Mako Hip replacement

my retirement is starting with a new hip on Friday...wondering if anyone has had one using the mako robotic arm...any bits of advice to the healing and rehab appreciated....thanks

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    i had a knee replacement.....painful.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Ouch. What a way to start retirement. Hope surgery goes smooth
    Randy/Maine
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I had a friend who's 70 just get one in the spring. Reg. surgery.

He said rehab was fine. Slow to start but walking slow was his plan for each day for a month. A little longer walk every couple of days he told me.

Then step training. He said that went well too. SLOW and STEADY he told me. Up and down...SLOWLY.

Then getting in and out of his truck training. Then driving his truck. I think it took 8 months till he could drive with confidence.

Slow but methodical he told me.

He never took the pain pills the Doc. gave him.

He's a tough old guy though! Up at dawn, go to bed early. Eats healthy.

Being slim and trim helped him a lot I'm sure. ;)

I hope your surgery goes well.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2020
    Knock on wood, but, other than my heart, the old body at 71 seems to be holding up. I am taking 4 pills a day for the heart, and that seems to be working. Isn’t science grand. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    Good luck!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Tony M
    Good Luck. ;)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    That's real encouraging, Marvin lol

I haven't heard of anyone with the specifics to that hip replacement, but with any of the joint replacements or surgeries, I've heard that following the physical therapy regiment to a T is key. I've also heard people tout the benefits of a quality CBD oil. No experience with either, but the stories were from knee, hip and shoulder procedures.
    I disabled signatures.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Knock on wood, but, other than my heart, the old body at 71 seems to be holding up. I am taking 4 pills a day for the heart, and that seems to be working. Isn’t science grand. :)
    \
    If it wasn’t for science we’d be screwed. I had both of my hips don at Emory, I’d do it over again in a heart beat.!!!

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    I have not had anything replaced yet. Did have something removed though.

Either way bud, if you need anything, let me know and I'd be happy to help out a local Polkie.

If you need me to go catch some fish? That might be a problem as I apparently suck at fishing. But ill try.
  • Tony M
    CH46E wrote: »
    I have not had anything replaced yet. Did have something removed though.

Either way bud, if you need anything, let me know and I'd be happy to help out a local Polkie.

If you need me to go catch some fish? That might be a problem as I apparently suck at fishing. But ill try.

Sounds like your GREAT at fishing.

Just suck at catching. :)
  • Tony M
    Again...Good luck today. o:)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Good luck, take it slow and steady, but follow all the doc and PTs orders to the letter!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Tony M
    How did the surgery go?

Great I hope.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Of the 3 most common joint surgeries shoulder is the worst followed by knee and then hip. At least that's what my wife was told in knee replacement therapy. For knee and hip it pays to be as fit as possible. Less weight on those joints the better.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Completely agree with the shoulder/rotator cuff. I had it and thank god for the nerve block and opioids. Getting dressed by yourself is a VERY painful experience. That pain while getting dressed or undressed will bring tears to your eyes and take your breath away.

To be completely clear mine was bicep-rotator cuff and rear shoulder muscles reattached. It was a major 5hr surgery. I do not ever want another.
  • CH46E
    Glad you are up and moving. My mother i. Law has had both knees replaced. I was amazed to see her walking the first day.

The days of long bed rest are gone.

Like I said ..... if you need a hand with anything let me know.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    My wife had hip replacement surgery just five weeks ago. Doc said she was in the top of her class and took her off the walker last Friday and gave her the green light with no restrictions. She did all of the PT, exercises and followed all of the recovery rules.
    I am amazed how soon she is back on her feet.

Hang in there!

BTW: I suck as a nurse..............
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Dang, all that sounds painful. Hang in there. Prayers out to you for quick recovery.
    Randy/Maine
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    i always took pain medication 20 min. before rehab :'(
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    marvda1 wrote: »
    i always took pain medication 20 min. before rehab :'(
    YES this is GREAT advice does take the edge off
  • NotaSuv
    CH46E wrote: »
    Glad you are up and moving. My mother i. Law has had both knees replaced. I was amazed to see her walking the first day.

The days of long bed rest are gone.

Like I said ..... if you need a hand with anything let me know.

THANK YOU
  • NotaSuv
    machone wrote: »
    My wife had hip replacement surgery just five weeks ago. Doc said she was in the top of her class and took her off the walker last Friday and gave her the green light with no restrictions. She did all of the PT, exercises and followed all of the recovery rules.
    I am amazed how soon she is back on her feet.

Hang in there!

BTW: I suck as a nurse..............

MOST important do all of the PT when scheduled and don't over do it first few weeks.......

• CH46E
    Need me to come change any disc or LPs let me know. Diapers I don't really do! :p
  • NotaSuv
    So far all good.....PT going well.....hope all had a great Holiday...hope to be fishing in a few months :)