Point to point

2»

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    Vr3 do you use terminal strips or do you actually wire the components point to point?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited November 2020
    I only use a terminal strip in very very odd circumstances where the component wouod need to be removed easily.

I try to do point to point with as little extensions as possible, ie, from lead to lead versus lead to wire to lead

Terminal strips where you can secure the wire to the other wire is a good connection, imo. If you are apssing it through a thin wire and two screws, not so much
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    VR3 wrote: »
    I only use a terminal strip in very very odd circumstances where the component wouod need to be removed easily.

I try to do point to point with as little extensions as possible, ie, from lead to lead versus lead to wire to lead

Terminal strips where you can secure the wire to the other wire is a good connection, imo. If you are apssing it through a thin wire and two screws, not so much

You do it the way it's supposed to be done then. I always see tube amps that advertise point to point but it's far from actual point to point. You really are a true artist.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    VR3 wrote: »
    Yeah but you can technically do that with point to point. They make molex connectors and such that can accomodate point to point. But i understand

Yeah, I should have started a new thread, as it is not technically point-to-point. I had the idea awhile back to make this type of X-over because I can reproduce it on-the-fly and it comes with it's own structure. I saw no one answered my question about thick traces, so I'll just give it a go.
    Gardenstater did reply that the thicker traces could affect the tweeter frequencies. Is that much of a concern? I know electrons travel on very outer surface of the metal.

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    I personally wouldn't want to use a sheet of copper for wire connections. Would have to question the purity, clarity and interference. By the time you cut out each individual trace and then secure it to a board, the amount of labor would be extreme. Unless you are able to buy a dual layer product with a non conductive layer that holds it together as you remove the copper you don't need and leaves the traces on a stable substrate.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.