PMC twenty.22

Comments

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited February 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    That’s a great protective barrier. Wonder what it does to the sound?
    They called it the Tangerine waveguide. https://www.kefdirect.com/blog/tag/what+is+tangerine+waveguide?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    FTGV wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    That’s a great protective barrier. Wonder what it does to the sound?
    They called it the Tangerine waveguide. https://www.kefdirect.com/blog/tag/what+is+tangerine+waveguide?

It comes in different colors too!
    9dso74zyoxr4.jpg
    15zl6yoquui0.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Not to be confused with Altec's Tangerine phase plug of the 1970s, I guess... :#

66zi1gco30ow.png
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited May 2019
    After several months of listening to these PMC speakers, I'm afraid they are starting to ruin other speakers for me. Namely my old Polk LSiM 703s and my 2.1 computer setup with Polk Blackstone TL3s. Obviously apples and oranges, but still.

I hooked up the 703s about a month ago just for kicks, and to reacquaint myself with their sound. After a few tracks, I thought to myself "I can't listen to these anymore".

First, as I cranked up the volume, the bass became incredibly boomy and out of control - completely overpowering the other elements of the song. However, the thing that was bothering me the most was the way the tweeter sounded at higher volumes. It just had an unpleasant harsh, hard, and flat quality to it, especially when getting into the 80-90db range. It was physically uncomfortable. I guess now it makes sense why I always preferred to listen to the 703s at lower volumes. When I crank the PMCs up to these higher levels, the tweeter never gets hot or fatiguing - but remains incredibly detailed.

I listened to a few tracks on my Blackstone TL3 2.1 setup earlier this week, and it wasn't really enjoyable either. It honestly sounded like the speakers had grilles made out of thick burlap that was obscuring the sound from the tweeter, and the bass from the sub sounded flabby, loose, and overpowering.

Nothing has changed, aside from me getting spoiled apparently. The treble resolution of the PMC twenty.22 tweeter is literally night and day versus these other speakers. It just mops the floor with the 703's ring radiator tweeter. It's really one of those "you just have to hear it" type things. It's like going from SD 480p to HD 1080p.

I do still think they would benefit from a high quality SVS sealed sub, or a Rythmik servo sub, but I can always explore that at some point in the future when I have a better room. If I had to choose between the bloated bass-reflex style ported bass from the 703s, versus the lean yet extremely clean and tuneful bass of the twenty.22s, I'll take latter.
    Post edited by Clipdat on
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Very cool Clip
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Glad to hear you are liking the .22 speakers. Are you still considering an audition of the Buchardt S400s?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    In general, I'd love to hear as many different speakers as possible. I'd definitely be interested in hearing the S400s in my own room, after being impressed with them at Axpona.

However, I doubt I will be selling the PMCs as I would likely have to take about $1k less than what I paid for them, as it seems like their value has dropped recently. So in that case, I will just hold on to them since I feel that I got a good deal on them, and I'm a bit attached to them now. I do think they do several things "right", and I know they would perform even better if they were on stands and set up properly.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited May 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    However, I doubt I will be selling the PMCs as I would likely have to take about $1k less than what I paid for them, as it seems like their value has dropped recently. So in that case, I will just hold on to them since I feel that I got a good deal on them, and I'm a bit attached to them now.

I'm disappointed. :cry: Cause I wanted to buy em! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    I have heard them on stands (as we have talked about) and they are glorious at imaging. Some of the best stand mounts ever at that price point ($5k retail)
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2019
    Not to nitpick, but I think the original MSRP was $4k.

According to this review at least: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/bookshelf/pmc-twenty-22-monitor-bookshelf-speakers-review/
  • joecoulson
    Yeah sorry. You’re right.
  • Clipdat
    A little over a year later and I'm still logging hours on these bad boys. In hindsight these have turned out to be an excellent purchase, especially at the price I paid. I'm happy that these are my reference monitors!

PMC's latest line is a refreshed version of their twenty5 series, called twenty5i: https://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/twenty5i

I'm working on getting a pair of the twenty5.22i speakers in for review, so I can compare them to my twenty.22s and evaluate what the newest generation brings to the table.
  • Clipdat
    A little more info about the new twenty5i series:

"PMC’s now-legendary twenty5 series won five-star ratings and awards worldwide, and were chosen to form the reference surround system for What HiFi magazine — the speakers by which all others are judged. But true innovators are never satisfied. Our team never stops looking for ways to hone their designs, using new technologies, materials, or discoveries, including innovations from outside the audio industry. This quest has led to the creation of the new twenty5i series speakers — where ‘i’ stands for improved. The new range offers everything that made the twenty5 series so sought-after, but with even greater realism, transparency and musicality."
  • Clipdat
    And some more information specifically about the new tweeter, exciting!

"The new twenty5i high-frequency driver, a 19mm SONOMEX™ soft-dome design, was derived from the high-frequency unit on PMC’s premium fact speaker range; both were co-engineered with respected Norwegian driver manufacturers SEAS. The dome on the twenty5i range is mounted in the centre of a large roll surround, an arrangement which gives the effect of two drivers in one; it can produce the wide dispersion of a small-dome driver and the higher output of a larger driver. The newly designed ultra-rigid HF dispersion plate and grille enlarge the optimum listening position still further, meaning you can listen from a wide variety of positions in your room and still enjoy PMC’s consistent, ultra-detailed sound with razor-sharp imaging."
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2020
    Bumping my own thread just to express how happy I still am with these speakers. They have served as a valuable reference point for me over the nearly two years that I've had them. Especially so when reviewing components and other speakers.

By this point, I've gotten to know what amps they pair up best with and how PMC has voiced them. I'd still like to explore other PMC speakers in the future, as I feel like it's an overlooked brand here in the US.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Drew, I noticed the time between your last two posts here. It seems like March 3rd was a very, very long time ago. Happy New Year.
  • Clipdat
    I thought the same thing about how it has been almost two years since I bought these! Apparently time flies when you're listening to good music.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Bumping my own thread just to express how happy I still am with these speakers. They have served as a valuable reference point for me over the nearly two years that I've had them. Especially so when reviewing components and other speakers.

By this point, I've gotten to know what amps they pair up best with and how PMC has voiced them. I'd still like to explore other PMC speakers in the future, as I feel like it's an overlooked brand here in the US.

Nah, not overlooked. Lots of brands don't get show time around here for a couple reasons.

Most members are used to budget friendly Polk speakers, while many other brands that produce an upscale sound also come with an upscale price. Many Polksters are on the cheap side. Can't even get them to spend more than 80 bucks on cables, lol.

Lots of competition in the bookie market. You can spend half your life trying to get ears on them all and still not cover them all.

You can listen to any price bracket speaker brand but in the end what you bring home has to match your wallet first and then your ears.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    Awesome speakers bro, Very Nice!
  • Clipdat
    Thanks Jay! Once I have a dedicated listening room I'll probably pair them up with a nice Rythmik sub!
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2020
    Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to clean the gold binding posts, especially the inside area where the banana plug goes?

vvob6u25d7qj.png

I've noticed that since I got them, they've always had a flat/tarnished look. How can I get them cleaned up and looking shiny again like they did when they were new? Like this:

t6cd9bkh6h1n.png

py94y9ajmesx.png
  • Clipdat
    I actually think it would be awesome to upgrade the crossovers on these. @VR3 let me know when you are ready.

pmc-twenty-22-monitor-bookshelf-speakers-fig6-lg.jpg
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    edited December 2020
    My wife has a Tiffany's collection of silver and gold and it tarnished up fast, Midas touch polishing Rouge stuff works like a dream on all metals bro even the plated ones, But nothing will work if the plating is rubbed off but it looks ok from the picture, grab yourself a tub.. it is worth it!

Also, Get yourself a buffing pad and a soft hair brush, Most plated metals are like polished Aluminum when it starts to oxidize, you have to use the right cleaner & Rouge to get the shine back.

Your terminals don't look to bad if they were real bad you could always use 1- cup white Vinegar & 2- tablespoons of Baking Soda ratio as needed, this recipe will clean most metals by just soaking them in it, but all you will need is the Midas touch cream and a little buffing bro..

https://www.amazon.com/Midas-Touch-Metal-Polishing-Cream/dp/B075SWQW12/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Sterling+Silver+Cleaner&qid=1609291449&sr=8-6
    Post edited by JayDog on
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    Lots of potential there! I should be free after first quarter of 2021!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2020
    Looks like there's not much internal clearance for the crossover components and that even stock it gets in the way of the TL:

a3fe0f4194e29dd8e9ac18324547887165a14c61.jpg

xlqwy0fqpu3y.png

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    Only limitation is our imagination!

kyt9p19clei1.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Looks like there's not much internal clearance for the crossover components and that even stock it gets in the way of the TL:

a3fe0f4194e29dd8e9ac18324547887165a14c61.jpg

xlqwy0fqpu3y.png

Looks like a great candidate for an external crossover box :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    Yeah it definitely seems like having that area free from obstruction would allow the TL to function more effectively.