Belles 21a preamp

anyone looking for a Belles 21a tube preamp?
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa7d85-belles-21a-tube
I am not connected to the sale.
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Wow, looks nice. Tempting.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    Looks like it went quick
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Damn! Need to wake up earlier...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Sorry fellas! Thanks for the heads up, Marvda1!
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Damn, should’ve bought it while I was at work...dumb for me to wait til quitting time :/

Congrats @dr1978 !
  • audioluvr
    Do you know if it's the stock version or the Auricap version?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    this is a great preamp, i owned one before i moved up to a DeHavilland ultraverve 3.
    when you first turn it on, nothing works until the tubes warm up.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I bought my 22a from someone on the forum and I have to tell you, it ain't going NOWHERE!😁 The only thing I may want to try at some point is a Parasound 21 power amp.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • hochpt21
    dr1978 wrote: »
    dr1978 wrote: »

Congrats!
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    xsmi wrote: »
    I bought my 22a from someone on the forum and I have to tell you, it ain't going NOWHERE!😁 The only thing I may want to try at some point is a Parasound 21 power amp.

Hmmmm, I may remember that 22a ;)
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    xsmi wrote: »

Hmmmm, I may remember that 22a ;)

You should. 😁
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • audioluvr
    Check out my discussion when I got mine.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/189047/belles-21a-tube-pre-in-the-house

Can't really recommend a tube because my review was based on different amps and I modded my 21a. Your DNA's are a totally different animal than the B&K 's I have (which are also modded) but could be a similar signature as my Belles 350a Reference.
    I have some RCA clear tops that you may like with what you have. PM me if you want to give them a try once you get up and running.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Try some Brimar 13D5’s in it,, you can thank me later :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • marvda1
    I second the 13d5's and also like the mullard cv 4003.
    Puritan PSM156
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    For a 12AU7-family tube I always liked the 5814's, and the early 1950's CBS 5814's are a favorite. Not cheap but really nice.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Yea I've been on the hunt for some CBS 5814, true CBS not GE made. Original CBS/Hytron are very underrated.
    So far it's been crickets...
  • dr1978
    audioluvr wrote: »

Stock. I've never attempted any audio DIY, so I'd be leery, but it sounds like the results are nice.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • dr1978
    marvda1 wrote: »
    this is a great preamp, i owned one before i moved up to a DeHavilland ultraverve 3.
    when you first turn it on, nothing works until the tubes warm up.

Ha, thanks for the heads up, that probably would have got me! About how long does it typically take to warm them up? I keep my SS power amps on all the time. I'm guessing that wouldn't be advisable for a tube pre?
  • dr1978
    edited January 2021
    Check out my discussion when I got mine.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/189047/belles-21a-tube-pre-in-the-house

Can't really recommend a tube because my review was based on different amps and I modded my 21a. Your DNA's are a totally different animal than the B&K 's I have (which are also modded) but could be a similar signature as my Belles 350a Reference.
    I have some RCA clear tops that you may like with what you have. PM me if you want to give them a try once you get up and running.

There are a handful of good threads on the site for 21a's, that was one that i bookmarked!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on tubes. I'll have to start doing some research and tracking down prices. I can spend a bit, but I might need to wait to get the cream of the crop. First I need to get my eyes on this unit and see what tubes are even in it, I never asked.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yea I've been on the hunt for some CBS 5814, true CBS not GE made. Original CBS/Hytron are very underrated.
    So far it's been crickets...

Correct, the CBS 5814 up to 1955 IIRC are what you want. After that, they are GE and not worth it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    You will not harm it keeping it on 24/7. The tubes will just wear a bit faster. Honestly unless you're using super rare and expensive tubes then yea understandable. On and off cycles also can be detrimental to tubes so it's 6 of one half dozen of the other. Many tubes can go thousands of hours. It may be safe to say 5000hr or maybe more since I've seen 10,000hr tubes. Mullard and others made 10m tubes(10,000) so honestly its your call. I leave mine on from Friday to Monday most times.

As for warming up, I turn my tube pre on and 10min later I'm sitting it the sweet spot. My pre actually has a limited start up as it will not allow signal to pass until it switches to high voltage after about 1 minute or so. At that point supposedly the tubes are good to go.
  • dr1978
    Sounds good, appreciate the info
  • marvda1
    when you plug the preamp in you will hear a small click inside the pre, so there is some power sent to the preamp. when you hit the power switch it will take about a minute before anything works. it got me the first time as i kept trying to use the volume control on the remote.
    Puritan PSM156
  • audioluvr
    The tubes on the 21A are on all the time only with low voltage. When you power up they have about a 2 minute delay as they warm up to full voltage. The Raytheon long black plate halo getters I use marked "Baldwin" are reasonable and at least on my system are sublime! They have an excellent holographic quality that brings the music forward and all around you. Not sure how that would match with a system that's already forward but it's an inexpensive option to consider. I liked them so much I bought extras for backup.

As for upgrading your caps, it is a worthy challenge but then again I regularly restore cars/boats etc. so... If you're up for it let me know and I can walk you through what needs to be done.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    I had a 20a that I should have kept,, with that said,, pop some auricaps in it and roll some tubes,, my favorite were the Brimars,as the Belles is somewhat dark and the caps and tubes just made it sparkle. Good luck,, it is a great pre,,enjoy!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • dr1978
    Thanks everyone. Good news, it finally shipped and the seller said he included a few extra tubes! Didn't ask what kind...I'll give ID'ing them myself a shot, but I'd expect to see a reply here at some point Wednesday night! I'll post some pictures either way.
  • dr1978

Full disclosure, I only assumed it was stock because there was no mention of Auricaps in the description. As I'm counting down the days until Wednesday, I decided to take another look at the picture. Well well well, looky here....

ytnqk4r0h6kd.jpg
  • audioluvr
    Nice!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• marvda1
    edited January 2021
    @dr1978 open that puppy up. here is an internal pic with auricaps. i recall david belles saying you don't have to replace that fifth cap up front.903resltswlh.jpg
    Puritan PSM156
  • audioluvr
    The Auricap (and Audioluvr) upgrade eliminates the crappy Daytons and bypass caps. ;)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC