trips to donate stuff than I can remember.

I'd guess 90% is gone. I kept just a few items.

Probably should have sold some of it, too much a PITA for me.

Audio storage room is now a bedroom again :)

• Tony M
    I have 2 small boxes of spare remotes. ;)
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    yes, I had a bunch of ac adapters. And of course there has been a few times I find
    myself wishing I'd kept a couple. And my containers of random screws, bolts, and nails.
    And looking at vintage stereo stuff in EBAY, those prices!
    Any Marantz of any size is $$$$. I had a bunch I paid next to nothing for.
    I still have a 1150 integrated. Go check the price on those now.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    I know what your saying. :#

I usually didn't pay much for things either, sometimes I did.

I always sold everything at the lowest prices I felt I could for any given thing. I usually passed things on with little profit hoping others would get hooked on AUDIO like I am.

I haven't donated a single speaker or electronic piece YET.

• Tony M
    edited January 2021
    Heading out...I hope I make it 3 miles to the Charity. o:) I made it! :D

wqqy30w5dpc6.png

19277fj9523y.png

5fpa4igbttat.png

42akvk3ceywd.png

ktgl1gkcsjh8.png

w1wkbz1np5fw.png
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • Tony M
    I took 3+ more boxes of books to the same charity since they said they take cook books too. I had some more books on the back porch that I added to this second trip. I thought the 2 boxes from the porch might've been the weight that would've broke something.
    vjb9qy3d45nq.png

I then went to Good will with some stuff.

Let the next stage begin.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Good job, Tony!
  • A bookmobile as they were called when I was in the 8th grade.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Tony M
    A bookmobile as they were called when I was in the 8th grade.

I remember those. :)

Walk in one door up front, go out the back.

The Cape Fear Literacy Charity is doing a book drive next Tues. and will re-use those boxes I brought in today to box the next donor's books. Cool. :p

Thanks guys.