Electric

Options

Comments

• charley96
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    You won't be able to afford fly. Gas will be to expensive

Yes, the days of 2.00 gas will soon be over.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    So will be $4 a gallon gas. Likely to hit $5 or 6.
    And less natural gas means KW costs hitting new highs.
    That's the plan, price cars and trucks off the road.
    We all will have to go urban and live like NYC.
    Or dress in spandex and pedal our way around.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I agree, it must really suck to be you.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2020
    Options
    charley96 wrote: »

I hope you are correct as that will signal people are getting back to work. I would hope that no matter whom is president

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• sucks2beme
    Options
    I agree, it must really suck to be you.

Yes. I pay attention to things like the plans of our government.
    Gas was going up at some point, but suddenly going from energy
    Independence to importing oil again is going to hit wallets hard.
    Going green is good. Doing it in a hurry with a bad plan isn't.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Someone needs to be thinking past gas.
    Maybe hydrogen is better. It certainly stores
    Easier. The tech to burn it is pretty conventional.
    It creates water when burned. Either way at
    Some point oil runs out. China has starting
    Building pebble bed reactors that are pretty much
    Meltdown proof. That tech is a good source
    of cheap power. Double win, more electricity
    and it also can be used to power hydrogen cracking.
    Wind and solar can't easily be stored without, you
    Guessed it, batteries. But you can use it to crack
    hydrogen to use later.
    Either way, yes the fools are rushing forward
    Without thinking through the issues.
    Batteries are the weak link here.

They're thinking about it. Follow Elon Musk on Twitter.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Options
    Ha, I have the best of both worlds, A pinto that runs on methanol
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I hope the Pinto has good brake lights! You don't want to get slammed in the rear!

Pinto or not, I think there's a joke in there somewhere...
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,929
    Options
    CGTIII wrote: »
    This article from two years ago addresses hydrogen as well.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181029130939.htm

Is this link working for anyone? @CGTIII
    Alea jacta est!
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    Someone needs to be

They're thinking about it. Follow Elon Musk on Twitter.

I don't twitter, tweet, facebook, or twatter(southpark refererce).
  • Kex
    Options
    Given there will be a push to make transport electric, did anyone do the math?
    We are looking at a household with two cars using 30-50% more power than
    They do today. The grid in most states isn't going to handle even a modest
    Increase in demand.

If we go electric (our cars are 14 and 15 years old right now, so we could think about replacements at some point), we would do it with a solar roof as well. That would solve the cost problem and the distribution problem, but does require an initial investment. We would almost never have to charge away from the house, maybe a dozen times a year, or less.
    Alea jacta est!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,695
    Options
    charley96 wrote: »

Correct, just filled up at $1.49/gal

Do you really believe petro will go away?
    It will be hard to explain future wars over electricity.

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • motorhead43026
    edited November 2020
    Options
    ^^ future wars will be over water. The oil thing has been played out.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    ^^Including civil wars.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,695
    Options
    The infrastructure for oil is MUCH bigger than electrons.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Given there will be a push to make transport electric, did anyone do the math?
    We are looking at a household with two cars using 30-50% more power than
    They do today. The grid in most states isn't going to handle even a modest
    Increase in demand.

If we go electric (our cars are 14 and 15 years old right now, so we could think about replacements at some point), we would do it with a solar roof as well. That would solve the cost problem and the distribution problem, but does require an initial investment. We would almost never have to charge away from the house, maybe a dozen times a year, or less.

Do you understand how many solar panels you would need to be able to charge your average Tesla at a rate that doesn't require an 8-11 hour charge time?

Your average suburban home with a 1500 square foot footprint doesn't have enough roof space. Especially since most roofs do not face the ideal direction to gain the most time in the sunlight.

Every house would need it's own solar farm with pedestals that had the panels mounted to follow the sun through the day. If you live in areas above or below the tropic lines then your winter time daylight hours would have significantly reduced solar energy exposure from both sunlight intensity and duration that you likely wouldn't be able to fully recharge a battery bank that went below 25% full in the amount of daylight available.

Additionally, you would need a pretty extensive conversion system to convert the DC current from your average solar panel to the AC current your house and charging system would require. To get affordable solar panels that actually work on days that aren't full of clear sunshine, you'd need amorphous silicon panels. You can get panels that will be about 40" x 12" and put out about 25-35 watts for about $70 a panel. That's about 1 square meter.

Now, you can get 400 watt panels but they cost significantly more than $100. Way, way more than $100.

Your average Tesla Model 3 has an 11.5 kW onboard charger and needs roughly 30,667 watts to support it if you're going to charge the car with just solar power. A single, cheap, 400 watt panel costs about $250 and is about 45 inches by 20 inches for about 2 square meters of area, get the more dense compact ones that are about 20% smaller and you're closer to $300 a panel for the cheap ones. A more realistic price panels that are worth a damn is $450-$500 per panel.

But, to support 30,667 watts to charge a Tesla Model S, you need about 77 of the 400 watt panels. You'd need 1227 if you use the more affordable 25 watt panels.

77, 400 watt panels at 2 square meters each is 154 square meters or about 1700 square feet and the panels alone would cost anywhere from $20,000-$40,000.

1227, 1 square meter panels is 1227 square meters or 13,000+ square feet and would cost about $85,000. That's a third of an acre, BTW.

So unless you want to build a solar farm in your yard just to charge your Tesla, your average household does not have the square footage to support charging an electric car that is commensurate with what the average consumer, around the globe, not just the U.S., expects from an automobile for range, acceleration, handling, safety and comfort.

All this above is for ideal conditions and panels operating at peak efficiency. Your solar panels will not charge anything at night. So unless you switch to the night shift for work, you're going to be using grid power no matter what and the draw on the grid power for millions of 11.5 kW chargers needing 30,667 watts each to power them is astronomical and there isn't boo a personal solar farm on your roof, your shed roof, the car port roof you need to build to hold more solar panels but still have a driveway to park your Tesla so you can charge it and whatever is left of your minuscule acreage your house is on will do to keep the load off the grid.

Also, what do people who live in cities and don't own any property do?

But you go ahead, you keep thinking that electric cars are a super great idea and we're not just thinking about it right.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    Like I said electric cars are a fad for the green people who just want to say they are going green, none of them ever seem to do the homework on these things. It's just like the LEED house I worked on, we could only have 2 dumpsters on the job after that everything had to be hauled away with pick up trucks, definitely not green but looks good on paper.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    My current car (Mazda3) I bought new in November 2004. While it still works fine, at some point I will have to replace it. Now that I am retired my driving is greatly reduced so I might go electric for my last car. All car manufacturers are going big time with new electric vehicles and in a few years there will be quite a variety of choices. There is no denying that the days of gasoline are coming to an end.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • invalid
    Options
    I don't think gasoline is coming to an end anytime soon, plus to many products are made out of the leftovers.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    edited November 2020
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    I don't think gasoline is coming to an end anytime soon, plus to many products are made out of the leftovers.

Denial is not a river in Egypt... :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BlueFox
    Options
    My main dislike with electric cars is they all have an automatic transmission. I have never owned a car with an automatic, and I'm not sure I want one.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • invalid
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »

Denial is not a river in Egypt... :D

I'm not denying anything just being realistic, do you have any idea what would happen to the economy if gasoline production was stopped even in the next 20 years. It will stop when it's not economical no longer.
  • motorhead43026
    edited November 2020
    Options
    ^^ geez, nobody is going to stop gasoline production. It will phase itself out eventually. All major oil companies are preparing for it now. Research and see how much they are diversifying, even the Saudis are preparing for life after petroleum.

In ten years oil demand will be in decline Y/Y. But it’s not going anywhere soon.

The game now is building plastics plants to make up for lost revenue in the energy sector. All we need is more plastic to choke on.

• Kex
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    My main dislike with electric cars is they all have an automatic transmission. I have never owned a car with an automatic, and I'm not sure I want one.
    For the most part, they don't have any transmission, because they don't need one.

Electric motors deliver maximum torque from a standstill, whereas ICE's have to use a transmission. You can't drive at 100 mph in first gear, but you can't move off from a standstill in 7th gear. Electric cars don't suffer from those limitations.
    Alea jacta est!
  • invalid
    Options
    ^^ geez, nobody is going to stop gasoline production. It will phase itself out eventually. All major oil companies are preparing for it now. Research and see how much they are diversifying, even the Saudis are preparing for life after petroleum.

In ten years oil demand will be in decline Y/Y. But it’s not going anywhere soon.

The game now is building plastics plants to make up for lost revenue in the energy sector. All we need is more plastic to choke on.

That's what I was saying it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Plastic feedstock comes from the production of natural gas mostly.
  • Kex
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    Do you understand how many solar panels you would need to be able to charge your average Tesla at a rate that doesn't require an 8-11 hour charge time?
    You misunderstand my intentions.

I haven't researched this much, since I have no immediate desire to replace our existing vehicles, but, the idea would be to use solar to generate most of the energy needed for the residence, which could easily be done, and which is mostly needed during peak hours, when the grid would be most stressed. We could then use the grid to charge the car at reduced off peak rates at night, when it's least stressed (which for SoCal Edison in our area is after 9 p.m. to midnight, and at any time from midnight until 4 p.m.). During those times, each kWh costs about one third the peak rate.

Furthermore, any electric vehicle with a range of 200 miles or more would rarely be driven those 200 miles in a single day, so the battery would almost never be fully discharged. For normal usage of about 30 miles a day (or whatever), it would require less than 10 kWh to charge the vehicle at night. That's about one quarter of summertime average daily usage for us, so it should work out economically, and we'd never have to visit a filthy gas station ever again.

I also found the idea of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles appealing, and there's even a fueling station near our local store, but that doesn't seem to have gotten any traction with the manufacturers.
    Alea jacta est!
  • invalid
    Options
    When gasoline becomes unaffordable we will have hydrogen vehicles. Hydrogen is the most abundant element.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    The infrastructure for oil is MUCH bigger than electrons.

electron infrastructure

j0hiap6mhfg8.png
    5dkdakr7ksgi.png

g8f21h983zli.png

• sucks2beme
    Options
    California has announced they intend to kill off all burning of fossil fuels.
    So has the president elect. I don't think they care about the $$$
    it costs or jobs. I'm hoping sensible people step in and organize it.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    "General Motors Co. joined a growing group of automakers promising an emissions-free future for cars by pledging to sell 20 all-electric vehicles by 2023."

https://www.industryweek.com/technology-and-iiot/emerging-technologies/article/22024275/gm-maps-allelectric-future-with-20-models-arriving-by-2023

Three 20 amp circuits.