My down-sizing pics.. Anybody else have any you want to share?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Looks awesome Tony!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Time to get busy clearing out stuff from inside the cottage again. But I have noticed something has to be done on left side porch and the steps I've had temporarily in place for 10 years now.

rwdidxeqtvsj.jpg

8z9monzemghm.jpg

This walk-way is 40' long! Sure is an optical illusion in this picture. :o
    ikm9hujdg0nf.jpg

xnvhkhy9rspr.jpg

ody3ywlpfrzm.jpg

bdh43td4fjwn.jpg

c5eyrxrfmkar.jpg

4a0k6u8dof9h.jpg

h19ld7gnzzgh.jpg

qjodiv6jkb3e.jpg

g8f96i71efap.jpg

My 2nd Heaven;
    a2q2bgq012ju.jpg

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Lookin good. What are you going to cover the Tyvek with?
  • Tony M
    Options
    I have been planning to put vinyl siding on it for 20 years or more. I've done quite a few siding jobs in my life, and I know how easy it is to do. Just don't nail the siding tight or it will buckle like he**.

I was siding a small house and an inspector man shows up to look around. He leans over a deck handrail and asks me, why aren't you nailing the nails all the way down? I told him politely and he says, hum, that makes sense, and he left me to go look at other things. He was kind-of young and new at his job I'm sure.

I was new at siding in my first job and I didn't even know that one panel overlaps the previous one. Or the laps overlapping the nailed one should be toward the front of the building so you can't see the overlap from the street view. Tricks of the trade knowledge stuff. I read the instructions on the box before my first panel was hung and still didn't understand the overlap scale of about 6". He**, I left the panels butted together. I knew it was wrong but only did the 2 panels and I stopped because it didn't make sense. My boss showed up in a few minutes and shook his head. He said he thought I was smarter than that. :D

After I could afford to do anything cost wise, I decided to put ceiling boards on the inside of the cottage's rooms first BECAUSE bugs would show up once in a while and I hate roaches and spiders bigtime.

I bought new homeowner scaffolding to put the ceiling boards up first and I knew I would later use them to put the siding up.

Not long ago, maybe last year, I bought a 3rd scaffolding to reach the peak in the back of the building. I acquired a safety cage with one scaffold purchase, so I will probably use it on the back side. The back side, if I fall off, I'd hit a chain link fence and at a corner section at that. A corner post point in my back scares me as bad as the razor-like top rail of the fence attached to the top rail. That would skin all my skin and muscles off of my skeleton on one side. :s

I just looked at the local stock of siding here in H.D. and Lowe's H.I. night before last. I wanted a pastel green color to match my house but it's not available at either store. I then thought "Cream" to match my shutters and doors on the house. No Cream either.

They have plenty of "white" siding. I could go white very easily but I think I search again. Maybe a real siding installer could do it for me and be able to get either color I wanted too. I'd have one heck of a job moving my lumber hoard off of the side porch, but I could do it in 2 days easily since I organized it last fall.

Lastly, I looked at the 3'x4' thick panels of vinyl siding "shake-look" siding. It's very expensive but I can afford it. I read where this kind of siding gets $$$$4 on the gable ends. Maybe I could use cut-offs from one end and put them on the other end. Front to back seems plausible. ;)

Lastly again.... :D
    I'll be in the shade for 3/4 or more of the job whatever I decide to do. :p
  • Tony M
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I had a friend call me and said he had decided to get rid of his big stereo stuff and just go with a sound-bar and subs. I told him his JBLs were quite expensive still and he still wanted them gone. Instead of throwing them away or donating them, he thought I might like to have them. No cost at all either.

Scott brought them over Sunday and we talked a good while about what's been happening to us the past year or so.

Well the 2 pairs of speakers WERE dirty from being in his garage for what looked like a year. The 2 pioneer sx-3800's need repair but the equalizer is still working he says. If you push a pre-programed button, the dials move up or down BY THEMSELVES. :o;) I saw it in action a few years ago while at his house.

Well, I'm glad I had room to be able to take these in. I do like Cerwin Vega speakers sound most of the time.

The speakers really cleaned up very nicely. The CV grills were almost so dirty I didn't think they would clean up. But they did.

Here's what Scott gave me :) ;

88klljg14mwy.jpg

3ypbabc3rekw.jpg

m8ub14u54t2h.jpg

j1y0mi8n8sir.jpg

a7awdu03mka7.jpg

ccbu9r1w13ix.jpg

5m4petubnclb.jpg

bae8jq3ksgh5.jpg

The backs looked great for some odd reasons. There was hardly any filth at all.
    njqgjgpw1w5a.jpg

All the sides of both pair kind-of looked like this. :#

kx6c7o9zvupi.jpg

7y7rmytu6gqq.jpg

Then, after a bunch of Windex and a bunch of paper towels, they cleaned up GREAT.

I then put liquid gold on the JBL L100's to moisturize the veneer. I looked on eBay for some JBL grills and JUST missed a PAIR for 130.00. I would've definitely bought them. The multi cubed ones.

:p11e0nnmn5832.jpg

xg6fjbtlfexa.jpg

d8r0zf387xlu.jpg

I had fun finding out what worked and what didn't. I don't like the fact that somebody wants 300.00 for a JBL midrange that I need. My one still works and maybe I'll pursue another way to fix it. ;)

Oh, the CV grills. I think I used Resolve foaming cleaner. Directions said spray, wait 30 seconds and brush off with a rag or brush. I used a clean big sponge. Then I hosed them with the jet stream.;
    d91r6m9npm74.jpg

lg6zjm4b4maa.jpg

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Is the issue on the JBLs the cones/ rings?
    A good speaker repair shop can fix that. Not cheap
    though. Here in Memphis Hallford's is the go to place.
    He does classics and a lot of pro audio speaker repairs.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know a place that fixes this kind of damages. ;)

One midrange cone is broken pretty good. It works though.
    oh5whhmu4dv1.jpg

On the same speaker, the woofer has 2 pokes in the surround.
    79lcw69xho0b.jpg

ae2xxsm7ufsr.jpg

The other JBL has a good tweeter but no signal gets to it.

They sounded better and better the longer I played them off and on Tue. afternoon and night. The Cerwin Vegas are sounding better and better also. I played the CVs for my neighbor an hour ago and they sounded pretty good. You can't tell the surrounds are funky or the one tweeter doesn't work.

My neighbor left and I went back to doing outside stuff. Then I went into the cottage to put some stuff away and turned the CVs on again. UPTOWN FUNK came on the radio. I just had to turn it up. :D

These CV speakers are made to play this style of music. B)
  • Tony M
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I got started on the left side porch of the cottage but got derailed by the tiller purchase and usage. But before that, my old friend giving me those speakers and receivers and eq. took up some time listening to those speakers off and on during rest periods.

I might make a walkway along the porch with a bunch of short decking boards I've been saving for decades. ;) I'm also contemplating trying to grow grass there again.
    kscm3dhfhoez.jpg

The short boards are in the center of this picture.
    ge8mqifi7vw2.jpg

I stayed up VERY late the other night removing the old Cerwin Vega woofer surrounds. I just kept moving onto the next steps with each woofer. My wife got up a few times and just gave me the "LOOK" each time. :s I cleaned the old off and glued the new surrounds to the cones. Went to bed at around 3:30am. :o

They turned out pretty good.
    8nmeisxiibgt.jpg

51k3wl0poxyo.jpg

xwf7nfxgbcty.jpg

bmx3ke6yy0l0.jpg

azjphzu4xrg4.jpg

44inllzq11az.jpg

03ic4b1qt5ie.jpg

p3eeuxba1lfk.jpg

tpuog4wzz40r.jpg

z1hf0g39sfl2.jpg

Oreo was watching me off and on from one of his resting spots. :D
    gea3hi6j2ksz.jpg

4rs8vkmraqip.jpg

ettxwc7gpmvy.jpg

baz25or4epzx.jpg

nybntk26rahh.jpg

The old... :s
    k2nzvhm86tru.jpg

The new... :p
    5bdp6jpkm8a4.jpg

45ux9qhkeisr.jpg

I sure like re-foaming surrounds. ;)
  • Tony M
    edited May 2022
    Options
    How can Parts Express have this as a "go to" video for re-foaming a surround?! :o:s

https://youtu.be/jwcfP5pKeek

One commenter said it is a "Hack Job" and I have to agree.

I guess Parts Express wants to appease an audience where this kind of workmanship and end result is just fine. :#
  • Tony M
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Well, My PC told me ( with the pop-up of pics taken on this date over the years thing) it's been 2 years since I regained a lot of space in the cottage. The music is still AWESOME anytime I'm out there. I'm truly blessed!

I've enjoyed my ability to ACCESS most anything I own with little effort for 85% of what I own. The rest just takes some effort to move stuff out of the way like that TETRIS game a member here described.

I got really tired after rotating the wife's car tires so I took a long vacation and got the rest I think I needed.

I got to thinking about rearranging the back room some more and so I went at it the other night. Then another night. Into the 2 am hours both times. Got a lot done too. I enjoy organizing every time. I have music playing on great systems and speakers while I work. A Nakamichi receiver w/DCM TF350s sounds amazing!

Well, I've been thinking about my chess table legs that need 1 1/2" + risers added ( for chair arms clearance so they can slide under the table) and I thought about hollow brass cup extensions like a fellow here or on the chess collectors site mentioned to explore. I looked quite a few times and then the other night, I thought maybe I had found the leg foot base cup/w/wheels that I needed. 10.00 ea. or 25.00 each for nicer ones. But...

I then went to bed and before I fell asleep, I thought about some "Polished Brass Caster wheels" I had collected over the years. I had them in a purple Halloween bucket for 10+ years or more.

I had organized my back room pretty well, knew where the bucket was and went right to it the next day. They would work but they don't lock. I'll figure that out later. I took out the old leg feet and made the Casters fit tight. I like it. I thought maybe the Blue Painters Tape wrapped around the Casters when I want a stationary table. The blue tape can be easily removed afterward. Anyway, here's what I did.

I hope they work out. Cost ?... Not much I'm sure. Probably free.

hk80fg7i5rfm.jpg

hvn75upm0uwd.jpg

7h919mkjtdmh.jpg

8wvjoylnsb1p.jpg

u8th5u9uc00a.jpg

ccqqvk7vgvgf.jpg
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Oreo was scopin' the new claw towers. :)
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Very impressive work Tony! Love your cottage!

I tend to be a bit of a pack rat myself, luckily my wife forced me to go through my stuff every now and then and get rid of stuff I no longer need or use
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Tony M
    Options
    Thanks.

I need to sell a lot more this spring for sure. ;)

As I was rearranging the back room and listening to the Nakamichi RE10, Pics from the web.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/354411731805?hash=item528495db5d:g:WI8AAOSwRQNjfz2k&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsFUORMCHDf4qzVhpf6AfSrBAe6rmDd9xT0fdcl/O5vz98atBYAQ6A0rOfT0K450xJMxnKTf0meaUm/58ZAqaBXpOiEleV0jGWyFoddhco2QIypShYGNSOxkcqV2ROb3saVHzYU12IWIiE++htCOxiPQmB+UufrKD2k5plzS/w5rRT5+4fiwqCGM3WLgwui1IhgoIA4mK8sp/Xw44zgCKlrDaBWZJ9zjOTFaFiHkNV2p5|tkp:Bk9SR-jwqqbDYQ
    fnes6ugghvyt.png
    dnfjrwp7bz5u.png

and TF350's, I thought if that was all I had to listen to music with, I could live with that. It sounds that damn great.