New DAC ordered: The Border Patrol SE-i

Options
It took me a while to narrow the playing field down to two DAC choices: The Border Patrol SE-i or the Chord Qutest. Also in the hunt were a few DAC's from MHDT Labs, Schiit Audio, PS Audio, SMSL, Aune, Topping, Benchmark, Soekris, Denafrips, TEAC, Mytek, Musical Paradise and quite a few other manufacturer's.
You can't believe how many DAC companies are out there.

Having had a few delta-sigma DAC's over the years I wanted to switch things up a bit & go retro or as some might say "Old School" so I did some digging & saw that R 2R ladder & Multi bit DAC's were making a comeback & the FPGA (field programmable gate array) technology was also a viable option.

After all was said & done I decided to pull the trigger after taking with Gary (the owner) at Border Patrol.

Gary said it will take about a week to ten days for the build & I should expect delivery in about two weeks or sooner. I am looking forward to hearing the "Old School" DAC & will let you guys know my impressions.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Congratulations on your purchase! I’ve been experimenting with DACs recently,and I think my next sample will be an r2r DAC. I’m looking forward to hearing your opinion on the Border Patrol.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I read a several reviews of the BorderPatrol and am really intrigued. Not cutting edge tech and a very unconventional implementation of both it and the tube in the power stage. You'd think it would fall short in dynamics and be fatiguing based on the age of the chip but the reviews say it just sounds right.

Coincidentally, I lived very close to Waldorf, MD, several years back. Was still re-cutting my teeth in audio and didn't know of BP. Wish I had and was able to audition his offerings. Really interested in your thoughts and, if in the market, it'd be on my shortlist to try...especially with the available trial period. I predict you'll like it. Oh, and the price is nice, too.
    Post edited by JayCee on
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    I read a several reviews of the BorderPatrol and am really intrigued. Not cutting edge tech and a very unconventional implementation of both it and the tube in the power stage. You'd think it would fall short in dynamics and be fatiguing based on the age of the chip but the reviews say it just sounds right.

Coincidentally, I lived very close to Waldorf, MD, several years back. Was still re-cutting my teeth in audio and didn't know of BP. Wish I had and was able to audition his offerings. Really interested in your thoughts and, if in the market, it'd be on my shortlist to try...especially with the available trial period. I predict you'll like it. Oh, and the price is nice, too.

That's a shame that you lived in Gary's neck of the woods but didn't know about his company. I'm sure that would have been a nice visit.

From what I have read about the r-2r chips and in particular the vintage Phillips TDA 1543 the one Gary uses was well know for it's musicality.

From what I can gather (my opinion here) is that technology has gotten so good that the newest & greatest delta-sigma dac chips are able to render every nuance of the music in hair splitting detail and at the same time sacrificing the music's soul. Now this is an over exaggeration but you get my gist.

The DAC chip is only one of the many parts that make up the sound signature of any DAC.

It will be fun listening to Gary's SE-i DAC to see how it conveys the soul of the music and if the many reviews about the DAC's musical capabilities hold true.

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I have wanted to get my ears on that dac for a bit. it has some great reviews.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I have wanted to get my ears on that dac for a bit. it has some great reviews.

Yes indeed the reviews are very positive. I'm really looking forward to how it sounds in my system.
    Maybe old school done right just might be my new huckleberry. Time will tell!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Congrats Phil, looking forward to your thoughts also.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Congrats, look forward to your review.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Congrats Phil, looking forward to your thoughts also.

Hey Tony,

I've added a few new pieces to my 2 channel set up & figured it's time to tackle a new DAC.

My recent additions:
    KEF R3 monitors
    Rogue Audio RP-1 tube pre
    Parasound ZM 2350 amp
    Bluesound Node 2i streamer
    KEF Kube 8b sub

My current NAD D 1050 DAC has kept me very happy for the last few years but time to move on.

I'm hoping the BP SE-i DAC makes for a worthy new addition.

I'm looking forward to it & will definitely fill you guys is on it's old school performance.

• pearsall001
    Options
    The BP SE-i DAC is scheduled for delivery Mon 12/14. I'll be posting my review shortly. This should be fun!
  • pelhamplace
    Options
    I have had my eye on this DAC and I’m really looking forward to your review.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    The BP SE-i DAC is scheduled for delivery Mon 12/14. I'll be posting my review shortly. This should be fun!

Is it home and hooked up yet? Don't leave us hanging :)
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Not yet... recent email from USPS said they are running late. Hopefully soon!!👍
  • tonyb
    Options
    Hmmm, dang Phil, I thought after your CJ pre, you swore off another tubed pre. Or is my memory shot ? :)

Don't answer that, If I don't know there's still hope.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Man you're going way back! The CJ was SS, not tube. I also gave a Krell SS per a shot around the same time. Neither one floated my boat.
    Now this Rogue tube pre has really upped my listening pleasure!
    Now to see how the BP dac lives up to it's reputation.
  • jumpindick
    Options
    Not yet... recent email from USPS said they are running late. Hopefully soon!!👍

Oh C'mon man!! Really? Dem USPS
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I've been waiting a week for a new laptop that USPS says is "running late". Hopefully you have better luck.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    monepolk wrote: »
    I've been waiting a week for a new laptop that USPS says is "running late". Hopefully you have better luck.

Ah man...just my luck too! 😭 In hind sight I probably should have taken a drive & picked it up. Not too bad a drive from South Jersey to Maryland.
  • monepolk
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Yeah it's a good thing I have an old one. They have changed my delivery date from the 7th to the next day to the next for the pass week always saying running late. Hopefully you won't have to go through this. This was purchased from BB on 11/22. :/
  • tonyb
    Options
    As usual Phil, we'll give ya approx. 1 hour after receiving for a review. :) That's being a tad generous too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I haven't even received any delivery up dates yet. I'm totally in the dark & it is signature required to boot. I need to make sure I'm home when they show up. One would think that maybe the USPS is new to the delivery business. Lol!

Don't worry Tony...I'm on it as soon as I get it. Whenever that is.
  • monepolk
    edited December 2020
    Options
    You can set it up so that they text you tracking updates so you won't be waiting around. They won't start until it's ready for delivery though. Although this is the first time I've tried it.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    monepolk wrote: »
    You can set it up so that they text you tracking updates so you won't be waiting around. They won't start until it's ready for delivery though. Although this is the first time I've tried it.

I'm already set up for all updates via text & email. Still haven't heard anything from them. No wonder they are broke. Any other business would have been shut down by now if they ran things like the USPS. Just terrible service.
    Oh well, now it's just hurry up & wait.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    It's here!!!! Well almost...it arrived at the South Jersey USPS facility at 5:05 last night. No other info on when I can expect actual delivery though. It can't be long now. 👍
  • pearsall001
    Options
    You won't believe this!!! I've been working from home & I received an updated email & text that the package was delivered & signed for by a T Esposito.

I have no idea who T Esposito is or what address the package was delivered to. I'll call the Post office tomorrow to find out where my DAC is!?! This is too crazy 😧
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    You won't believe this!!! I've been working from home & I received an updated email & text that the package was delivered & signed for by a T Esposito.

I have no idea who T Esposito is or what address the package was delivered to. I'll call the Post office tomorrow to find out where my DAC is!?! This is too crazy 😧
    What a headache! Fingers crossed it can resolved quickly. I would generally be pretty upset with the post office about that, but I think they deserve a bit of understanding this year.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • monepolk
    Options
    I've seen this before too, if it was shipped via UPS then handed off to USPS. That could be the person at USPS who signed for the package.
  • monepolk
    Options
    This could be a good thing :)
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    did you try to google that name in your city?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I called Gary at BP & he was at a loss. He said that never happened before... just my luck!

I'll call the local USPS where it shipped out of to see how this can be resolved.

Hopefully the guy that signed for it realizes the mistake & drops if off to me. But we're in the middle of a snow storm so l don't expect that to happen too quickly.

Gary was thinking the same thing that the guy will bring it around.

I did try a local google search but no luck.

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a big pain in the you know where.
  • jumpindick
    Options
    You might want to post on Nextdoor neighbor and see if someone in the neighborhood received your package by mistake.