Polk Design Principles and Technology

Hi all,

Wanted to share this video we created a few weeks ago since I thought it was pretty interesting and would be perfect for the forum.

Most speaker brands look and sound different. Phil Jones (Director of Product Information) is joined by Scott Orth (Director of Acoustical Systems) and Michael Greco (Senior Director - Loudspeakers category) to explore Polk design decisions. Watch the full video below!

youtu.be/4lHHemNL5A4

Let us know if there are any other topics you'd like for us to explore in the near future.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited September 2020
    Pretty cool, Alma. I didn't know Sound United had a channel.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Thank you for the wealth of knowledge presented here In this video. Really informative. Looking forward to the SDA presentation.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Hi guys, keep up the good work.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2020
    Nice! Thanks for sharing the link... I shall peruse anon.

It is interesting, isn't it, that loudspeakers do tend to have a characteristic sound -- and I am not the least bit convinced that the usual metrics/specifications used to assess loudspeaker performance tell us all that much about how they're actually sound in a real room, with any arbitrary amplfier driving them. :|
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Please remove the 'sticky' that keeps this at the top of the 'New Discusion' thread. Thank you.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited September 2020
    Thanks for posting these Webinars on Youtube. I only found them in the last month or so and find them to be very informative because they are NOT marketing but show people how to get the best out of what's available today.

Phil does a great job with these. The videos deserve a higher profile.
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    I learned a lot. It may change how I listen to music.
    Thank you.
  • The ring tweeter looks pretty darn flat

03j82s0p4rac.png
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    The ring tweeter looks pretty darn flat

03j82s0p4rac.png

They didn't burn a hole in the dome either.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Buh bye Kimmy... Reported
  • BlueFox
    edited December 2020
    Too bad we can’t get of the sticky that keeps this thread at the top of the Recent Discussions forum.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Too bad we can’t get of the sticky that keeps this thread at the top of the Recent Discussions forum.

Just bugs the snot out of you doesn't it? Has from day one....
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    Good video with allot of solid info... thanks!
  • learni43
    learni43 Posts: 1
    edited January 2021
    Can someone please contact me my polk soundbar suddenly stopped working.My name is Tyson Shumate i can be reached at ...-...-....Or by email .........@gmail.com
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    learni43 wrote: »
    Can someone please contact me my polk soundbar suddenly stopped working.My name is Tyson Shumate i can be reached at m

@KennethSwauger , can you edit out his personal info and point him in the right direction?

Pizzas are on the way BTW...

• Will do, thanks for the heads up!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    What I like about these videos is they are very similar on how we use to get manufactures training. The Reserve series has videos like this as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • BlueFox
    fhy5khtt3ei6.png

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2021
    The ring tweeter looks pretty darn flat
    Correct me if I’m wrong, don’t ring tweeters tend to be more directional compared to domes?

Thanks. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2022
    Intro. Physics final exam, Fall 2022.
    "Consider a cat, C, of long axis a, short axis b, mass m and gravitational potential energy = m*g*h, where h = 1.1 m. Calculate the trajectory and final landing place of C given this information and the photograph below. Does C get the kibble?

Hint: C may be considered a prolate ellipsoid to a good approximation."

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2022
    prolate ellipsoid

6h1cxt1l9wjf.png

cat (loaf configuration)

fydeudk0kkai.png
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

cat (loaf configuration)

5kahgkfh7ffv.jpg

kmfd58756s1p.jpg
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Boy, am I sure sick of seeing myself as the last poster in this thread since effin June?

55yuaqkyrlp6.jpg
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,527
    There's a way to un-pin it, so it acts like any other thread, though I've forgotten how I did it. But, anyway, there you go. You're not last anymore.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 8
    ... but these posts aren't very technological. :p
    Back in the seventies, Polk's epochal passive radiator technology was reverse-engineered by many competitors. Perhaps the most notable of these was Panasonic (still Matsushita in those days), who audaciously shared the underpinnings with the great unwashed public. :o
    55gtck4iahlt.jpg
    jhj4744tuh0y.jpg

B);):D