Dynaudio 72s vs. SVS Prime Towers

Options
2»

Comments

• chefsoy
    chefsoy Posts: 22
    Options
    well i knew i would have a million things to consider if i put my pinky toe in the audiophile pool... part of me remains ignorant because - given how obsessive and detail-oriented i become with a smidge of interest in something - i can't afford to attack this hobby just yet with full power. i'd like to get something that puts me in the game for a certain amount $ that i can still add on to - without having to start over a third time

so if I am getting something from SVS, Klipsch, etc. - now i need to get an integrated amp - hmmm. what started as a project to replace the POS decades-old towers...quickly turning into the blackhole i was hoping to avoid - lol. hence my interest in buying used higher-end towers from people i would trust as being knowledgeable where i am not

maye I cut back on the towers - reappropriate the ~1000 tower cash into a pair of RP-600Ms and push the remaining cash into an integrated amp

i do want to say thanks for the tips, "you people" are the type of people i try and hunt down when researching, looking for tips, etc. - forum junkies - the internet was a lot easier to navigate in 2005, miss those days lol
  • chefsoy
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    I would recommend an integrated also. Here's an example of what you can probably find. I bought this about a year ago and love it. Gonna give you better sound than most receivers. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190328/cambridge-azur-740a-integrated-amp

For speakers, I'd recommend a pair of Usher 6311. This is obviously my opinion, but I feel as though they are very hard to beat for the money. The problem is actually finding a pair.

what do those Usher floor speakers cost? you are right, tjhey do seem tough to find for purchase after a few seconds of poking around the internet
  • chefsoy
    edited January 2021
    Options
    maybe what I should do, then, is push some of the ~1,000 for speakers into an integrated amp - and just get some RP-600Ms. The room is fairly small, too, which had me take a pause on having my heart set on some towers, anyway.

i see a used 740 for 500 here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/224325084362 - seems to be the range for a used unit. i wont be too hesitant on this if it's something i shouldn't need to replace anytime soon - but sounds like the sony unit i have is garage sale fodder

edit: i guess i didnt realize my previous posts went up, sorry for the double post
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    edited January 2021
    Options
    You mentioned in your OP that the Dynaudio's were purchased new in November 2008. Any chance they are Audience 72SE? The SE's have an upgraded tweeter, and I think the price is fair plus you might be able to negotiate a bit. Don't rule those out without listening to them first.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    What is your budget and what genre of music do you listen to?
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    Let’s keep bumping this one to the top of the For Sale section ! Maybe we can Go Fund Me this kid to a decent set up!??

I’ll start off with $50.00 towards My Liberty Audio B2B 100 amp !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • chefsoy
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Well, a pretty wide variety, from free jazz to sludge, but I hadn't really considered a budget - I thought i'd be able to get away with a couple entry-level towers for around 1k - but i'm starting to have to come to grips with my lack of knowledge being too much of a burden to purchase wisely without doing much research. im going to end up blowing a system because of my ignorance :| (and how wide of a sound range i listen to)

i might have to wait until tax season is over to see what i can effectively spend. especially if i need to get an integrated amp. i actually was wondering the same re: 72s versus 72SE, but figured the listing would have mentioned them being 72SEs if that were the case. I think maybe I will ask and find out now!

edit: they are the regular 72s, not the 72SEs
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    If you like to listen loud, the aluminum dome tweeter in the SVS Prime towers aren't a great choice, imo.

Maybe consider something from the Wharfedale EVO4 series instead: https://www.wharfedaleusa.com/collections/evo
  • chefsoy
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    If you like to listen loud, the aluminum dome tweeter in the SVS Prime towers aren't a great choice, imo.

Maybe consider something from the Wharfedale EVO4 series instead: https://www.wharfedaleusa.com/collections/evo

i will dig into these - and see if I can spot the differences/reasons behind your suggestion as well. thank you for your advice!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    edited January 2021
    Options
    chefsoy wrote: »
    what do those Usher floor speakers cost? you are right, tjhey do seem tough to find for purchase after a few seconds of poking around the internet

You should be able to get them in the $800-1000 range. A pair went for around $650 on here a while ago, but that was a crazy good deal.

Another idea would be to get a decent integrated now and hold off on the speakers until you save up. You might be surprised at how good your current speakers sound with some good, quality power behind them.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • chefsoy
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

You should be able to get them in the $800-1000 range. A pair went for around $650 on here a while ago, but that was a crazy good deal.

Another idea would be to get a decent integrated now and hold off on the speakers until you save up. You might be surprised at how good your current speakers sound with some good, quality power behind them.

the whole impetus for my speaker adventure is because my left tower's sub is blown/busted - i have a belt secured around the tower with a big homer simpson slipper muffling the rumble lol

it's been this way for too many months now, i need to buy *something* - just dont want to burn money on a stopover before i know waht im doing/spend money on something permanent
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Well, that being the case, my second idea was not a very good one, was it?

I still think you can get a nice integrated in the $300-400 range and new speakers in the $700-800 range that would make you very happy.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Let’s keep bumping this one to the top of the For Sale section !

Ummm...no, I had it moved.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Here’s another idea: pick up a minty used pair of Polk LS-50’s for around a hundy, a nice integrated amp and call it a day. Meanwhile, do more research on speakers and build up more cash resources. The LS-50’s will sound good with a nice integrated, assuming you have a half-way decent player, and you can then more fully get your learn on.
  • chefsoy
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Here’s another idea: pick up a minty used pair of Polk LS-50’s for around a hundy, a nice integrated amp and call it a day. Meanwhile, do more research on speakers and build up more cash resources. The LS-50’s will sound good with a nice integrated, assuming you have a half-way decent player, and you can then more fully get your learn on.

thanks for the advice, i think i have been lean towards your line of thought, where would you suggest i look for used speakers?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Craigslist, OfferUp, etc. Facebook marketplace if you use that trash fire.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »

That’s solid advice. Upgrade your sound and still get your money back once you decide what you really want.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options

Great integrated! Solid for the money, but a little high imho if it’s local pickup. I would offer $250 and go from there. Full asking price isn’t a bad deal, just a little high. But these are rare and don’t come up that often...one of its biggest advantages is HT bypass, so if this is for two channel only you might look for a 640a. Basically same power and more common and cheaper most likely...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • chefsoy
    edited January 2021
    Options
    i am still waiting on a reply for that cambridge 740A - i didnt see much around the internet for a 640a, but i'll keep looking. do kenwood make decent IAs? i found this for sale in just 1 town over from me:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/206649861154950/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

i also see a handful of onkyos, yamahas from the 70s and 80s - for around 150-250
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Dude, buying vintage power gear is a crap shoot. Unless the item has had a full service don't even think about it. Besides that, any from the 60's/70's will not have remote control.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    plus i think in old kenwoods there some part that goes out that cannot be replaced.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I don't think the $775 price is out of line for the audience 72's. If they are mint I would pay that. They are excellent speakers and still one of my all time favorites.
    I use to own the Audience 82's and they where remarkable.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • PSOVLSK
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Any update? Interested to know what you decided to do.