Electric

124»

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    I know for a fact in my area of the country the old infrastructure of the power system wouldn't handle the strain that electric vehicles would put on it if they go mainstream. The system can't even handle it now, the power goes out quite frequently not do to storms, but because transformers keep being overloaded.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    invalid wrote: »
    Bet you can't drive across the country as fast in an EV as a combustion engine vehicle.

As often as I have to pee and stop for breaks because of my bad back/hip/neck/knees/shoulder etc. I'd probably be a tossup.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    So will be $4 a gallon gas. Likely to hit $5 or 6.
    And less natural gas means KW costs hitting new highs.
    That's the plan, price cars and trucks off the road.
    We all will have to go urban and live like NYC.
    Or dress in spandex and pedal our way around.

Hey now, spandex does nothing to flatter my manly curves. I much prefer pre shrunk cotton. If it's not pre shrunk, I can do that too....lots of experience in that department. 🙂
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's a fools errand.

Bingo....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Im hoping Dodge or Chevy come out with a clean coal burning vehicle soon!
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Kex wrote: »
    ...Maybe @cmy330go could chime in more with personal experience specific to the EV aspect, but he hasn't been on much lately. I've yet to meet an EV owner who regrets his decision or would ever go back.

If an EV fits your lifestyle, and solar fits your budget and situation, go for it. EVs are outstanding daily drivers, and yes supporting the vast majority of your home's, and car's power needs is possible in many situations.

There is no way I'm going to address all the flawed info posted earlier, so if someone has any specific questions, feel free to message me.

HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • What flawed info ?
    Don't have to do all, just a couple would be fine. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • invalid
    I believe the milage goes way down on electric vehicles when you have to use the heater.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    invalid wrote: »
    I believe the milage goes way down on electric vehicles when you have to use the heater.

or in cold weather (due to battery efficiency) I would think.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics being what it is, using the A/C should draw down the charge (i.e., cut into the mileage) even more extensively. :(

Range Anxiety is still my own personal big stumbling block vis-a-vis goin' electric.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    The new unsafe at any speed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    So will be $4 a gallon gas. Likely to hit $5 or 6.
    And less natural gas means KW costs hitting new highs.
    That's the plan, price cars and trucks off the road.
    We all will have to go urban and live like NYC.
    Or dress in spandex and pedal our way around.

The notion of making things so expensive that the vast majority have to do with less is not that far fetched. It is actually a major component of Climate policy. They are doing it with beef and other meats. They want to ban further construction in several areas here in CA, and want to stop people from rebuilding in certain areas after a natural disaster.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • invalid
    They are putting bike lanes where in my area, so we can all ride bikes everywhere.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I have to admit I rode a bike to work for a couple of years.
    A DUI prompted that decision.

I was in great shape doing that!

I kind of enjoyed it.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • cmy330go

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/companies/electric-car-fire-risk/index.html

"...It says the 300,000 Teslas on the road have been driven a total of 7.5 billion miles, and about 40 fires have been reported. That works out to five fires for every billion miles traveled, compared to a rate of 55 fires per billion miles traveled in gasoline cars..."
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • cmy330go
    edited November 2020
    Oops. Double post
    HT

2 CH
  • F1nut
    cmy330go wrote: »

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/companies/electric-car-fire-risk/index.html

"...It says the 300,000 Teslas on the road have been driven a total of 7.5 billion miles, and about 40 fires have been reported. That works out to five fires for every billion miles traveled, compared to a rate of 55 fires per billion miles traveled in gasoline cars..."

It also says, " But Risser said still there's not enough data to make valid comparisons at this point." The reason being there are hundreds of millions of gas powered cars on the road compared to only 300,000 Tesla EV.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cmy330go
    Keep in mind that article is 2.5 years old, and Tesla alone has delivered well over 300k EVs so far this year. If you consider that nearly every EV fire is apparently deemed news worthy, it seems clear that they are still far less prone to fire than their gas counterpart.

Let's not forget in recent years that Ford too has had large recalls for cars that spontaneously combust. I actually personally know someone that had their garage, and home damaged from that debacle.
    HT

2 CH
  • F1nut
    Suuuuure

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I do like the idea of home solar, but in my neck of the woods the hail storms would take them out about every other year.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited November 2020
    I'm still disgusted that we haven't seen a vaporized liquid fuel carburetor vehicle make it to the masses yet. Ford had several patents back in the early 80's that have long since expired and they never officially did anything with.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    Kex wrote: »
    CGTIII wrote: »
    This article from two years ago addresses hydrogen as well.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181029130939.htm

Is this link working for anyone? @CGTIII

Hmmm. Something lost in transition... Let's try again:
    https://news.gatech.edu/2018/10/29/finally-robust-fuel-cell-runs-methane-practical-temperatures
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Yup @CGTIII - that fixed it! 👍

Looks like an interesting read. Two years “old” though... so the technology may not have gained much traction outside of the theoretical application.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    In other news...

GM is increasing spending to $27 billion to make 40% of its cars electric by 2025.

One of thecompany's goals to become the market share leader in electric vehicles in North America, GM CEO Mary Barra said.

GM To Become Market Share Leader in Electric Vehicles
    Alea jacta est!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    If GM quits producing diesels, they lost another customer
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Kex
    For the true heavy duty customer, I don’t see how that could happen in the near future. The vast majority of truck drivers don’t actually need a truck, but for those who do, diesel still has relevance for some time to come.
    Alea jacta est!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Once upon a time I said I could never go back to being w/o a van. These days I say the same about a truck....so I own 2 :)

Most people do not need a truck(mine are true work trucks) and most diesel drivers don't need that either, just a choice.

I look forward to the day of owning an electric car for many reasons. Guess I'll have to put up additional solar panels though.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.