Ronxs Candle Electric Lighter reduces static noise on vinyl

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
edited December 2020 in 2 Channel Audio
ytkgyo7f1jl4.jpg

For those of you who have or remember the Zerostat anti-static gun will already have an idea what this inexpensive device can accomplish to improve the way records can sound. All you need to do is have the record rotating, push the slider switch to the "on" position and push a small button and wave the tip of the lighter back and forth across the surface of the record at about 1/2".
The results are very impressive, less "touch down" noise as the stylus finds the lead in groove and a marked reduction in noise throughout the complete record. Try it you'll like it!
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,446
    Options
    What?!? No way, really? So, the lighter is lit and you wave it back and forth over the record from outer to inner and back again a few times?

That Zerostat is a pain to use properly. No clicks takes some real practice and patience.
    I disabled signatures.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I should have been clearer, there's not a flame, it's like a spark plug discharge. A very small blue arc between the two pole pieces that's releasing ions which cancel static on the record. Couldn't be easier to use, it's the opposite of most audiophile gizmos, it's cheap and easy to use.
  • msg
    Options
    Ohhhhh. So do you hold the button and it keeps the arc going until you let go?

Like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/RONXS-Lighter-Upgraded-Flexible-Fireworks/dp/B07WR9ZX8V
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Nice I remember and used the Zerostat.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes, that's correct. Couldn't be easier.
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    I still use my 40+ year old Zerostat. It's survived solely due to only my hand ever being on it I believe.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Good timing with the cold dry air this time of year. Tis the season!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited December 2020
    Options
    It's survived solely due to only my hand ever being on it I believe.
    Nope, too easy.....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    Since this lighter thing uses a plasma (apparently) -- add a little transformer and a couple of wires and voila*, a low moving mass tweeter (albeit a low sensitivity tweeter)

http://www.plasmatweeter.de/eng_plasma.htm

I do have to say -- with trepidation** 'cause I am a biochemist and not a physicist -- I don't see how a plasma generator deionizes anything. Plasmas are electrically neutral AFAIK; essentially a "gas" made of positive and negative ions.

afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I use this, it's cheap and reduces fire danger.

uaaaeiqy4e1x.jpg
  • msg
    Options
    Looks like some dried hair on there? Seen lots of practical use it seems.

This was the first tool of my dad's that I would break, nailing some 2x4s onto a tree. It's a bit disconcerting when you're hammering away, and then draw back to feel the head go flying off somewhere, while you stand there staring at the spiky top of a broken handle for a second before you realize you don't know where the metal thing is going to land.
    I disabled signatures.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I sent one of these electric lighters as a New Year's gift to my best friend who is a dedicated audiophile with a good ear and not easily impressed. He called me tonight and was amazed at what a difference it made. He just couldn't believe how quiet and clear everything sounded.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    15% coupon (click the checkbox!) on the black one at the link above. I went ahead and ordered one.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I ordered one as well. I have a zerostat, but frankly am not convinced it works all that great. For under $20, why not!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The idea is to have the record turning and with the lighter about 1/2" above record surface move it in an arc from label edge to beginning groove a couple of times. I hope you find it works. I've read positive reviews on other audio forums.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    heh... antistatic... positive reviews.
    I see what you did there.
    B)

• jdjohn
    Options
    ^^^Bunch of hacks on that site :p
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I think I am gonna buy one of these things...

• afterburnt
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I got one but I ain't done tested it yet, still no seating in my vinyl room. If it dern't work I still need it for my bbq and outdoor range.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    If it dern't work I still need it for my bbq and outdoor range.
    Don't forget about scented candles.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Just ordered one.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You could always wait for the audiophile "higgs boson, quantum entangled" version?
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2021
    Options

I got one but I ain't done tested it yet, still no seating in my vinyl room. If it dern't work I still need it for my bbq and outdoor range.

Do you need to sit down to use it?
    ahem.

That is a good point -- it can always be used for, you know, lighting fires.
    That may help me rationalize the purchase to Mrs. H. :|
    You could always wait for the audiophile "higgs boson, quantum entangled" version?

Yeah, but the problem with that is that, whenever I would de-stat a rekkid, someone else's rekkid would have its clicks & pops reduced. Maybe even somewhen else.

:#

PS Note my careful choice of the subjunctive mood in that last paragraph.
    PPS How the heck does one pronounce "RONXS", anyway? How many syllables? Is it the plural of RONX?

B)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Dave van Ronxs and the Hudson Dusters.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Dave von Ronxs and the Hudson Dusters.

Get into a bust up at the Lazy J Saloon

How the heck does one pronounce "RONXS", anyway? How many syllables? Is it the plural of RONX?

The R and X are silent 😉
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Dave von Ronxs and the Hudson Dusters.

Get into a bust up at the Lazy J Saloon

:)

https://youtu.be/UpbNdTY0ogQ
    How the heck does one pronounce "RONXS", anyway? How many syllables? Is it the plural of RONX?

The R and X are silent 😉[/quote]

Are you sure it's not the "N" that's silent?

• afterburnt
    Options

Do you need to sit down to use it?
    ahem.

I am almost too lazy to play vinyl, I am definitely too lazy to stand there and listen to it. I ordered a couch on 10-23-20 and still haven't seen it.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I am empathetic re: spinnin' vinyls. B)
    I've gotten like that myself.

I got a nice new-to-us sofa for my hifi room last year -- it won't fit up the stairs, so it is in our "den" until I get up the gumption to use a tractor's bucket to lift it up to the center window upstairs and bring it in that way.

Meanwhile, I have our son's erstwhile futon upstairs, including its rather bold :p striped cover.

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Maybe this guy had something to do with it?

r0k53hgqbwi4.jpeg