PMC twenty.22

1235»

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 21,448
    joecoulson wrote: »
    That’s a great protective barrier. Wonder what it does to the sound?

I would like to think :) that in 2019 they've kinda taken that into account.
    edited February 2
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    This is another good option.
    5mhfhwjtmdw7.jpg

m3uqenfbyiwj.png

or...

j31421gpu69w.png

;)
  • FTGVFTGV Posts: 3,615
    edited February 2
    They called it the Tangerine waveguide. https://www.kefdirect.com/blog/tag/what+is+tangerine+waveguide?
  • halohalo Posts: 4,988
    FTGV wrote: »
    They called it the Tangerine waveguide. https://www.kefdirect.com/blog/tag/what+is+tangerine+waveguide?

It comes in different colors too!
    9dso74zyoxr4.jpg
    15zl6yoquui0.jpg
    yeah, I know ;)
    Not to be confused with Altec's Tangerine phase plug of the 1970s, I guess... :#

66zi1gco30ow.png
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 6,462
    edited May 9
    After several months of listening to these PMC speakers, I'm afraid they are starting to ruin other speakers for me. Namely my old Polk LSiM 703s and my 2.1 computer setup with Polk Blackstone TL3s. Obviously apples and oranges, but still.

I hooked up the 703s about a month ago just for kicks, and to reacquaint myself with their sound. After a few tracks, I thought to myself "I can't listen to these anymore".

First, as I cranked up the volume, the bass became incredibly boomy and out of control - completely overpowering the other elements of the song. However, the thing that was bothering me the most was the way the tweeter sounded at higher volumes. It just had an unpleasant harsh, hard, and flat quality to it, especially when getting into the 80-90db range. It was physically uncomfortable. I guess now it makes sense why I always preferred to listen to the 703s at lower volumes. When I crank the PMCs up to these higher levels, the tweeter never gets hot or fatiguing - but remains incredibly detailed.

I listened to a few tracks on my Blackstone TL3 2.1 setup earlier this week, and it wasn't really enjoyable either. It honestly sounded like the speakers had grilles made out of thick burlap that was obscuring the sound from the tweeter, and the bass from the sub sounded flabby, loose, and overpowering.

Nothing has changed, aside from me getting spoiled apparently. The treble resolution of the PMC twenty.22 tweeter is literally night and day versus these other speakers. It just mops the floor with the 703's ring radiator tweeter. It's really one of those "you just have to hear it" type things. It's like going from SD 480p to HD 1080p.

I do still think they would benefit from a high quality SVS sealed sub, or a Rythmik servo sub, but I can always explore that at some point in the future when I have a better room. If I had to choose between the bloated bass-reflex style ported bass from the 703s, versus the lean yet extremely clean and tuneful bass of the twenty.22s, I'll take latter.
    Post edited by Clipdat on
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 2,576
    Very cool Clip
    SPEAKERS - ELAC ADANTE AF-61, TOTEM RAINMAKER, SONUS FABER SOLO, DEFINITIVE TECH SM350, MIRAGE OASIS, SONOS PLAY 5 & 1'S, SVS SB16 ULTRA

POWER - PS AUDIO M700, LINN LK240, MARANTZ SR5013

PRE/DACS - PS AUDIO STELLAR GAIN, CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CXN V2

SOURCE - DENON 2910, SONY CDX355, JVC XM448, REGA P2 (MODDED) ANIA CART, REGA FONO MC, XBOX 1 S, TIVO BOLT

POWER/WIRES - AQ NIAGARA 5000, AQ HURRICANE HC (2M), AQ MONSOON HC (2M) , AQ COLORADO XLR (2M & 1M) AND RCAs(1M), AQ VICTORIA(1M), ACOUSTIC ZEN SATORI W JUMPERS(3M), ATLAS EOS PC, WW STRATUS X3/AURORA X1 PC, AQ CARBON HDMIs

MISC- OKKI NOKKI RCM, HARMONY ELITE, SONY 75XBR900E
  • halohalo Posts: 4,988
    Glad to hear you are liking the .22 speakers. Are you still considering an audition of the Buchardt S400s?
    In general, I'd love to hear as many different speakers as possible. I'd definitely be interested in hearing the S400s in my own room, after being impressed with them at Axpona.

However, I doubt I will be selling the PMCs as I would likely have to take about $1k less than what I paid for them, as it seems like their value has dropped recently. So in that case, I will just hold on to them since I feel that I got a good deal on them, and I'm a bit attached to them now. I do think they do several things "right", and I know they would perform even better if they were on stands and set up properly.
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • verbverb Posts: 6,078
    edited May 9
    Clipdat wrote: »
    However, I doubt I will be selling the PMCs as I would likely have to take about $1k less than what I paid for them, as it seems like their value has dropped recently. So in that case, I will just hold on to them since I feel that I got a good deal on them, and I'm a bit attached to them now.

I'm disappointed. :cry: Cause I wanted to buy em! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus Subwoofer, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 su, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    I have heard them on stands (as we have talked about) and they are glorious at imaging. Some of the best stand mounts ever at that price point ($5k retail)
    SPEAKERS - ELAC ADANTE AF-61, TOTEM RAINMAKER, SONUS FABER SOLO, DEFINITIVE TECH SM350, MIRAGE OASIS, SONOS PLAY 5 & 1'S, SVS SB16 ULTRA

SOURCE - DENON 2910, SONY CDX355, JVC XM448, REGA P2 (MODDED) ANIA CART, REGA FONO MC, XBOX 1 S, TIVO BOLT

POWER/WIRES - AQ NIAGARA 5000, AQ HURRICANE HC (2M), AQ MONSOON HC (2M) , AQ COLORADO XLR (2M & 1M) AND RCAs(1M), AQ VICTORIA(1M), ACOUSTIC ZEN SATORI W JUMPERS(3M), ATLAS EOS PC, WW STRATUS X3/AURORA X1 PC, AQ CARBON HDMIs

edited May 10
    Not to nitpick, but I think the original MSRP was $4k.

According to this review at least: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/bookshelf/pmc-twenty-22-monitor-bookshelf-speakers-review/
    Yeah sorry. You’re right.